Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the Reno gun show was a great show, as usual! Got to visit with some old friends, and meet some new. Firday after the show, a few of us got together for a rare drink, and spent several hours just reminiscing, and talking guns!
Sold a few guns, (by chance) to previous buyers who were looking for me at the show. Funny how the same folks keep looking to see what's for sale each trip. Also bought a couple more for the collection; but not Marlins. There were a number of nice old Marlin lever actions available, but just too darned high priced to try and upgrade for my collection!
The two guns I bought were both single shots, and by coincidence, both were .32-20's! One is an 1885 Winchester Low Wall, with 28" #1 weight octagon barrel. It's in very nice condition, with near perfect wood (straight grip), and an oustanding bore! All original in every way, and still has traces of the original case colors on the receiver. It's a 60,000 serial number, so it should date to around 1892 era.
The other gun is a factory engraved Stevens 44, with a 28" half octagon barrel, with straight grip stocks, a vernier tang sight, and Lyman combo front sight. The whole gun is in very nice condition, with most of it's original finish on the barrel, wood, and receiver. Likewise, the bore is like new also, and should be a fine shooting iron. The engraving is absolutely gorgeous, with an elk on one side of the receiver, and a bear on the other.
I'll try and post some pictures, once I've had time to unpack, and settle back in!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I've always wondered how the 32-20 performs acurracy-wise. It must be a performer if it was chambered in the Stevens 44, and the low wall. Let us know how they shoot!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Edited for typo's- keyboard at work is psychotic :p

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Doc,
The .32-20 is a great performer as far as accuracy is concerned, but with limitations. I have a model 1894 with 28" full octagon barrel that will print under 1" at 50 yds. it's still not bad at 100 yds, because it's a pretty hot little round, but the lightweight bullets drop off pretty fast, so it wont go too far!

G

·
MM93, nice looking Stevens :!: I'm kinda partial to the 44 and 44 1/2 :D While at Reno what did you see in Marlin 1892 , 1893 and 1895 old models :?:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tons of model 1895's and 1893's at overpriced prices, but some guys will negotiate a lot. One of my traveling companions bought a standard model 1893 rifle for $525, and it was a very decent gun. The asking price was $700, so the seller really came down. it's a .30-30 with 26" octagon.
I also saw a model 1891 .32 Colt, with 28" round barrel for $650. Funny thing was I used to own that gun, and the guy I sold it to was selling it! I have the twin to it in 28" octagon, so I didn't get it. Tried to talk a friend into buying it, but he bought an engraved Colt 1873, and a model 93 carbine I was selling, so he was too broke.
Obviously I'm kinda partial to Stevens 44 and 44 1/2's too! This is my 3rd 44 and I have three 44 1/2's too. This one and my .44-40 are standard configurations, while the others are schuetzen models.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
gun show

Toys are good, and more is better!! :D Did you happen to notice how prices seemed on Euro single shots like rollers or Werndls? SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didn't see any Werndles, but lots of military Rollers in various calibers. No civilian Rollers, except one really messed with version. The milsurps were going anywhere from $500-$850, with a few way higher on crazy people's tables! One guy had two pretty average RB carbines. One in 7mm, and another in .43 Spanish. He had $1750 and $1850 on them! I wanted to ask what was so special, but thought I couldn't be nice and ask too.
Here's a good story on the civilian RB! The guy walks past, and I ask to look. It has a 26" half octagon barrel, and he says, "It's all original."
Well right off I spot the Stevens rollstamp on the barrel, and he tells me, "This guy said that a lot of diferent makers were used on these guns made during the war. Some made the barrels, some made the wood, and some made various receiver parts."
I asked how a 1867 receiver and a early 1900's barrel could get together, and what war they might be used in? He had no answer, but insisted it was factory!
I then noticed the .25-20 rollstamp, and told him no military ever used the .25-20 as a cartridge. He then says, "Well this one has been rebored to .44 special, and that makes it better, because now you can shoot either cartridge in it!"
At this point I gave up, and walked away. He just wasn't on the same page as the rest of us!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
prices

That's about what I saw at the small show in Cheyenne. Saw a Swede roller in 8X68, I believe. It was nice, but 800 was a bit over budget. Sounds like you met a dealer who was hoping for a real sucker. The 'second-hand bull food' can get pretty deep at some of those tables! I've also noticed that people seem to equate the word collector with the word wealthy. From some price tags you mention, it seems the term 'advanced collector' is associated with long arms & deep pockets, too!

Maybe people price their stuff up to keep tire kickers away. Nice pics!! SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some of those collectors do have deep pockets! I watched in amazement while a fella was purchasing a Winchester High Wall. It was a stunning specimen, and a number of special order features on it. Not sure what the price was, but the stack of $100 bills was almost 4" thick!
I can't remember when I saw that much cash cross a table for a single gun!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I mean no disrespect....... but d00d! you suck. lol

You get all sorts of nice single shot rifles. Damn nice find on the Stevens and the Winchester. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thank you! (I guess?) :lol:

·
Registered
719 Posts
??????

knight whats a d00d?

heh mm93! hehe,,,...i have and ALL original 93 in 38-55...the barrel is ORIGINALLY steel, and the wood is ORIGIANLLY wood.......etc.....ahahahah :roll:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: ??????

kaintuck said:
knight whats a d00d?

heh mm93! hehe,,,...i have and ALL original 93 in 38-55...the barrel is ORIGINALLY steel, and the wood is ORIGIANLLY wood.......etc.....ahahahah :roll:
"d00d"

Noun: as in dude. friendly online greeting. origination, somewhere in the 1990's during the "dot com days".

·
Registered
110 Posts
Vall & Co. Back from all the running around and hunting and checked in to see that you have struck gold again. Very, very nice. Hope you have your recoil pad in good order. :D Should be nice to go to the range and shoot all day and not have whiplash.

No luck hunting so I guess I won't be known as the Great White Hunter, but will settle for the Great White Camper. Just a great way to spend a lot of time outdoors. See the link below and go to the album titled "Hunt 2004" for pictures. Guess I will have to settle for "slow elk" this year. Muzzleloader hunting for elk was quite unique. Hunting partner had broadside shot at 75 yards but the snow did him in. Only the cap went off. He was somewhat upset. :shock: :)

http://www.picturetrail.com/blackpowdermax

No lowwall, but did just receive my 1st "real" Stevens single shot (today). It's also a 44, but in 25-20 SS. No finish, but bore is decent and wood is untouched, and looking for a shooter anyway. Couple of questions.....manufacture date....serial # is 283XX....any source for dating these? And good source for new cases? I have 7 fired originals and 15 unfired, but don't really want to fire the originals (marked WRA and UMC). Have an old Ideal mold marked 25-96 and I believe it was made for the 25-20 SS so OK there.

max

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Callahan used to sell letters for $15, but I don't know what became of him. Even when he did them, the Stevens info was vague at best, and not specific as to year. Sometimes it was totally void of any pertinent info, just generic info on 44's in general.
The .25-20SS brass can be purchased through Rocky Mtn Ctg. Co. for about $38 per 20. As you may know, Dave's brass is the best, and it will last you forever! Bertram also sells it, but I'll never buy Bertram in small calibers. Too many imperfections, and split cases!
I was told by a guy in Reno that the cases could also be built from .223 by turning the bases thinner, and annealing them, then running through the .25-20SS dies. I haven't given it a try yet, but if it works, they would sure be cheap cases!
I'll check out your pictures! I'm sure they're great!

Great pictures of your hunting areas and camp! Sure looks a lot like the area I hunt deer and elk in! Open pines and sage brush!
Hopefully I'll have pictures to post in Jan-Mar, if we get to shoot something! (like an elk?)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts