Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Bad news?

8K views 50 replies 40 participants last post by  rooterpig 
#1 ·
So I went out back of the barn today to move some steel siding.
Between the buildings and the woods there was a 20' x 60' area that was all turned up into rolled over clumps.....went maybe 4-5" deep.
Am I looking at wild hog damage? If so it would be the first incidence of it I know of in this part of Iowa.
We've been on this place 26 years and and have never seen ***** do overnight damage like this.....and nobody around here has commercial hogs.
Any thoughts?
Grass Lawn Groundcover Plant Tree

See less See more
#8 ·
This was a grassy area I keep mowed up between a soybean field and a 70 acre river/timber plot. No obvious tracks but I didn't have time to look real close yet either.
However even our 300# and up deer are not known to tear up much more than a 2'-3' dia. scrape....not 600 sq ft.
We'll see what the DNR has to say(emailed them already)- of course they keep denying that mountain lions exist here even with them being filmed and shown on the local news.

#14 ·
Better get a handle on them or they'll do a LOT of damage REAL quick!

#17 ·
As others have said, feral hogs. I agree it is a small sounder of them. As specific as the rooting is they were looking for something in the ground. There are a number of tubers and roots they go after. As someone suggested, contact your wildlife people. They need to know about it. I don't think it would be a case of farmer Brown's domestic hogs getting loose.

#21 ·
About 10-12 years ago some individual(s) imported a trailer load of wild hogs and dumped them out in the public hunting area near here, for seed I guess.

The sounder decided to feed during daylight hours in an open private bean field that was just emerging. One of them managed to escape that day, but came back to feed the next day and was not lucky a second time.

I say get with the program and get them eliminated.

#22 · (Edited)
I don't do trail cams. I like surprises I guess.
However, the DNR when I contacted them, was out here pronto with trail cam in hand.
I'd heard there had been a few hogs in S.E. Iowa several years ago. I'd like to harvest one some day......but in someone else's state.

Fingers crossed it is NOT feral hogs.

#23 ·
There are an incredible number of them around my area. Like fleas on a 2 dollar dog.
I hear some people are actually making a business of exterminating them for farmers, and also offering guided hunts.
Never saw any need for a guide myself.
They are fairly self evident when they are around.
I also happen to be blessed, or cursed, with a would be Hog Dog. I have a MinPin that goes after them relentlessly if she gets a whiff of them. Took her out to a friend's farm where hogs are a problem about a month ago just to see if she still was Hog Wild. She was. Probably get herself rubbed out if I am not careful.
Maxi, the Hog Dog.
In her dreams anyway.
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.