Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted that I had bought my oldest son a Henry Big Boy 45-70 for his high school graduation gift. That said we are in Ohio, and Ohio is looking at going with a 3round max limit in a rifle for pistol cartridges in a rifle (PCR). So I called Henry to see if I could just put a dowel rod in the magazine tube like we have done with all our shotguns for years.....Long story short, They are modifying a stock magazine tube rod so that the tube magazine will only hold two rounds of 45-70. No extra charge, just the cost of a replacement magazine rod that lists on their site for about $22.00. With shipping, the total was less than $30.00, and now all my son will have to do, is change out the magazine rod for Ohio Deer season (assuming the proposed rules are accepted) to be legal.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Kudos to Henry, but not so much for the lawmakers in Ohio. What exactly is the purpose of the proposed three-round limit?

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Kudos to Henry, but not so much for the lawmakers in Ohio. What exactly is the purpose of the proposed three-round limit?
Just something to cause ya'll some extra money and aggravation, IMHO.

Oh yeah Henry is a fine company, with some very good CS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ohio wants it the same as a pluged shotgun that can only hold 3 max when deer and waterfowl hunting.
State of Ohio isn't to bright on a lot of hunting issues and I live here too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohio has had a 3 round limit for shotguns on deer and waterfowl for as far back as I can remember (20+ years hunting here). However, if you use a pistol to hunt deer, there is no round limit. With a pistol you can put as many round in a revolver or self-loader that you can fit, provided the round meets the minimal standards for hunting deer. I do not believe there is a round limit for any other game (and you can use any caliber rifle to hunt any other game except Deer, Turkey, or Waterfowl...go figure). Ohio is just stubborn, and I am not sure they have any real reason to not change the round limit, other that it may make the proposed changes hard to pass (too many people just set in their ways [you should see the online debate about the use of pistol cartridges in a rifle here in Ohio....sometimes we are our own worst enemies when it comes to change]). Many older hunters in Ohio can not see the value with hunting with anything other than a shotgun...because it has worked for them!

That said we are also trying to get hunting with suppressors as well in this state. There is more push-back on this issue, but it just might pass. I have hunted in many other states with suppressors, and it is the ONLY way to shoot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The way I hear it after asking an Ohio Game warden is no plug on shotgun or straight wall cartridge rifles.
Another words you can only have 3 shells in the gun period if this thing passes on 04-09-2014 for this up coming 2014-2015 Ohio Deer season.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Since when could you hunt ohio for Deer with any kind of rifle ? Iv,e been hunting in ohio my whole life and Iv,e heard rumors of going to hunting with pistol caliber rifles only but It,s not Law yet Where does the 45-70 fit into pistol caliber ?
You can hunt dogs and hogs with any rifle just not Deer
Dos,nt have any wording in there for straight wall cases just pistol caliber rifle

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it is a straight wall cartridge say such as the 357 mag to 47/70 if the bill and again if the bill passes which most likely looks like it will on this coming April-9th-2014 at the State level then it will be legal to hunt with a pistol cartridge caliber rifle. Check or look at the odnr sight for ohio upcoming bill's or legislation-Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Since when could you hunt ohio for Deer with any kind of rifle ? Iv,e been hunting in ohio my whole life and Iv,e heard rumors of going to hunting with pistol caliber rifles only but It,s not Law yet Where does the 45-70 fit into pistol caliber ?
You can hunt dogs and hogs with any rifle just not Deer
Dos,nt have any wording in there for straight wall cases just pistol caliber rifle
Actually, the specific wording limits it to a handful of straight walled (or Tapered cartridges) and black powder cartridges (the 45/70 was a 1. a tapered cartridge, 2. a cartridge that was originally offered in blackpowder (i.e. 45 caliber, over 70g Black powder with a 405g Pb bullet hence, the 45-70).
However, my son has a 50 Beowulf (straight walled cartridge but that would not make the proposed PCR list). Additionally, there is a common manufacture 45/70 revolver named the BMF, another qualifier that the 45/70 is a pistol cartridge.

"We realize the proposal may fall short in some areas. We have heard feedback that some desirable cartridges, or a pet cartridge, were not included on the list. I urge everyone to understand that the proposal represents at least four years of effort. As with any effort, and especially a gun related effort, there are compromises along the way. The Division of Wildlife is in support of allowing a conservative set of cartridges for PCR. We need to understand that as a state agency they have certain restraints, guidelines and responsibilities." (From Buckeye Firearms website)

"Proposed hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts