Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just landed back on L.I. after a 22 hr drive down from North Sydney, Nova Scotia. Luck was with me as a 15 point Bull Moose responded to the call from 1,000 yds away and came into the line of fire. One shot to the shoulder (338 RUM) and it was over. The big bull flipped over backwards and planted his rack into the ground.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the picture off my phone (yet).
On the third day of the hunt I dropped this nice bear with a single, well placed 400gr Speer FN bullet from my 45-70 SBL.

Newfoundland 9-2014 025.JPG

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Wow, congratulations on both.
If you don't mind what velocity were you running the 400gr Speer at?

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
i spent 2 years in newfoundland back in the 80's drilling oil wells off the coast. I never got time to go hunting but did love the people and the countryside. The people were some of the finest I have ever met and have very fond memories, especially on being sceeched in, cod toungues and scrunchens were the best. The screech is another topic completely.............I do remember a big bull moose ended up down town St. Johns at the only traffic light and screwed up driving all day, it just kept staring at the light changing and nobody would mess with it.

Great hunting stories and thanks for sharing. love those 400 gr speer with 53 gr 3031, real slobber knockers, on both ends.....

·
Registered
395 Posts
Nice, Newfoundland Is a dream hunt of mine.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, congratulations on both.
If you don't mind what velocity were you running the 400gr Speer at?
1,700 ft/sec. over my Oehler 35P
The shot was broadside just behind the shoulder. Total penetration and a bear that sprinted 30yds before piling up permanently. The Speer 400gr FP is a very accurate bullet in my rifle and is proving itself on black bears every year. Add to that, that the bullet is reasonably priced and easy to locate made it a "home run" for me.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice, Newfoundland Is a dream hunt of mine.
Great location except for the 8hr ferry ride and all the wait on line before you leave. All in all, Newfoundland was a beautiful province to visit and a great place to hunt. Game animals have become quite plentiful and success rates are high!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Congrats on your hunt. Looking forward to pics of your moose. Did you drink and "Screech" rum up there? I was up there towing ice bergs away from the drilling ships many years ago. Beautiful place. Would love to get up there again for some hunting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts