Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been about 2 years since the 1894FG .41 Magnum was issued from Marlin.
To those who have purchased one, what is your verdict?
Have you found the perfect load or factory round to feed the .41 mag.
I was one of the first in my area to get one and so far it has proven to be a challenge in the accuracy department, but I have a load that will do the job at the bench, and in the Deer woods.

I am very interested in the reviews after 2 years of testing.

RV

·
Registered
422 Posts
My FG is still new in the box. However, I shoot my 1980's model 1894S with a 210 Hornady XTP over 22.0 grains H110. Its the best shooting load out of my 1894. Averages about 2" at 100. Mostly I just shoot it for fun and plinking, have not shot a deer with it but I'm sure it would do the job if needed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am pleased with mine after getting it back from the factory. It has put venison in the freezer. The load I used was a Nosler 210 JHP in front of 22.0 grains of H110 and a WLP primer in a Remington case. It is accurate in both of my 1894s and my revolvers. It dropped the deer last season like a hammer to the head -- shot was a single shot in the neck right behind the head.

RV, what load is your favorite for hunting?

Regards,
Rich

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
retiredsquid said:
RV, what load is your favorite for hunting?

Regards,
Rich
Well, I am still developing it . I took 2 does with my Redhawk .41 mag last year, and 1 the year before. The load was 210 gr Nosler JHP over 20.4 gr wc820 with a WLP primer.(very accurate in the Redhawk and FG)
I plan on using that in the FG this year as it shoots under an inch @ 50 yards. My FG functions very well, rarley any hang-ups. I hope it wears into a reliable shooter.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
RV, good to see you're still lurking around here. My best jacketed bullet load in the FG uses a 210 gr. Hornady XTP over a healthy dose of Lil'gun and Remington 2 1/2 primers. Took two whitetails with that load. I'm not completely satisfied yet in finding a load for cast slugs. Have been away from tinkering with it for awhile. Time to get back to it. :!:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
41Retro said:
RV, good to see you're still lurking around here. My best jacketed bullet load in the FG uses a 210 gr. Hornady XTP over a healthy dose of Lil'gun and Remington 2 1/2 primers. Took two whitetails with that load. I'm not completely satisfied yet in finding a load for cast slugs. Have been away from tinkering with it for awhile. Time to get back to it. :!:
Lurking is about all I've had time for. Ahh but hunting season is upon us and time and room will be made for that.
Cast in the .41 FG has been bad, but in the Redhawk good. (Microgrove probably needs around.412 to be reliable with PB cast. Haven't slugged the barrel so thats a guess
How have your building projects been going?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I slugged the FG at .412 and have been sizing 220 slugs from an LBT mould right there. Accuracy isn't quite as good as with jacketed bullets but not far behind. (I don't think the microgroove rifling is the detriment that some claim.) They just don't like to feed as smoothly as I want. All my shooting activities and finishing the shop took a back seat to building a kennel after I bought a beagle/basset pup. He now has permanent digs and I don't have the cash to finish the shop right now, so it's about time to get back to the .41. Venison making season is not far off.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm glad you've got a plan.
My plan with the FG is to hunt in earnest with it until a Whitetail is in the freezer. Then My .357max will have a turn.

Good luck this season.

·
Registered
455 Posts
*** TRIAL AND LOTS OF ERROR ***

--- How's it going RV ,

I bought an M'94FG back in Oct, 2004 , ( we might have talked about it on another thread (?) ) .

-- I had several boxes of Factory stuff , -- Fed. 250 Cast Core , Rem. 210 SP , Rem. 170 HP . --- Man , I couldn't get any of it to feed . --- Sent it back to the Factory with a crappy inletting job on the stock to boot .

Excellent service from Marlin , -- I was surprised -- Fourteen days total-elapsed-time , -- new stock with decent inletting ; --- and Marlin reported that they " Replaced the carrier , adjusted the extractor , and polished the chamber , -- and tested it with 10 rounds ea. of Federal , Win. , and Rem. 210 Gr. ammo " . --- I tried some virgin Rem. 210's , and it fed
O.K. , -- but rough .

But I wanted to shoot Beartooth Bullet's 280 Gr. LBT types warm handloads in this rifle , -- and they're famous for not feeding well in Marlins .

So I sent it to a Famous L/A Gunsmith ( won't mention names because I havn't decided final resolution yet ) -- It still won't feed the Beartooth 280's , -- or Fed. 250 Cast Cores . -- but it feeds the Rem. 210 Gr Soft Point Jacketed flawlessly .

Also had the Bbl. chopped to 17 " , and the action slicked up .
and a LimbSaver pad put on it .

I really like the package . -- How sweet it is when something turns out looking just like you pictured it .

If it turns out that the big meplats on the LBT types , or the OAL , just ain't compatible with Marlin's design , --- I guess I can retreat to shooting only Jacketed bullets that have a little curve-ogive to the front of the bullet .

But that's really disappointing , because I bought the weapon around that Idea of a heavy , LBT design bullet .

Win. has a 240 Gr. Jacketed HP out that looks promising . -- Just by looking at it , I'll bet it will feed well too .

Will let you know how it turns out .

If , after I discuss it with the Gunsmith , there seems no place to go , -- I'll take a hard look at that Winchester , 240 Grainer Jacketed HP .

Have yet to fire the rifle , -- so I can't speculate as to how it might or might not wear in . --- but the action job is really slicked up . When I run the Rem. 210 Jacketed through it , it moves like the engine in a Rolls Royce .

--------------- Best Regards , -- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
MMCOUGAR,

I'd be interested in hearing what kind of velocities you get from that 17" barrel. Sounds like a handy-dandy smokestick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts