Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear1.jpg Bear3.jpg

This is the 2nd bear I seen in Texas. This is in Red River county

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I sort of wish we had wildlife like that here. But then I'd be getting bit by tiger snakes because I'd be always looking over my shoulder instead of where I'm going.:ahhhhh:

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully he be gone by dear season if not will need to find another place to hunt since the fellow is protected here.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like a man he is only going to leave that food for one thing. If it is a female she ain't going anywhere. :driver:
Yea thinking that to. Might talk to my friend that owns this land and see about leaving that feeder empty for maybe a month and see if the bear moves on.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yea thinking that to. Might talk to my friend that owns this land and see about leaving that feeder empty for maybe a month and see if the bear moves on.
You are correct, that is the only sure way to deal with bear at feeders - stop feeding. They are becoming more prevalent here in Louisiana.
Uncle Sid

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm glad they are here. I have heard of tracks in Cherokee County along the Neches river bottom. Hope they stay.

·
Registered
292 Posts
BLACK BEARS ARE RETURNING TO MISSISSIPPI
In the past several years, black bear populations have slowly begun building in the western part of Mississippi as bears have migrated across the Mississippi River from Arkansas and Louisiana, where population densities are higher. There are several black bears in the state that have been fitted with tracking collars by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) to monitor bear movement and habitat use. Recently, black bears in the state have been successful at reproducing and rearing cubs, showing signs that Mississippi’s once abundant black bear population is rebounding well.
“Black bears were once plentiful throughout Mississippi. One of the primary reasons for their decline was the loss of habitat seen in Mississippi over the last 150 years. Today, there is no doubt that our state’s bear population is increasing. Screen Shot 2014-07-11 at 20.05.06.png

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
I like the idea of having them here in Texas too.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes, I'm looking forward to trash cans being turned upside down and torn into tiny fragments over a football field area, and this happening to every trash can along a 5 mile stretch of country road. Only one animal can do that! I think it will be hard to keep them alive around here. People get real mad real quick. They do make bear proof trash containers, but right now our county has gone to these plastic tubs that make it easy for trash collection. They are mandatory and NOT bear proof. Even one bear around here would be hilarious for about a week, but then it would be dead. I love bears and would love to have them as neighbors, but I'm certain that I'm in the minority. There is a reason they disappeared from here years ago. They used to be in every part of MS. They just don't play well with others. I was at a campground in VA near the Blue Ridge mountains a few years ago, and they had nice cinder block restroom facilities. Late one night a lady walked the path to the well lit restroom, entered the LADIES section, and came face to face with a fellow who was routinely checking trash cans. Yes, it was Mr. BEAR. Her screams threatened the structure of the entire mountain chain, and she could not tell anybody what the bear did or where it went. I'll bet he was peeing as he left.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
I'm no stranger to bears. I have several adorning rooms in my house. We can learn to live with them. Once a healthy population is established, I am confident Texas will open a season on them. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy watching bears, and sometimes hunting them. Our bear season here in Washington opens August first. Getting pretty tempted since I've seen a couple in recent weeks.

We are not permitted to bait them or hunt them with dogs. Makes it interesting. Sometimes requires some pretty good shooting!

They're very, very cool animals. So much different, watching them, than watching deer. The bears seem to really think things through, and puzzle out problems. I like watching them!

Guy

·
Registered
6 Posts
The migrants crossing onto Texas won't be any more bothered by Texas bears than the ones crossing into Arizona are by Arizona bears. Arizona residents rarely see them and usually, they are running away when we do, so I don't foresee migrants having a big problem with them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts