Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The article was written by Brian Pearce.Remington admitted to him that they screwed up by moving production to NY and did not retain former employees.Brian calls it as he sees it.He will be do Marlin product evaluation in the future and if the Guns quality is not up to snuff,he will call Remington out on it.Brian knows quite a bit about Marlin 95s and 336s.He has killed just about everything in Africa with a 45/70.Remington needs this kind of pressure to bring the Old Marlin Quality back!!!OB:biggrin:

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
The article was written by Brian Pearce.Remington admitted to him that they screwed up by moving production to NY and did not retain former employees.Brian calls it as he sees it.He will be do Marlin product evaluation in the future and if the Guns quality is not up to snuff,he will call Remington out on it.Brian knows quite a bit about Marlin 95s and 336s.He has killed just about everything in Africa with a 45/70.Remington needs this kind of pressure to bring the Old Marlin Quality back!!!OB:biggrin:
I just picked up this issue the other day and had a chance to read that article. It's really great to see a popular gun magazine like theirs bring this issue out to the forefront and bring these issues to life. I'm looking forward to reading his reviews on the new "Marlin" rifles.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I can't believe the corporate types would admit to anything......to me, they're all a bunch of "crooks". Marlin, Remington, ExxonMobil, Chase Bank....you get the picture......

That's not how things are done in the US in this day and time.....It's all about "costs versus profit" and nothing else, and it's costing Remlin as I haven't bought anything that they've made. I'm only buying older Marlin made stuff. (That's a period at the end of that sentence. Clear enough?)

·
Registered
970 Posts
I read the article yesterday.

This is what you get when you let MBA's run things instead of engineers.
Disclaimer: I'm not defending Remington management here per se.

Engineers are excellent at what they do. They are the problem solvers of the world. the inventors of the new things that make our life so enjoyable. BUT, MBA's have a place and they are generally good at running profitable companies. The problem is one of internal communication. If Remington's costs make selling a product "unprofitable", they need to speak to the engineers and explain the need to reduce costs without sacrificing quality. the engineers need to do a give-and-take with management to find an equitable solution. Doesn't seem like this is occurring......

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I would like to read that article too, if I can find it.

I wouldn't give Remington any of my money, so maybe it would be a waste of time.

Mike T

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don't think it really matters. There's plenty of people who love their Remlins. I don't get it, but they are still happy to shell out their hard earned money on them. I can spot a Remlin 10 feet away. Buy em up I say. That leaves more room for the real ones.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Talk about the proverbial broken record.
The former JM Marlin company is gone, dead, passé, history, kaput.
No amount of Remlin bashing, whining, griping, complaining or biatching is going to change that.
If you don't want to buy a Remlin then don't buy one.
But why sour the experience of those of us that do with the constant bashing.
It's our money so don't worry about it.
Time to MOVE ON.
For Heaven sake give the Remlin bashing a rest.
It's getting really tired.

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
Don't get me started on engineers.......I worked with them for years......

We used to say that engineers didn't have enough sense to pour pi__ out of a boot with the instructions wrote on the heel....
I happen to be an engineer, and I'm pretty sure I have enough sense to pour p*ss out of a boot without any instructions...

Reactions: 45BearGun

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Jake, now why'd you go and let someone p*ss in your boot? :biggrin:

Scientists and inventors are invaluable but engineers, degreed or not, put the ideas into practice. How well the ideas are put into practice is defined by corporate culture; let's hope Rem gets their culture right with consistency. They have the keys to the Marlin kingdom and have to but choose to use them.

Reactions: Buffalo Jake

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
Jake, now why'd you go and let someone p*ss in your boot? :biggrin:

Scientists and inventors are invaluable but engineers, degreed or not, put the ideas into practice. How well the ideas are put into practice is defined by corporate culture; let's hope Rem gets their culture right with consistency. They have the keys to the Marlin kingdom and have to but choose to use them.
Engineers also initiate ideas, come up with a design, and then put that design into motion. However, we are limited to what society wants to pay for these items. If you want a cheap product, we determine a way to make the product "cost effective;" however, if you want the top of the line, it's going to come at a cost. We design/build what we are asked to, even though we may feel there is a better way, it's not always the most cost effective. You get what you pay for.

Reactions: 4T57T and JACKTW

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
HHMM??, I say it almost daily!, Engineers never have to operate or work on anything they design!, they should have to work in the field for ten years before can put pen to paper!

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
HHMM??, I say it almost daily!, Engineers never have to operate or work on anything they design!, they should have to work in the field for ten years before can put pen to paper!
My dad owns a small construction company, and I grew up working for him, and on my grandfather's farm. I've framed houses, poured and finished concrete, built masonry walls, installed plumbing and sewer systems; the list goes on. I have a dual major in architectural engineering and construction management, with a specialty in designing mechanical systems; including plumbing and HVAC systems. I've installed them, and know how they operate. I've put my time in many times in the field, and I feel I've got a good grasp of what goes on in the field. I'm on all of my jobsites several times a week to answer any questions with my crew, and to help come up with solutions with any problems.

And also, if you think all of us engineers are nerds, and simply live in our offices; well I played football in college too and had a pretty good run at that as well. Before you go spouting off about engineers, try to think about the amount of hours we put in trying to design a certain item, under tight deadlines, all the while trying to appease the owner asking for the product. Like I said, a lot of the times the product is determined by what someone wants to pay for it, and the criteria for the design.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
A Remlin is better than nothing, in this day and age, anything is better than nothing.

Engineers and Lawyers brought us the cross bolt safety..... Nuff said

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
I never minded the cross bolt safety. I have some Marlins with it, and some without it. I can take it or leave it, it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I happen to be an engineer, and I'm pretty sure I have enough sense to pour p*ss out of a boot without any instructions...
If you're that smart, than you're one of the lucky few. I worked with engineers for more that thirty years. I've worked with all types of engineers from mechanical, to chemical, to civil, and there were only a few, repeat, few that were intelligent enough to bait a hook. I think mommy had to tie their shoe laces before they headed off to work. Engineers caused me and the people I worked with more problems than any other issues with the possible exception of the lack of preventative maintenance which was over saw by, yep, you guessed it....."engineers". In case you're wandering, my opinion of engineers is not high. Sorry if I'm stepping on your toes, but I've got the scars of all those engineers whom preceded you.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My dad owns a small construction company, and I grew up working for him, and on my grandfather's farm. I've framed houses, poured and finished concrete, built masonry walls, installed plumbing and sewer systems; the list goes on. I have a dual major in architectural engineering and construction management, with a specialty in designing mechanical systems; including plumbing and HVAC systems. I've installed them, and know how they operate. I've put my time in many times in the field, and I feel I've got a good grasp of what goes on in the field. I'm on all of my jobsites several times a week to answer any questions with my crew, and to help come up with solutions with any problems.

And also, if you think all of us engineers are nerds, and simply live in our offices; well I played football in college too and had a pretty good run at that as well. Before you go spouting off about engineers, try to think about the amount of hours we put in trying to design a certain item, under tight deadlines, all the while trying to appease the owner asking for the product. Like I said, a lot of the times the product is determined by what someone wants to pay for it, and the criteria for the design.

Your past experiences in different fields are why you are good at what you do.Experience and common sense are qualities a good Engineer needs to have.I worked in a Prototype Shop and have dealt with top flight Engineers who all had similar backgrounds to yours and some with only book learning that left much to be desired.All professions are the same.Some good and some not.Cheers,OB

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.