Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at an ATI O/U yesterday, and was impressed with the fit and finish of this gun.
Great wood and good feel. I'm a little leary of it because it is made in India.
The price is low but don't know anything about their track record.
Anyone have one that could give me some feedback ???

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Pretty sure it is a Turkish made gun. Been alot of chatter about it on shotgun sites. The usual stuff, some noses upraised, and some stating the obvious, these are good guns for the money. I have a Turkish CZ Huguls SxS, as my deer drive gun that has been used very hard for years with 3 inch buckshot, no problems, love the thing. Also have some "high end" SxS, would give them up before my drive gun. Buy it, enjoy it, its probably a Zildi or Kofs made Turkish gun, which are very comparable to CZ.

The nice thing about these guns, is you can beat the heck out of them and not destroy a thousand dollars of SxS or O/U collectors value.

Reactions: Plumber

·
Registered
299 Posts
I considered buying one awhile back and then read that there has been some galling issues after repeated opening and closing. Maybe this thread will turn up some legit reports from MO people because I'm still tempted on getting one.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
I'm not familar with them I'm afraid or if it applies to ATI, but do know somethimes this "where made" can get confusing between manufacturers. Sometimes it's just certain models of the same brand made in a certain country, and sometimes the parts may be machined etc. in one, but final assembly/test/shipped somewhere else. To be honest I don't remember the details exactly off-hand and may have this mixed up, but for an example my daughter has a shotgun that the machined parts are from Belgium, but the stocks/final assembly was done in Portugal... so where is it made, ha?
I guess anymore maybe it depends how well a given company oversees/controls the actual manufacturing processes for quality than where it comes from. The so-called global economy in action...?

Reactions: jim716

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Well made in turkey aint a bad thing. I had a weatherby 12 guage with changeable chokes that was made in turkey and loved it.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
A lot of name brand doubles are being made in Turkey now days along with auto's. Most complaints I have heard of come from weak materials used on their firing pins. I just bought a Tri- Star EX Hunter and love it very much. I have only shot about 3 boxes of ammo through it, but so far its doing a good job for me. I just got a very nice Fausti 20 ga. O/U Upland 2. Its made in Italy, same described problems weak firing pins. I have had firing pin problems in the past with an Antonio Zoli Italian made SXS. I no longer have that one. Many of these guns get bad reps. Look at them now. What you could buy years ago for 200 dollars now sell for 2000.00 or more. I have a suspicion that most broken firing pins are actually caused by anxious hunters snapping shut a new gun. Almost all doubles require the action to be fully opened before closing. This ***** the firing pins. New guns are stiff as heck and require quiet a bit of force to open. You gotta break them just like a Marlin. You can open a new gun and extract the empties and reload it with out cocking the bottom barrel. If that barrel has been fired the pin will be out and get snapped off when slamming it shut. When I was on a quest to buy a new double I went to many shotgun forms and quickly determined these sites where not for me. Most of them are full of snobs that think there are only 2 good double lines on the market. These sites are full of Ogor's too just waiting to pick a fight. As far as the ATI I am not familiar with them, never heard of that brand, doesn't mean its not a nice gun. Keep your ear to this wheel some one here will steer you right with out trying to bash you. I'll be watching myself for positive information.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
tcfeet, just googled ATI and found that they sell a O/U called Calvary. I then went to youtube and found a review. I watched the video, it was a little lengthy but very well worth watching. The fellow giving the review had problems with his gun and tore it apart and basically determined that the problem was the gun was not fully cocking upon opening. Kinda what I mentioned in my earlier post. He noticed during inspection when actually trying to determine his problem was believe it or not lack of lubricate. He shows how to partially disassemble the gun and how to lubricate key components. It give you enough info. to help you understand how this gun functions. Its a beautiful shotgun with nice Turkish wood. This guns action is different from mine. n ATI's web site they list this gun weighing under 6 lbs. This may be a misprint. Most 12 ga. O/U's weigh at least 7 and a half pounds. Most guns from Turkey have a 5 year warranty. Lets face it a 500 dollar shotgun with a 5 year warranty is a no brainer for me. I don't have 2000.00 dollars to spend on a gun that I will probably shoot 1000 rounds a year in. I looked at several O/U's before I got my gun. I paid to much for mine, but I was trading guns. If you can put your hands on some different brands check them out. I like good wood and some brands just don't have hat anymore, especially CZ and Mossberg. I think they may have spent more money for quality control and opted for cheaper wood to offset costs so they could still be in the 600 price range.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Do yourself a favor and keep looking for a clean used Browning Citori or maybe an SKB and you'll have a lifetime shotgun. I've seen some very nice specimens for around $900. If you can wait and save your milk money you will end up much happier. In the long run. The Turkish guns get low grades in most circles on triggers and staying tight.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. This gun has "India" stamped on the receiver. The wood is listed as Turkish Walnut..It could have been
made in Ethiopia for all I know. As pleasing to the eye as any I've seen.
Although, it had a spot of rust at the rear of the barrel that had drained into the chamber of one barrel. Did it occur from the blueing
process and not cleaned ?? Makes me back up a step though..

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
tcfeet, burk made a very good point. There is nothing wrong with a good used gun. Miruko makes some of the best O/U's made. They are sold under the names of Browning, Winchester and Charles Daly. I found a Miruko made Charles Daly and turned a friend onto the gun cause I did not have the cash to purchase it myself. The price tag was under 6 hundred dollars. I did buy from him a little Fausti 20ga. O/U from him that he had purchased a week before. In your quest for a good O/U think about and look at a 20 ga. They are so much lighter and slimmer. The 20 will do just as good as a twelve if chambered in 3 inch. The 20's recoil is so much more lighter than the twelve, even in at 6 lbs. Take your time looking .Don't buy any new gun with rust on it. Open all actions and check to tight fit no wobbles or side to side play. It one is very tight when breaking down doesn't mean there's a problem, might just mean the gun hasn't been shot much. Good luck on your quest. Let us know what you get.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I made a goof-up about the place of manufactory.... My Bad,
It is indeed made in Turkey instead of India.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
I'm still thinking about a Tristar O/U in 3.5" 12ga, price is right, most reviews are positive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts