Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just a coincidence that the people who sell drugs to addicts, and the people who sell me guns are both called "dealers"? :hmmmm2:

Anyway, I went and visited my dealer a bit over about 2 weeks ago, and left thinking about a rifle he had in the rack.

A 'B' serial number model 1936. Made in 1941, so its 77 years old. Pistol grip, square bolt, 30-30, 2/3rd mag tube and a 24" barrel. Period correct redfield target peep, and faded case colouring. Action is smooth and precise, and the trigger is very crisp. Buttstock is clean, but the forearm has a few nicks in the underside.

Anyway, it bothered me, so much that 2 weeks later (last Saturday) I made a call and told him I want it. So now the PTA goes in, and I get another rifle.

There is nohing wrong with my Zane Grey, but I'm trying to convince myself that the extra 2 inches of barrel on the 1936 will let me shoot open sights for a while longer than the shorter barrel on my Zane.
Anyway, I don't need an excuse, and it's too late anyway, she's mine! :ridinghorse:

Photos when I pick her up........

cheers, curan.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Hey Curan - congrats on your latest "new-to-you" rifle. I don't know what "PTA" means in Australia, but, unlike in the USA, I'll bet it's not "Parent-Teacher Association." :biggrin:
Permit to Acquire. And yes,it's a giant PITA!!!!

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
If you own any 30-30 you should own 2. I like a cast shooter/jacketed plinker and a hunter with full loads.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats! Sounds great, looking forward to the pics!
Gotta get the PTA through when I get home Boris!

Don't worry, you blokes will see it as soon as I pick it up and get it home .........

Reactions: whiskers and Boris

·
Registered
247 Posts
HI Curan - have you got it yet - its been weeks - where are the photographs - did you send your forms to the weapons licencing PTA or the Harper Valley PTA??

Reactions: Boris

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Okay, I know you've all been waiting patiently ........ as have I!

But I finally got back to the dealers, and although I still have more time to wait for the PTA (my stuff up, not the govt), I took the rifle outside and got a couple of quick photos.

Tree Canoe birch Trunk Woody plant Plant

You can see that the case colouring id gone in the next photo, but you can also see a schmiko "as new, fresh outa the box" Redfield receiver peep ..... very nice!

Auto part

Whoever did the trigger got it right, as it lets go beautifully. The bore is sweet.

It does have a few dings to the woodwork here and there, but generally, it's a nice clean rifle.

And of course, the best thing about it, is once the paperwork goes through, it's mine! :smile:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.