Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Sorry for not updating the status of this year's trips until now. Just so many unknown's and variables.

As most of you probably know, International travel has pretty much been shut down by the WuFlu. Two of us in the June trip had already purchased airline tickets and then a few weeks later, it all closed up and flights cancelled. We were still hopeful flights and boarders would be opening back up in time to make the June dates. Unfortunately, while Botswana has eased it's internal travel restrictions, as of today, the boarders are still closed. So, with only a little more than a month till departing, we decided it was prudent to cancel the June trip. Too many variables in getting there and back right now.

On a positive note, we're still planning for the Aug trip to be a go. Bob is just going to bump over but unfortunately A.D. can't make the change - has already lost too much work time due to the lock down to take anymore time in Aug.

So....very hopeful the Aug trip is still on and have four of us going and would have room to take one more with us if anyone might be interested in going.

Also, I'll be putting together trips for 2021 later this year. I'd like to do one PG hunt to NW Namibia with myself and just two others and one or two trips back to Botswana. Dates for each still to be sorted out but will be sometime between mid May to late Sep and over the prime full dark of the moon weeks. I'll kind of leave the dates open and the first person who decides they want to go we'll work the hard dates around their choice of dates and country.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Quick update - Bots has started to relax their lockdown a bit further. Now, citizens can freely travel within their own districts (think large counties) but still need a permit to move between districts. They hope to drop that restriction by 1 Jun and if all goes well, open the boarders by 1 July.

Qatar Airways opened up bookings from the US to Qatar, then to J'berg with the final leg on Air Botswana. So, we booked our flights Thursday. $1000 r/t with upgraded seats. Just need separate r/t from home(s) to Chicago. Four of us going and could still make room for one more if someone wants to go.

Depart 12 Aug and all meet in Chicago mid-afternoon in time to make the evening flt to Doha. We start flying back on 26 Aug and would be back in Chicago mid afternoon of the 27th.

If anyone is interested PM me and I'll give you the flight details.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thought it was time to up date this thread and the status of our Aug hunt.

Up until yesterday (Friday morning), everything was still "hopeful" for our 12 Aug departure. Botswana wasn't officially "open" yet but was still some rumors floating around with the locals there that it might just be open in time for our arrival on the 14th. One or our group was signed up with the US State Department traveler program and had entered his (our) travel dates with the US Embassy in Gabby. Yesterday morning he received an email from the US Embassy in Gabby the Gaborone Covid 19 regions was going back into complete lockdown. Even the locals could not leave/enter that district. We even tried to see if we could reschedule flights for Sept and could only get bookings to J'berg and that's it and mid/late Oct gets just a bit too warm during the day.

So......regrettably, it looks like Africa is off the books for us completely this year.

On a happier note:

The govt did officially roll the elephant and buffalo concessions that were tendered and won this spring to all of next year to the same people.

Second thing is, I'm already starting the planning/organizing trips for 2021. I'd like to do a small group 14-day (10-actual full hunting days) trip sometime between mid May and Mid June and another same 14-day (10-actual full hunting days) small group mid July to mid Aug both trips centered over the dark of the moon. I'd also like to take a leopard hunter to the mountains of NW Namibia for a 14-day leopard and PG hunt over the full moon of late Sep to early Oct 2021. Reason for the later dates for the leopard is the water up in the mountains will have dried up by then, forcing the game down to the permanent water points in the valleys and the night temps will be warm enough you wont be freezing your nads off.

Besides myself, I've already got one spot taken for the May/June trip and one spot taken for the Aug/Sep trip. Leaves two spots open for each.

I'll start a new thread on the trips for 2021 in a few weeks when things start settling down a bit.

M3
 
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Top