Marlin Firearms Forum banner
181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Here's mine ...

Auto part Hardware accessory Rim Wheel

You can see the impression of the barrel threads ... they are reflecting the light. They are not otherwise noticeable ... can't feel them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My first post after doing quite a bit of reading. Judging from the serial number my of 1895 GBL, MR88XXXF, I'm hoping it's a late model build and this won't be an issue...? I tried to get it apart to check it out but the fore-end was on super tight and I didn't wanna hammer on it to get it apart. I bought it second hand from a LGS and it appears to be in as-new/barely-used condition and I was hoping to test fire it this week with some Hornady 325-grain Leverevolution but I'm a lil gun shy now without being to examine it before hand.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
My first post after doing quite a bit of reading. Judging from the serial number my of 1895 GBL, MR88XXXF, I'm hoping it's a late model build and this won't be an issue...? I tried to get it apart to check it out but the fore-end was on super tight and I didn't wanna hammer on it to get it apart. I bought it second hand from a LGS and it appears to be in as-new/barely-used condition and I was hoping to test fire it this week with some Hornady 325-grain Leverevolution but I'm a lil gun shy now without being to examine it before hand.
You can tell when it was made by looking on the left side of the barrel in front of the receiver. There should be a 2 letter code stamped into the barrel. That will tell you when it was made. If you have a late model you shouldn't have any worries. Just clean her up good and take her out and have some fun. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can tell when it was made by looking on the left side of the barrel in front of the receiver. There should be a 2 letter code stamped into the barrel. That will tell you when it was made. If you have a late model you shouldn't have any worries. Just clean her up good and take her out and have some fun. Welcome to the forum.
Ugh...I knew I had read that somewhere, thanks for the info, I'll check it out tomorrow when I have a minute and will report back. I'm super anxious to run a few rounds through it this week and hope I'll be able to figure it out without trying to get it apart...

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Does this apply to all variants and all years?
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow: If your referring to the year of the build it is only that way if the serial number starts with MR. If it is a JM model and the serial number is on the tang the first two numbers subtracted from 100 give you the year of the build. If you referring to the defect in the barrel that occurred right after Rem took over Marlin in the early years. And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Necro-posting I know. But I always regretted having sold my old 1895 GBL. I traded for one very recently and somewhere dimly in the back of my mind I recalled this thread about receiver cracks. So I just pulled mine apart and checked it out. It looks like there’s some crappy machine work and possibly some filing or dremeling on the part of the hacks at Remington. But no cracks. So I think I’m fine.
Looking forward to the second generation of Rug-lins (post qc fixes), or whatever we will call them.
Edited for better pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
396 Posts
I know this is an older thread but dang that's crappy workmanship. Reckon I should be happy that so far the faulty workmanship on my new Remlin is the furniture. Think the craftsman who made my stock got his woodworking experience in a posicle stick factory.

181 - 192 of 192 Posts