Marlin Firearms Forum banner
161 - 180 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just purchased a new 1895 classic. The small "V" that you all are seeing is gone. I see no signs of cracking nor thin material in that area. Granted, I have only shot 4 boxes of shells, one of which were Buffalo Bore 405 gr JFN. By the way, shot my first bear with her last week:).

·
Registered
955 Posts
When I figure out how to post photos, I'll post a few of my NIB 1895. It appears to have a crack in the receiver. I took several photos. Just I'm better with machine tools than a computer.

Victor

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I figure out how to post photos, I'll post a few of my NIB 1895. It appears to have a crack in the receiver. I took several photos. Just I'm better with machine tools than a computer.

Victor
wow, I was hoping this was a thing of the past... I've got a brand new ,just delivered 1895, 2015 limited edition that I need to check when I get home...

·
Registered
4,010 Posts

Victor
At the top of the message bar there is a square with a dot in each corner. Click it and find the photos in your computer and add them to your post. It's that simple. Please post your photos I'm really interested to see what your looking at because here lately that hasn't even been an issue unless someone bought as "old" stock new item from an LGS that does not move much inventory.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
wow, I was hoping this was a thing of the past... I've got a brand new ,just delivered 1895, 2015 limited edition that I need to check when I get home...
To my knowledge this was an issue of the past. If you have a current production 1895 you shouldn't have a problem. I have two new ones, a GBL and a SBL and both are fine rifles. Welcome to the forum and start a thread with a picture of your new Marlin. Everyone here likes to drool on other purchases. :congrats:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would like to be on the team. I've had several 45-70's over the years, the one I kept over all that time is a 90's 1895S. I had it because I've lived in Alaska almost 1/2 my life (I'm 65) and it was one of my bear guns. It was the one that I took on my ATV. At the time I was working in Barrow, Ak, northern most point in America. Plenty of polar bears up there. Any way I had Wild West do some work to it to make it the way I ultimately wanted it. I prefer the 1895 over the GG's as I shot a fairly stout load for bears. I had the barrel cut down, action job, the stock cut down and a Pachmayer Decelerator pad added so it has the same OAL, XS sights and a Chrome Mat finish (metal life I believe) Jim West sent it off for me. It looks like a stainless gun. I really like it, will go to my son when my time is done.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I would like to be on the team. I've had several 45-70's over the years, the one I kept over all that time is a 90's 1895S. I had it because I've lived in Alaska almost 1/2 my life (I'm 65) and it was one of my bear guns. It was the one that I took on my ATV. At the time I was working in Barrow, Ak, northern most point in America. Plenty of polar bears up there. Any way I had Wild West do some work to it to make it the way I ultimately wanted it. I prefer the 1895 over the GG's as I shot a fairly stout load for bears. I had the barrel cut down, action job, the stock cut down and a Pachmayer Decelerator pad added so it has the same OAL, XS sights and a Chrome Mat finish (metal life I believe) Jim West sent it off for me. It looks like a stainless gun. I really like it, will go to my son when my time is done.
Go to the sticky that says Join 45-70 team and put in your request. And voila they will issue you a number. I would really like to see a picture of your 1895. So if you can take a picture and post it in a new thread on this forum.

Reactions: Kevin.M

·
Registered
8 Posts
I inspected my SBL after reading this thread. No visible threads at all, and thankfully no cracks. The forearm was on way too tight and touched the barrell on both sides for the entire length of forearm. I have some work to do. I replaced follower with a brass one from beartoothmerantile

I know several of you said the WWG bear proof extractor aren't worth it, but I bought one when I purchased their Happy Trigger. At least now I will have a spare. :):)

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I inspected my SBL after reading this thread. No visible threads at all, and thankfully no cracks. The forearm was on way too tight and touched the barrell on both sides for the entire length of forearm. I have some work to do. I replaced follower with a brass one from beartoothmerantile

I know several of you said the WWG bear proof extractor aren't worth it, but I bought one when I purchased their Happy Trigger. At least now I will have a spare. :):)
That's good news about your SBL. I have one and it is a real tack driver. Welcome to the forum and enjoy that beauty. :top:

Reactions: dkappelm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Metal Steel

Saw this thread and thought I'd photograph the area in question on my new 1895 GSBL while I had the forend off.

There is a slight amount of metal present at the thinnest point, but it's clear the threads cuts are starting to show. Compared to the other images, I suspect that Marlin might have moved the hole very slightly away from the barrel. The metal is stainless, with an FNC blackening treatment. What appears to be a line in the hole on the thick area is actually where the tooling marks, which are slightly different, meet. It's not a crack.

I don't know about the date. Should be mid-2016 production. Tried to find date codes for 2016 but came up empty handed. S/N is MR640xxF. Barrel code is AK.

Sorry about the dust. I'm working on fitting stocks on some Marlins and dust is everywhere. Every time I clean the dust away it gets worse.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I just read this thread tonight.
Do you have to completely disassemble your RemLin to inspect for these cracks?
I have a 1895GS and after just removing the fore end and tube screws it would not budge.
Do I have to completely disassemble the whole rifle to check?
If so, then I guess I will just have to live dangerously.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
You can always take it to a qualified Gun Smith to have it checked out. If you have a local guy with a good reputation, it might not cost too much.

Mike T.

·
Super Moderator
25,662 Posts
I have a 1895GS and after just removing the fore end and tube screws it would not budge.
I had my son's 1895 Remlin taken apart by a competent gunsmith in 2013 so we could look for cracks in the receiver. The fore end cap was very tight and we couldn't remove it--we decided to go to a professional with the proper tools. There were no cracks present and it sure gave us peace of mind.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
That usually comes off pretty hard the first time. You have to expend quite a bit of energy to get it loose. If you have a later model like late 2015 or 2016 I have not known any of those to have that issue and you should be pretty safe. If your determined to remove it just search for removal of the fore-end and tube in the forum or under the gunsmithing section and you should find the step by step method for taking it apart.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm a newby to this forum without too many posts yet. I've read the 18 pages of this thread and I'm glad I have a JM 1895. However, with the disassembly pics in this thread I will disassemble my rifle to take a look. Thanks for this thread. Very informative!

161 - 180 of 192 Posts