Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys know how difficult it would be to mount a scout scope on a 22 lever action. Will the Wild West scout mount fit the 39 Marlin? I shoot a 450M but would like to set up a 22 to plink and practice with. Any thoughts would be great.
Pb

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the help nobody! Just playing. I guess you dont know or care about the topic. Just in case someone does care I did find an answer. Henry makes a cantilever scope mount for their 22 lever action. I talked to someone at Henry today and discovered that the mount can be turned around to face the opposite direction. In essence it becomes a scout mount. I am now planning to buy a Henry. What is your opinion of Henry rifles. I looked at one the other day. The only thing that bothered me was the plastic barrel band.
PB

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Henrys I have seen and read about all seem like fine guns with the glaring exception you mentioned, THAT DARN PLASTIC BARREL BAND!!!.
Henry's are not cheap either. I think they may be worth the price but I will not buy one because of the lousy cheap plastic. There are no blued steel replacements available either, I have looked to no avail when I wanted to buy a Henry. A lost sale for about another buck or 2 in manufacturing....<><.... :roll:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not that there's anything really wrong w/ the henry, but you might be able to use the mount on a marlin. It says gunsmithing is required, so you will probably need to drill and tap anyway. It might only work on an octagon barrel, though, which is pretty pricey in the marlin. Just something to confuse the issue. . . :wink:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, if you want to get technical, the Henry receiver on their .22s is not machined steel, either. It's some kind of alloy. With that said, I own and shoot a Henry lever action .22 LR, and I LOVE it. I also own and shoot the Marlin 39. The Henry is smoother than the Marlin 39, almost as accurate at 100 yards, AND, it cost less than the 39.

It's just a matter of personal preference. :)

Just so there's no confusion, my favorite lever gun is my 1895 GS 45/70.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I have a nice little Henry lever .22 cal. that is very accurate and I just love it. Watch out on the receiver finish as I squirted some bore solvent in to clean it out a little and it did mar the finish on the outside. I gotta learn how to tear it down. :lol:

Dave :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well Pappa Bear, ya got me thinking (which is "post-worthy" enough) about that .22 scout rifle so I started tinkering. I just bought a XS Lever Scout mount and scope for my 336. I hadn't mounted it yet, so I said, "well, lets just see. . ." The short story is, I got it mounted, and I'm satisfied it's solid enough, but it could be done better, and without too much trouble, I think. Like I said it's good enough for me, plus it's really for my 336, so I'm not going to bother with it anymore. It's only screwed down on the dovetail mount; the back isn't bolted. With a little more adjustment and a longer bolt, it could be attached. It's hard to explain how works, but it does. It's slightly wedged between the receiver and the dovetail mount. I also had to elongate the forward mounting hole a touch, but this adjustment can be required even on the 336. Yes, it's "jury rigged," but I just wanted to see if it was feasible, and I think it is. Now, whether or not anyone cares is another story. . . :) My wife has my camera right now, but I'll try to post pictures later tonight.
Matt

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
knerr,
not too bad! In fact, that is the set up on my 450M. You even have the NcStar 2x-7x I have. It's a pretty good scope for the money. My hope is to put it on the 22lr and put a Leupold on the 450. The only thing holding me back is $.
Pb

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, I've been pretty pleased with the scope so far too, but I haven't had it in the field yet. I think you might have been the one who (indirectly) recommended it to me in another thread somewhere. I'd rather have the Leupold, too, but I figured this was worth a shot for what it costs. I've been thinking this might stay on the .22 for a while; at least until after squirrel season... Seems like it would be good practice since I'm not used to the setup yet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Knerr
That little scope has taken well over 100 rounds of full 450 Marlin loads and it has never needed adjusted. I dont know if it will last forever, but so far so good. It is what I am taking deer hunting this Nov.

Seeing your pictures makes me more interested in the baby lever scout concept. At this point I am leaning pretty hard toward the henry. Again, cost is the major factor. I can do the whole project with a new henry for the price of a used marlin. And, I get a straight stock in a gun that ends up almost the same size (although a bit lighter) as the 450.

thanks again
Pb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts