Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
NICE! How much longer do you have to wait? Kentucky white tails are off limits to guns until November.........Does the Axis shed and re-grow those antlers every year?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Axis in Texas are non-native and therefore can be hunter year round. They started out ages ago as specialty hunts on some game lands, but enough escaped the fencing, etc., that they now can be fairly prevelant in some areas.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Being a non-native ferrel species they are classified with wild pigs and can be hunted year round as Boggs says, also at night, with lights so feel free to pop him next time you see him. But keep in mind it's a lot like shooting a cow and bragging to your friends you "hunted" it.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Very Cool. I wish they would migrate up to KY. The far eastern side of our state now has elk and black bear seasons, and the piggies are starting to show up even in parts of central KY, but so far, no Axis.........Are they nocturnal? Seems like our whitetail are starting to get that way.........or maybe it's just the big ones........:hmmmm:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only night hunt pigs and predators. I'm waiting to see this guy in daylight through the peep site on my 45-70! This guy is the low end of trophy class. They get a lot bigger. But I still want him.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I only night hunt pigs and predators. I'm waiting to see this guy in daylight through the peep site on my 45-70! This guy is the low end of trophy class. They get a lot bigger. But I still want him.
That's the low end of the Trophy class, wow! Time to Google Axis and learn some more about them, good luck!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have limited knowledge of Axis, but I've always seen them around the times I would have expected to see Whitetails. They're pretty much the same size and appearance. They don't lose their spots though, as they age.

According to Wikipedia, they do drop their antlers yearly (Chital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I just hope they're tasty. I have a friend i LOVE to hunt with. He loves to hunt, but doesn't eat the meat. So I'm always the guy next to him whispering, ' No that one. Shoot the fat one.'

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Axis is great eating! It tastes like a cross between venison and beef. We have a large herd on our place. This guy is the biggest so far. Main beams appear to be between 36" and 38". They rut and go into "season" on their own routine because they are non-native. This big guy is still in velvet. He should get a bit bigger on the rack. I hope to see him soon!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'll tell you what, Texas and places further West are lucky to have such a wide range of larger animals to hunt. In Florida all we have to hunt that are considered large land animals are the Whitetail and Boar.

Here is a good link that talks about the Axis too.

Axis Deer (Cervus axis)

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I'd drop him like a hot rock. I caught this guy sleeping on my place during the '11 drought. I have taken more AXIS with my 45X24 Cowboy with Lee255RF and 10 grs Unique than any other rifle. 32+"...........the buck with him was just as good. let him go...........for next time.

Papalote

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice buck Pap! I bet he was good eating.
Another angle. He has at least one more small point than normal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am looking to go on a paid axis hunt in tx . What ranch or outfitter would you recommend . I have looked at a bunch online but don't know who to go with. Any help will greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Contact Dan Moody of Four Seasons Hunting Service, don't remember his number right now, but you can "Google him, ha" tell him Jim Knight said to give him a call....great guy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am looking to go on a paid axis hunt in tx . What ranch or outfitter would you recommend . I have looked at a bunch online but don't know who to go with. Any help will greatly appreciated.
The YO ranch is a good place for hunts like that.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I have limited knowledge of Axis, but I've always seen them around the times I would have expected to see Whitetails. They're pretty much the same size and appearance. They don't lose their spots though, as they age.

According to Wikipedia, they do drop their antlers yearly (Chital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I just hope they're tasty. I have a friend i LOVE to hunt with. He loves to hunt, but doesn't eat the meat. So I'm always the guy next to him whispering, ' No that one. Shoot the fat one.'
They're bigger than the whitetails and excellent eating. I'll take axis steaks over whitetail any day. There are lots of axis in the Texas Hill Country as well as Sika. Saw a dead Axis on the side of the road near Comfort Texas this morning. It's a pretty common sight. See a lot more whitetail road kill than axis however. During the rut, the roads are littered with dead whitetail. You drive at night on those back roads at your own risk. LOL God I love Texas!!

The Axis compete with whitetails for food/habitat. A lot of the whitetail hunting operations don't want Axis on their property and will kill them like varmints.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I killed a dandy axis buck in 2001 at the Brady Ranch, Florida. Antlers measure 31 inches which makes it a genuine trophy to me. The Brady Ranch is no more but Danny Santangelo has his own high fence operation now. I heard he has some dandy bucks on the place.

My advice: hunt your trophy with a 30-30 lever gun to make the experience more fun. In contrast, a long shot with .308 or .270 would be too easy and the hunt would be over too soon. Just something to consider.

TR

1 - 17 of 17 Posts