Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a older 35 rem marlin (reportedly a 1955 model, same year I was born) should be coming in the mail soon. Trying to get ready for it and ask for your favorite loads for hunting, plinking, varmints, target. Reduced loads are interesting too.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm sure there are many combinations that will work. I have had consistent success with H335 in all of my 35Rem's. I'm rather fond of the 180gr Speer bullets, but the 200gr Corelokt and Sierras shoot well also.

Good luck and enjoy that 35.

·
Registered
562 Posts
So far, the Speer 180 FN has been the least accurate of the three bullets I've tried - and I've shot alot of them. Most accurate has been the Remington 200 Cor-lokt, followed by the Speer 220 FN, and finally the Speer 180 FN. I think my gun likes bullets with a longer surface contacting the rifling.

I've loaded the Speer 180 with 39.5 grains of H4895 (which is .5 grains over max from my Lee manual) and still it shows signs of low pressure by the primers protruding.

I've only tried H4895 so far but just loaded up some rounds with Accurate 2520. I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

My best accuracy has been with the factory Hornady LeverEvolution ammunition. I hope to get some of their bullets some day to see if I can make handloads that will be just as accurate.

Currently I'm working on testing the AA2520 for accuracy, and working up to 38.5 grains of H4895 with the Speer 220.

I already have a fairly accurate load with H4895 and the 200 Cor-Lokt which I use for deer hunting. But, I'd like to have a good stout load worked up for the 220 Speer in case I ever get to hunt for hogs, moose, elk, or bears. Some would say a .35 Remington doesn't have enough punch for a moose or an elk. I don't care. It may not be THE most devastating weapon on those animals, but for centuries men have killed those animals with bow and arrow. A .35 Remington is what I have so it's what I'd use if I ever get the chance. I think it would be more effective than a sharp stick, anyway.

Reactions: huskie-06

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have been told that in the early days of the .35 Rem it was considered a fine moose and elk round.

That whole sharp stick thing is why I personally don't bow hunt.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Kart29 said:
So far, the Speer 180 FN has been the least accurate of the three bullets I've tried - and I've shot alot of them.

I've loaded the Speer 180 with 39.5 grains of H4895 (which is .5 grains over max from my Lee manual) and still it shows signs of low pressure by the primers protruding.

I've only tried H4895 so far but just loaded up some rounds with Accurate 2520. I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

Hey Kart,
I had lousy accuracy with the H4895/180gr Speer combo also. When I switched to the H335, it really tightened them up.
I'm anxious to hear how the AA2520 performs. Please post your findings.

·
Registered
562 Posts
okay. I HOPE to get to the range this weekend. But, it's going to be a busy weekend what with my wife's birthday, visiting in-laws, and the Indy 500 and all.

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
I'd suggest the 200 Core-Lokt in the following loads. This is IMO the best of the 200's regarding bullet performance. Other 200's may or may not shoot more accurately in your gun, but the Remington will in the lead when speaking of reliability, expansion at range, and terminal effect. Best of all, the Remington Core-Lokt is cheaper than the other brands.

IMR's maximum listed load of 37.5 grains IMR-3031 and the 200 Core-Lokt gets around 2070-2100 fps, which is a little faster than the typical factory load. An accurate load that fills the case.

If you have to have just a few .35 Remington powders, IMR 3031 should be on your short list.

39.0 grains H335, same bullet, 2120 fps, depending upon temperature. Hodgdon's 26th edition.

Ramshot TAC: from their website, 40 grains w/200 grain gets 2150 fps. A +P load would be 42.0 grains for 2250 fps and should be considered as a not to exceed. This is a good deer load at either level. Clean burning powder, temperature insensitive, which is a plus. The +P load is unnecessary for most uses.

TAC also works very well with the 220 Speer, as does H4895 and Accurate 2520.

For the 180 Speer, try 42.0 grains H335 (Hodgdon's 26th) or 38.0 grains H322 for 2300 and 2350 fps respectively. Reloder 10X, Accurate 2460 and H4895 are also very capable with the 180 Speer.

For an accurate, destructive varmint load that is most likely to be accepted by most leverguns, try the 158 grain .357 jacketed pistol hollowpoints over 33-35 grains Reloder 7. The 125 grain jacketed bullets are super explosive at the speeds possible in the .35 Remington, but the shorter bearing surface bullets are usually less capable in the grouping department. No woodchuck or coyote would survive a halfway square hit with these bullets. Your levergun may or may not feed more than one bluntnosed pistol bullet through the magazine, possibly limiting the gun to two shots, which is no big deal. Only way to know for sure is to try them in your particular gun.

Reduced loads: Lee 158 RNFP or Tumble lube SWC of the same weight. Try 9.0 grains W231 and the (proper) use of dacron filler to get a clean burning plinking load at around 1200 fps. SR 4759 and Alliant 2400 also work well with the dacron/plainbase bullet and have higher velocity potential with the cast gascheck bullet should you desire it. Full power cast with a gascheck: 200 RCBS FN cast of wheelweights plus a little tin and 33-35 grains IMR 3031. You're set to go deer hunting with this load.

Most likely your 50's Marlin will have a short throat that, while not ideal, does a pretty passable job with cast bullets. Be sure to get all the jacketed fouling out before trying cast.

That's a good start. I've got enough information to bury you with data as do a lot of the other guys here, so if you have a particular powder or two in mind just let us know. I'll bet some of us have loads for it.

Congratulations on joining the .35 Remington fraternity. There's a bunch of fanatics here. I would also suggest Beartooth's forum as a good site for .35 Remington shooters.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
The 200 gr Rem RN is hard to beat. Both of my 35 Rems like the AA2015 powder with that bullet.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
I have a 1971 35Rem Model 336C is there anything that restricts its loads from being normal. I know some of the early model rifles we have to be careful of but is the 1971 late enough so as I don't have to worry about light loads and heavy loads.

fknipfer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure-Shot said:
Do a search for author, 35 Remington, he has written some very well thought out and very easy to follow information on the 35 rem cartridge.

Went and found them here are the links
http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5522&highlight=

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=7180&highlight=
SureShot- What a fantastic research this fella did. I will not be hesitant to try a number of bullets, including some cast lead models after reading his posts. Thanks for finding them.

by the way is there any way of saving the posts, or the reference to them?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Duckbill said:
I'm sure there are many combinations that will work. I have had consistent success with H335 in all of my 35Rem's. I'm rather fond of the 180gr Speer bullets, but the 200gr Corelokt and Sierras shoot well also.

Good luck and enjoy that 35.
Duckbil- Both of your favs are on my list of tryouts. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kart29 said:
Some would say a .35 Remington doesn't have enough punch for a moose or an elk. I don't care. It may not be THE most devastating weapon on those animals, but for centuries men have killed those animals with bow and arrow. A .35 Remington is what I have so it's what I'd use if I ever get the chance. I think it would be more effective than a sharp stick, anyway.
Kart29- I agree with you. And you struck a nerve too. I think that modern day writers have us half-way convinced that we must have a modern day cannon to take on an elk. (As you already know, moose are bigger, but not as tuff inside as elk). For many many years men whose families depended on them taking an elk or moose or deer for supper meat did what they always had done.. they stalked, they waited for the right angle and distance and shot their prey.

It is just like that today. A responsible hunter waits for the right angle, distance and timing for a good shot. If it's good sport to hunt elk with a bow and 550 grain arrow at 235' per second, (like mine for instance), why would a 200g. jacketed bullet at 2000' per second not do the job if placed carefully? Certainly, it will and does up here in Canada every year. There, I got that off my chest. lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
35remington said:
Most likely your 50's Marlin will have a short throat that, while not ideal, does a pretty passable job with cast bullets. Be sure to get all the jacketed fouling out before trying cast.

That's a good start. I've got enough information to bury you with data as do a lot of the other guys here, so if you have a particular powder or two in mind just let us know. I'll bet some of us have loads for it.

Congratulations on joining the .35 Remington fraternity. There's a bunch of fanatics here. I would also suggest Beartooth's forum as a good site for .35 Remington shooters.
35Rem- I like your suggestions and will try many of them. Do you know how I might discover just how short the throat of the marlin might be? I have heard of pouring a mold from molding material. Maybe just looking down the receiver with a light viewer would tell the tale?

I will find the Beartooth forum. Nice to meet you all.

Reactions: HeatLightnin'

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
big medicine said:
The 200 gr Rem RN is hard to beat. Both of my 35 Rems like the AA2015 powder with that bullet.
BM- How did you find out about the AA2015 powder? I have not seen it around here in Alberta.

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
You really can't judge throat length by looking into the chamber-depth perception is a problem. It can be done with what you have, though.

If you don't have Cerrosafe (chamber casting alloy) you may get an idea of the length of your throat by seating the bullet out a bit more than normal and seeing if the cartridge chambers with an easy closing of the lever. Don't exceed 2.57" OAL or you'll have to take the bolt out to eject the cartridge (ejection port length is limited).

With a shorter throat the rifling will try to "grab" the bullet when seated out and will leave engraving marks. It may even pull the bullet out of the case if you shove it into the rifling too far. A short throat rifle won't allow the handloader to seat the bullet out very far. Most 336's won't let you have much full bearing surface forward of the casemouth. This usually means that you'll crimp in the cannelure and duplicate factory ammunition as to OAL. This isn't any handicap with the 200 RN's and the 180 and 220 Speer, as they were designed to function in the .35 Remington. However, some cast bullets and pistol bullets have bearing surfaces further forward which limit things. For example, some .357 pistol bullets cannot be crimped in the cannelure and function through the gun, since they have bearing surface forward of the cannelure that hits the rifling origin and prevents the lever from closing fully. The solution there is to seat the bullet deeper and use the Lee factory crimp die to crimp the bullet above the cannelure.

Cerrosafe is available from Brownell's or Midway. It takes some contortions to pour it into the chamber of a 336, but you get a good view of chamber dimensions and can take some measurements that could be of use to you-throat length (if any) chamber neck diameter, length, taper to throat, etc.

FWIW, my 2003 .35 Remington 336 is an exception to all this short throat business. It has a very noticeably longer throat than my other 336 35.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Copying you can do both.
To copy the article put your mouse at the start and then scrowl down while holding the left mouse button down. If you let it up you will stop hilighting the text. When you have it all hilighted then let up on the left button and put your pointer on the hilighted text, and click the right button on your mouse and select copy. Open your writing program (word, wordperfect or whatever you use.) With a blank page put your mouse to the page and again right click and select paste. The text that was hilighted should then appear on the page.

If you just want to save the link right click on the link and select copy shortcut, open your writing program and again right click and paste. Then save your document.

For ease I usually open both this site and the writing program and then go back and forth by clicking on the one I want in the task bar on the bottom of the screen.

·
Registered
172 Posts
BM- How did you find out about the AA2015 powder? I have not seen it around here in Alberta.

................I bought some AA2015 at wholesale sports edmonton last year. My 1961 336 .35 Rem doesn't like it at all. I get .25" groups @ 50 yards with 35 Grains of H322 and the Hornady 200 grain interlock. I have it zeroed dead on at 125 yards. Out to 175 yards i can hold on hair. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts