Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally picked up my gun at my gunsmith. It feels great in my hand and with the 5" bbl and parts it makes me look twice at it thinking it is a real .45. And unless you pick it up and feel the weight difference between the .22 LR ammo and the .45 ammo, you would never know. The trigger feels great out of the box (not perfect) but at least it is something to adjust and play with.

For reference I had a Ruger MK II 22/45 with a bull barrel that was a pretty good balance match for a real .45. Yes I know pictures are expected & I will do a montage after going to the range. I already have a picture of it in this other Marlin post so take a look.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,82202.msg773311.html#msg773311

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Re: ATI GSG 1911-22 LR instead of a Conversion Kit

Looking forward to pictures and a range report. One of these GSI 1911-22's have been high on my must investigate list, but I haven't yet found one locally.

I'm especially interested in which parts are actually interchangeable with regular 1911's. From all I've read the trigger, sear, hammer, and springs are interchangeable, as are parts like the mainspring housing and, I believe, even the thumb safety.

Sounds like the trigger should be easy to improve and a little customizing would be possible. And what 1911 aficionado can resist a little personalization? ;)

Give it a good shakedown John, and please share your findings.

Roe

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Roe,

I don't know if you saw this post in a 1911 forum or not but he is the import manager for ATI in Rochester, NY.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=283805

Also here is the interchangeable parts list you asked about:

On the GSG 1911 what parts are interchangeable w/ an actual 1911 .45?

Barrel Bushing
Front & Rear Site
Hammer
Trigger
Grip Safety
the Whole Main Spring Housing
Thumb Safety
Sear
Disconnector
Sear Spring
Grip Panels (but not the screws because they're in metric)
Mag Release
Sear Pin
Hammer Pin
Plunger Tube
Plunger Spring

Since I am not a gun parts expert, I would like to know what parts aren't interchangeable besides the barrel obviously for ammo reasons .22 versus .45. I was able to figure that one out on my own. ;D

Reactions: T-Roy

·
Registered
260 Posts

I Bought the Chiappa 1911-22 A few months ago... very similar. I like it, it is a cheap little .22 shooter. ;D

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts

Wow! That is quite an interchangability list!

A local shop was selling .22 1911 replicas a few months back for dirt cheap...$179 for the Chiappas, and $199 for the GSGs. There was already a large, scorched hole in my pocket so I passed on the deal.

I will be having to get one of those GSGs!

Jon

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts

I finally got to handle a GSG at a gunshow today and I must say, I was impressed. With the exception of the excessive amount of highlighted printing on the firearm and a grip safety that was very stiff (easily remedied), I found no fault with this well made .22. The trigger on this sample was very good...crisp, rather light, and with very little overtravel.

The fit and finish of the entire package was very good. A quality piece, much better than many of the centerfire 1911's that crowd the marketplace today. To nitpick...I didn't care for the yellow(?) three-dot sights on this gun, but as both are dovetail mounted, swapping them for something more to my liking should be easy.

There is no comparison between the GSG and the Chiappa. None of the cheap pot-metal/kids-toy feel of the Chiappa is present with the GSG. This gun feels and functions exactly like a 1911 and it's not until you rack the slide, feel the light recoil spring, and see the .22 caliber chamber that it becomes apparent you are not holding a .45.

I like it so much, it's at the top of my short list. It would have come home with me today if it wasn't for the LNIB 4" S&W 34 a fellow S&W enthusiast twisted my arm to buy. ;)

Roe

·
Registered
421 Posts

Thanks for the report....I have been curious about them also. None in my area yet.

Thought about getting a conversion kit for my PT1911, but when one of the folks on another sight shared his expierences, I have been leaning in that direction. For about the same cost of a conversion kit....and still function and feel like a real 1911.....I will probally got that route. I have read they are not as accurate as....lets say a Ruger MK II or MK III, but good enough for me.

Lonerider

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

planeflyer21 said:
Wow! That is quite an interchangability list!

A local shop was selling .22 1911 replicas a few months back for dirt cheap...$179 for the Chiappas, and $199 for the GSGs. There was already a large, scorched hole in my pocket so I passed on the deal.

I will be having to get one of those GSGs!

Jon
Unfortunately Jon I doubt if you will find any GSG's for $199 now, at least not new. I have some additional comments to make in addition to Roe's. Of course mine will not be of the same authoritative quality. I got my camera fixed and I will even post a few pictures of my targets for comic relief. Just try not to laugh too hard when you see my meager efforts, remember I have not done any serious shooting since last summer! Be gentle and I should get them up tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts

Looking forward to seeing your results, Doc. I just picked one of these up yesterday and it will be interesting to see how our results match...or differ.

Just got home last night from the other side of the state, but I've already "altered" mine, partly to test the interchangability with true 1911 parts, partly because...well...it's what I do. ::)

I'll doubt I'll get the chance to shoot it until next weekend, but hope to get pictures this week and I'll post about what I discovered during takedown, parts swapping, and reassembly.

Roe

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts

Even at the prices I'm seeing them now, STILL a bargain!

Considering the pot-metal quality of the Kimber conversion kits that go for $325, the GSG 1911 is good stuff!

Jon

·
Registered
13 Posts

I bought one of these GSG's a few months ago. It is an excellent little gun. I also had access to a chiappa and let me tell you, the two are nothing alike. Here are some targets I shot with my GSG, 15 yards, 2 hand, no rest:
Federal Bulk-

CCI mini-mags-

Backed out to 20 yards:
Federal Bulk-

CCI mini-mags-

So far I have changed the grips, mainspring housing (I don't like the arched ones), the thumb safeties (the originals felt like they were made of plastic), and the barrel bushing since mine came with a plastic one.
All in all it is a great gun that I am very happy with. I paid $329 for mine.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts

Good shooting and welcome to the forum wbw2. I have not had the chance to give mine a true workout past a quick function test last night. Good to see the fine accuracy you're getting with yours...gives me alot to look forward to.

I've detail stripped my example and replaced many of the parts...some, like the MSN out of necessity, others as a bit of an experiment of the interchangability with standard and aftermarket 1911 parts. So far, I must admit I'm rather impressed with the GSG. Hope to post a detailed review soon.

Roe

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts

Thanks for sharing the info, Guys.

You've all peaked my interest. Because it's a 1911, I'll need to have one.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
The following was written earlier in the week before some of the latter posts to this thread were added. I appologize if I cover ground already covered, but I'm too lazy to rewrite it ::) I think you'll find it informative.

There has been a lot of talk about the ATI GSG 1911-22 for a while now, both good reports and interesting reviews, but plenty of misinformation as well. Even though, or maybe due to, my interest was aroused but finding one locally to inspect has been difficult. I finally had the chance to handle one about a month ago and was favorably impressed. When I saw another this past weekend I decided it was time to find out about this new 1911 for myself.

The GSG 1911-22 is a dedicated .22 rimfire 1911, but unlike some of the other .22 caliber 1911 clones on the market, this unit not only resembles the 1911, but many of the parts are interchangeable with true 1911 parts. That means not only is customization possible but a fine trigger pull is as easy as with any centerfire 1911. To make sense of the alphabet soup, ATI, American Tactical Imports of Rochester, New York is the exclusive importer and distributor for the manufacturer GSG, German Sport Guns GmbH.

The GSG comes in a foam lined plastic storage case and includes one 10 round magazine, 2 extra front sight blades of varying heights, a set of Allen wrenches or hex keys for disassembly and sight swapping, an extra shock buff, a chamber brush, owner’s manual, the ubiquitous lock, and a 12mm wrench that apparently is used to install the fake suppressor ::) that is available as an option for these pistols

The GSG is nicely finished in a matte black “melonite” type finish, attractive except for the overdone white printing on the right side of the pistol. Both the frame and the slide are a non-magnetic alloy, free of any mold lines or imperfections. The barrel, barrel bushing, slide stop, magazine body, and much of the lockwork is steel. The first impression is that of a well made, well finished 1911, that could pass for a centerfire if not for the sub-caliber hole in the muzzel.

It comes with what is often called “enhanced” features…a beavertail grip safety, long three-hole trigger with adjustable over travel screw, extended ambidextrous thumb safety, and bold 3-dot sights with bright yellow (?) inserts. Rather unusual in today’s market, the serrated mainspring housing is arched rather than flat. The safety worked easily but retained a positive “snick” when manipulated both on and off. The factory trigger pull was quite good, a bit heavy with a very small amount of creep, a good let-off, and very little perceptable overtravel.

My first course of action was to detail strip the gun and takedown is not significantly different than a true 1911…with a few important exceptions. The barrel is mounted rigidly to the frame and after removing the slide stop there is a second pin that must be removed from the left side of the frame, and a hex head screw that must be removed from the right, before the slide and barrel can be removed from the frame. The barrel bushing, recoil spring plug, recoil spring and guide rod, along with the barrel, can now be removed from the slide in the normal manner. This should be as far as is necessary for normal cleaning.

A quick note here. The steel barrel bushing appears to be a standard 1911 bushing and fits the slide finger tight like many centerfire 1911’s, but the .22 caliber barrel is smaller in outside diameter than normal barrels and makes no contact with the barrel bushing. I was surprised and a little disappointed at this and hoped the soild barrel to frame mounting would be enough to offer good accuracy.

The frame can be disassembled in the same way as a normal 1911. In fact, except for the grips screws and bushings, all the other parts contained within the frame are interchangeable with true 1911 parts. This includes the trigger, sear, disconnect, hammer and strut, thumb safety, grip safety, leaf spring, and mainspring housing. I’m not confident the mainspring is the same strength as a center fire example and I found that the couple of standard 1911 magazine catches I had on hand would not work in the GSG frame.

First order of business was to replace the arched mainspring housing with the flat style that I prefer. A search of my parts box uncovered a checkered, flat housing that fit perfectly. It also eliminated the magazine safety that rides on the side of the factory MSH and prevents the trigger from moving when the magazine is removed. Good riddance. A spare Videcki trigger was installed, not because there was any fault with the issue trigger, just in the name of research. For the same reason, a match hammer and sear from another build was substituted for the originals. All fit without trouble and functioned perfectly, the end result a crisp, clean pull weighing right at 2.5 pounds.

This is a good time to mention these guns are set up with a firing pin safety in the “Series 80” fashion and these parts were retained. A little tuning of the three fingered sear spring to reduce the weight of the trigger pull and relieve the excessive amount of force that was required to depress the grip safety and the reassembly was nearly complete. Grips are interchangeable as well, but you must use the original grip screws as they are both a different diameter and thread pitch than standard, probably metric. A set of smooth Birdseye Maple grips replaced the nicely checkered but otherwise unremarkable factory offerings.

With no time to get to the range this week, I took the gun to work along with a handful of both CCI 40 grain standard velocity round nose and that same brand’s 36 grain high velocity hollow points, to at least give it a function test. I set up a makeshift backstop and bullet trap (a couple of thick phone books) in the warehouse where I was able to back off about 10 yards. GSG claims the 1911-22 will function with both standard and high velocity ammo so I loaded the magazine with a mix of the two. The pistol fed, fired, and ejected perfectly through the 24 or 25 rounds I fired and even though I took no particular care to shoot a group I was rewarded with the cluster shown below. I was using a six o’clock hold and the point of impact was just above the front sight just slightly right of my point of aim. The rear sight is drift adjustable for windage.

Realize this was from only 10 yards, but remember this was a mix of SV and HV ammo. Hopefully I can get out to the range and give the pistol a thorough workout at further distances soon, but my misgivings about the barrel bushing seem unfounded, especially after seeing the good groups fired by wbw2. It’s a little too early to draw conclusions, but the GSG has already grown on me and I’m looking forward to putting a lot more rounds through this gun. Testing a .22 with the many different brands and styles of ammo available can be a time consuming endeavor, but I think I'm up for the challenge.

Roe

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Thanks Roe!

I've decided I'm going to get a slew of 1911s, from .22LR up to .45acp, so as to demonstrate same size different recoils of different calibers.

Looking forward to this one!

Jon

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
Barenjager said:
[i
The GSG is nicely finished in a matte black “melonite” type finish, attractive except for the overdone white printing on the right side of the pistol. Both the frame and the slide are a non-metallic alloy, the barrel, barrel bushing, slide
Roe

Roe,

I haven't handled one of these pistols yet, but explain to me what you mean by "non metalic Alloy"...........is that plastic?...............If so, my money may stay in my pocket........

Thanks,

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
My typing error, Tom...that should read non-magnetic.

The slide and frame are metal...my best guess, one of the aluminum alloys. It appears to me to be well made and well machined, better than some of the centerfire 1911's that are on the market today.

Thanks for the proof read. It has been edited and corrected.

Roe

·
Premium Member
18,099 Posts
Okay, okay, when you texted me on the way home from the Funshow and said you'd bought that gun I didn't believe you. I was thinking it was another pot-metal 1911 look-alike, and thought you were pulling my leg. I see now why you snagged it, and while I dearly love my Buckmark and don't need any more 22's, that one might find a place in the safe. I'm quite surprised The General didn't snag one too!

As always, I enjoyed the pictures as much as the write-up, and I'm wondering how long it took you to arrange that pile of 22 ammo in the last picture. I'm pretty sure you didn't just get out a satchel of ammo, and unceremoniously dump it out in a heap. That's not your style.

Meticulous AND insidious. What a combination! 8)

I'm looking forward to your "Field Test" results. Squirrels Beware!

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK here's one of my GSG and my RIA .45

Here's my first target in years. Did nothing to the guns as yet. Classic error shooting low to start.

Here's a solo of the .45 With my lack of practice, forget about putting all the bullets in one hole, if two or three of my bullets touch I'm ectstatic! BTW, shooting was done at about 10-15 yards.

Here's the two guns with some grips begging to be shown off! Amboyna Burl, Bird's Eye Maple and Kingwood.

Here's one of the 2 guns side by side with the stock sights on each

I know I have not shot in years, but it kills me. I remember when the ROTC officer was behind me at college and I put quite a few bullets in one hole, but as Obi Wan said that was a long time ago. Nothing much more to add as yet, but both guns have very good triggers out of the box, feel balanced and are fun to shoot. Oh one more thing, after shooting nothing but .22's, darn that .45 kicks!

Reactions: T-Roy

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Those Amboyna Burl grips are gorgeous. :eek: They need to be on a gun! 8)

That's a good view of those bright yellow sights...not sure why they picked yellow, but they do catch the eye. These GSG's seem to be quite reliable, have you had any feeding or ejection issues with yours?

Roe

1 - 20 of 31 Posts