Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm tired of adjusting my ramprime all the time and want an auto prime. Which should I get and why? The auto prime or the auto prime xr

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Re: auto prime vs. autoprime 2

What is an auto prime II?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yeah sorry I meant auto prime or the xr

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

I have both the auto prime and new xr hand held. the new one has some quirks that I'm not sure I like as well as some obvious improvements.
First it doesn't seem to feed so well and that may be because of its newness or it could be because the device that separates the primer being seated from the tray of primers. I'm guessing a little of both, it is a more complex system. Sometimes 2 primers will end up in the seating area and it is more difficult to straighten out than with the original. The trays are excellent and easy to load from a standard primer box. The lever stroke is a little shorter than the old autoprime, nice. The seating action has a nice feel, gentle but you feel the primer seat. It comes from Lee with a steel connecting arm. I'll give it some time to loosen up and some time to become more familiar with it before I decide good or bad. So far I have primed a couple hundred .38's and some .356's.

james

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
My old Auto Prime has lasted over 25 years. It's quick, easy, and unlike PJ I have not had to replace a part. I don't like the looks of the xr with it's funky square primer tray.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use the Lee Autoprime II. I have a single stage press. It works great. Fast, inexpensive and easy to set up.

Targetslayer

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
I like my autoprime better than the XR except I just broke the handle and Lee no longer lists parts for it. Fom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts