Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FIFI is a Boeing B-29 Superfortress. It is one of two B-29s that are currently flying in the world (with Doc being the other). It is owned by the Commemorative (formerly Confederate) Air Force and is based at the Vintage Flying Museum at Meacham International Airport in Fort Worth, Texas.

B-29 Superfortress FiFi

I shot these with NIKON Z 50 mirrorless camera and NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR lens while FIFI was at our local airport in North Texas.

Taxing out

Taking off

Landing

Taxing in

·
Registered
280 Posts
Love to see these old war planes. They have a sound all to their own. Nothing like them.

great pictures!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Loud aren't they. Back when they made the movie Enola Gay when they were done filming that B-29 war parked outside the Tucson weather station where I worked. I was on the midnight shift and when I went out the back door to do the hourly observation there it was. About 3 in the morning they started it up and at just an idle it rattled everything loose in the office. The about 6:30 they did the run ups to I guess full throttle. Guess all was OK as about 7:30 they took off for New York City. Apparently the plane has been condemned, or whatever they call it when it considered no longer flyable but were give a special permit to fly to to England where is will be placed in some kind of museum. I love the old warbirds as I grew up with them as a kid during WW2. Back around 1980 I was living in a small town in Nevada and just before the fourth of July the would spray for mosquitoes. It was OK for the bugs to feast on us locals but the Fourth always brought lots of people in from out of state and they didn't want them to get bitten. Anyway, for a few years the guy that got the contract to pray used a converted TBM Avenger.Loud? I lived seven miles from the airport where I works and you could hear it when he fired that bird up. Enjoyed watching that one fly as well.
Paul B.

·
Registered
26,108 Posts
Loud aren't they. Back when they made the movie Enola Gay when they were done filming that B-29 war parked outside the Tucson weather station where I worked. I was on the midnight shift and when I went out the back door to do the hourly observation there it was. About 3 in the morning they started it up and at just an idle it rattled everything loose in the office. The about 6:30 they did the run ups to I guess full throttle. Guess all was OK as about 7:30 they took off for New York City. Apparently the plane has been condemned, or whatever they call it when it considered no longer flyable but were give a special permit to fly to to England where is will be placed in some kind of museum. I love the old warbirds as I grew up with them as a kid during WW2. Back around 1980 I was living in a small town in Nevada and just before the fourth of July the would spray for mosquitoes. It was OK for the bugs to feast on us locals but the Fourth always brought lots of people in from out of state and they didn't want them to get bitten. Anyway, for a few years the guy that got the contract to pray used a converted TBM Avenger.Loud? I lived seven miles from the airport where I works and you could hear it when he fired that bird up. Enjoyed watching that one fly as well.
Paul B.
I can watch a P51 fly all day.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Go on YouTube and watch how the engines were made. Very worth the time. One of the largest factories in the world at the time. It was outside Chicago run by Dodge. BTW more B29’s burned on the ground than were shot down.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
My wife's uncle, rest his soul, spent many hours in one as a navigator when they were carpet bombing Germany. He told me once that when an anti aircraft round went off close to them they would lose altitude quickly from it. If they weren't hit, their biggest fear was, can we recover and resume flight. Some didn't and that accounted for a few crashes.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Took my sons to see her (and others) at the air show in Harlingen, TX many years ago. One year we got to meet Maj. Greg (Pappy) Boyington and the next year the Japanese Zero pilot that shot him down!
We also got to see an operational B-24 Liberator bomber! My uncle was a waist gunner on a B-24 and flew a total of 50 missions. Amazing plane and amazing men that flew them.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Many years ago that plane flew over my home at low altitude as it was going to land at the local airport.

·
Premium Member
12,197 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for sharing the great photos. I don't think I've ever seen a B-29!

Lots of other WWII planes, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one "in person." Wow...

Guy

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I saw FIFI when she came to an ANG air show in Ft Wayne. My brothers and I went just to see the B-29. Dad flew in them as a flight engineer just after they test flew them. They had to run simulated missions all over the US checking for bugs and documenting everything. We were amazed how small they seemed inside. Not much room to move around.
One he was in crashed and broke his wrist pretty bad. He would never answer the question of what happened. I got the feeling that he lost some friends in that crash.
Thank you for posting the pictures.

Reactions: OLSKOOL

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the kind comments. I'm glad the pix stirred up some memories for y'all. I'd never seen or heard a B-29 before this. Spectators were fortunate to have an opportunity to get up close. Happy to know folks enjoyed the images. I sure enjoyed shooting them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Loved the pictures. I've never seen a B-29 in person but used to live about a mile from The Planes Of Fame Warbird Museum when it was at the Flying Cloud airport in Minnesota. The B-17, Flying Overcast used to make occasional appearances there. Nothing beats the sound of a big radial firing up. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When Doc was ready, the FiFi flyers werent too happy as one might think, maybe they didnt like the competition and that they were no longer unique or special, i dont know, but i felt bad for Doc. I hope they will fly together and also hope people will continue to donate any small amounts. It was a gigantic and costly effort to make Doc possible and there are also huge ongoing costs. Its very expensive just to get a B-29 off the ground for a 10 minute flight. And thats my problem with the two planes, only govts can afford them! Imagine 1000 of them up, flying and bombing. It makes me dizzy to think of the trouble and expense.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
It's too bad they didn't name it Dauntless Dotty! That one was flown by Robert Morgan of Memphis Belle fame. The original Dotty was lost when flying back to the states near the end of WW2, losing power, Morgan made a ditching off some island when the crew were trying to make it back home. It's too bad they didn't make it with the plane, would have made one heck of a display with the Memphis Belle! HTH

·
Registered
6 Posts
And speaking of FiFi, this was in 2013 at the Williams County (Marion, Il) airport, along with a few other of the beautiful CAF aircraft. We didn't get to see FiFi fly that day, but back in the 80's I got that experience at the first St. Louis Spirit of St. Louis airport airshow...WOW! I have a lot of slide film from that show.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts