Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, having been a fan of the 45/70 since the mid 70's (1970's I'm old but not that old) and having been without a 45/70 since 86 (my 1895SS was stolen), I now have another 45/70. My first was a Navy Arms siamese mauser, nicknamed "Thor". Made the huge mistake of trading it off, but soon thereafter bought my first Marlin, the 1895. I really, really liked that rifle. Like I told the cop back then who was taking the report, it's like a very comfortable, favorite pair of shoes. Accuracy was pretty good, on the order of 2moa for the most part, some better, some worse. After it was stolen, I didn't replace it for a number of reasons. Then the Guide Gun came along and started me thinking about it again. I was seriously contemplating a Guide Gun for a while and then in the past few weeks, son of "Thor" showed up as part of an estate sale. While it's not a Marlin, I'm back into the 45/70 world with another mauser.

I'm getting back up to speed on the latest reloading for the 45/70. I still have the dies, press, and all the other stuff to roll my own. I had some pet loads for Thor and the 1895, most involved the 350gn Hornaday rn, 400gr Speer and 300gr Speer hp. Charges were various amounts of 4064, 3031 or RL7.

So I've joined this particular board, even though my Marlin is somewhere out there, because this is the only one I've found that has a 45/70 specific forum and it's a Marlin one as well. So guys, as far as a Marlin, I'm with you as a fan and former owner, but the price on son of Thor was too good to pass up (like sub $200). Few at the sale knew what it was, nobody knew what the 45/70 is capable of, and hey, it's a clunky old Navy Arms mauser with a broken stock, who'd want that? Me, that's who! Well, with some judicious woodwork, it's ready to start back into service.

Which brings me to the current question, the answer I haven't found via search yet. I'm planning on taking my new siamese friend white tail hunting this fall. I'm in a rifle/gun friendly state in the southeast. Ranges will be probably no more than 100-150yds max. Usual stuff, moderate to dense cover. Just the right place for a 45/70. What I would like to know is, what loads are you guys using for deer? The new plastic tip bullets look interesting but are they really worth it? No, I don't plan to shoot cast as still have over 300 of the 400gr Speer bullets left from back in the day. I do like the idea of a moderate load with one of the new bullets. I know what the 400gr Speer is capable of from a mauser, but what about this new bullet in a mauser?

Lots of stuff from a long time lurker, but hey, I have a 45/70 again and that feels pretty good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Hornady FTX bullets will be fine for whitetail, but aren't needed at the ranges you're looking at shooting. Myself, I like the Remington 405 for whitetail at about 1500 - 1600 fps, but don't push it much above 1800 fps as they seem to come apart at those velocities and up.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
jm951 welcome to the forum ;D The mauser will be a fun project. We will expect updates as the gun and loads progress :) Someone will be along with a bullet suggestion for the bullet proof deer in your area ;D

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Ditto on the welcome to the forum! I'm soon to join the ranks of the 45/70 Clan myself, buying one from a member here, who has another one he likes better. I don't hunt these days, but only for lack of a suitable place to do so. I think when it comes to killing deer with the 45/70, placement matters more than the choice of bullet, there aren't many deer the 45/70 can't perforate even with mild loads. If it was me just starting out and looking for a hunting load, the Remington 350 would be my first choice, though a good cast bullet at 1500 fps would likely do just as well. 8)

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
The load I settled on with my .45-70 Mauser is 57.5 grains of IMR3031 behind a 405 grain Remington soft point. At 50 yards it cloverleafs every time and shoots 1.5 - 2" groups all day at 100 yards using the 2.5X post reticule scope on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, stock is repaired. If it will hold together, we'll see. I know the previous owner and he bought this stock because he liked the style. He didn't do a great job of finishing up the inletting and the full power rounds he was shooting cracked it right behind the tang and down into the wrist. I tweaked the inletting and injected epoxy into the crack in the wrist. It should be fully cured and ready to test tomorrow.

As for loads, I was intrigued by the new Hornaday bullet. I am used to the 400gr Speer and in a mauser or #1, you can drive it fast enough to act like a giant varmint round, but I have no intentions of doing that anymore. What I am interested in is a moderate velocity load that shoots a bit flatter than the 400gr and that Hornaday looked to be the ticket. Does anyone know where there is a trajectory table on this bullet for a given velocity? Also, and I'm sure I've overlooked this somewhere, but what is the ballistic coefficient and sectional density of this bullet? Considering I'm looking at a mv of about 1700, I suspect that there isn't much difference between this bullet and the 400 gr speers as far as terminal ballistics.

I'm getting back into hunting again and nothing much has changed over the years. Guys are just gaga over the latest high velocity bb gun and if you look at the ballistics of many older, established rounds, there just isn't much difference out at 100+ yds on target. Those guys can stick with the bb's I'll go back to my low velocity bricks. ;D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome back to hanging out with the "big bores". Sorry to hear about Thor. I personally think we should start a campaign and put pictures of our "kidnapped" loved ones on the back of milk cartons. ;D

·
Registered
161 Posts
I myself prefer the 405 gr Black Hills Cartriges at 1250 fps, puts 1/2" groups at 50yds with my 1895 SBL , easy on my shoulder, and has no problem putting a nice clean hole in a paper target. The Hornady Leverevolutions 325gr are a good round for hunting deer but alot more kick then I want for target practice.
I haven't reloaded since the mid eighties but am going to get back into it real soon and reload my own with the 405 gr lead flat nose to a velocity of around 1300 fps. I'm not sure what powder I should use because I have only loaded large hand gun cartriges in the past using Unique Powder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts