Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
ever since my died, i've been feeling "eh, i get to it tommorow" and i'd go on the porch and read and listen to music a little bit. but friday i started sanding my son's Apache gold stock(richards microstock). i started to use 220 grit but the machine marks on the wood was er......heavy. so i used 40 grit, 100 grit and finally 220 grit. it took me about 2 - 3 hours each day (5 days) or until my eyes were buggy!!! i still have to do some (the roundness of the finger grips) 220 grit, but then i'll move on to 340 grit, 400 grit and finally some bronze/copper steel wool.

the next step will be minwax antique oil and i think minwax wipe on poly(1 or 2 coats). i never did wipe on poly on my other gunstocks, but i will try it. there is always citri strip if it comes out bad.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Well that's gonna be a unique one there. We'll be waiting to see the finished product. I've not used a wipe-on poly either although I wouldn't think it could be much different than wiping on True Oil or Tung Oil. Just use light coats and stop when you like what you see.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Looks good. Satin poly is my finish of choice. Low sheen and weatherproof.

Good luck 👍

Reactions: 500linebaugh

·
Registered
21,078 Posts
Lookin’ good!

Reactions: 500linebaugh

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good. Satin poly is my finish of choice. Low sheen and weatherproof.

Good luck 👍

i used to be a low sheen guy. the deer don't care, so i might as well figure........:ROFLMAO:.

what i noticed is the smell and UV's. i was hunting deer with a brand new orange vest. i was up in my tree stand when the doe came out upwind. she noticed me right off and she bleated and ran. i didn't wind her or move, but i did have a new orange vest that wasn't washed. i took it home and i put sportsmen UV killer wash in the washer and that cured the problem. i use earth scent too. just a drop in every direction (north, south, east and west) on the ground blind will kill my scent. i have seen bucks and does on the same path i walked and they were downwind of me. my win m94 has a high sheen and we've killed alot of deer with it.

i should just go back to the old ways of huntin. the week before i put my hunting clothes on the porch(hangers) about a week before and that is it. wood smoke is a good one too. i used to do cigarettes and that didn't bust me, as a matter of fact, i shot deer while i was smoking. the dumb dumbarse things i did...... :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is after my 1st sanding with 340 grit. i wiped on a little bit of water just to see what it should look like when i'm done.
Wood Art Paint Linens Pattern

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have three sanding done with 400 grit and now i'm filling with neutral filler.

i waited about 15 minutes per side and then i wiped the filler off. tommorow it should be dried and then i have to sand it to 400 grit again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts