Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where was your hunt? Nice buck !
South Llano River State Park five miles south of Junction, Texas. It was an Whitetail Antlerless/Spike hunt but we could shoot any Axis, Sika, or Fallow deer we came across. I shot this and three slickheads on Wednesday. My BIL shot two axis does and two whitetail slickheads.

The hunt was a TPWD draw hunt. I had been putting in for this hunt for ten years and finally got drawn.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Rocks, cactus, oaks...........looks a lot like central Texas. Axis have been coming on strong of late near my place in west central Texas.

Congrats to Gman on some great table fare. No tags, no limit, no restrictions on axis here.

Papalote

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on the axis, nice tall antlers! Are you going to shoulder mount him?

I don't know yet. We caped him out but getting hold of a taxi the Friday before Christmas has been challenging.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Wow...what a beautiful animal...congrats...I'd be proud to have that mounted on my wall for sure....thanx for sharing.

redhawk

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats on the axis, nice tall antlers! Are you going to shoulder mount him?

I don't know yet. We caped him out but getting hold of a taxi the Friday before Christmas has been challenging.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Salt it down...and keep it cool....Hopefully, you can find someone on short notice to do it.

Also...take lots of pictures so the taxi can refer to them.

redhawk

Reactions: M700

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Excellent! Congrats on the axis buck, I've never even seen one!

Beautiful hide and unique antlers.

Nice work. Congrats!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm just tickled that I took it with one shot from a 47 year old Marlin 336 30-30. Don't need a whiz-bang magnum (even though I have a 300 Wby).

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We killed a few other deer also. These (including my buck) before 8AM on Wednesday. BIL got four and I got four, mixed WT slickheads and Axis.

[/URL]

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Nice Buck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts