Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 1969 336 in 30/30. My grandfather let me borrow it when I was young, then put it away to leave me. It worked on my first deer at 12 years old, still works just as good today.
I enjoy the doe hunt every year. Don’t take it serious, and gives me a chance to see what’s moving around my stands, and just enjoy being in the woods.
Bonus, I shot a little meat doe, about 40 yards, while standing by my 4 wheeler eating a honey bun and drinking a Dr Pepper.
It was a calm day, cool 32 degrees this morning, and the deer were moving all day. Had a good time, and got some meat for the freezer.
Best part about it is the fact I used the gun I took my first deer with, and that my Grandfather saved for me all those years.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I have an old sporterized #4mk1 Lee Enfield that my father bought for me when I was about 16. Took my first deer with it and my son took his first deer with it. Keep it around for that reason. Really should play with the 215 grain Woodleigh bullets I bought for it and try for a deer. We have special doe permits in some areas of MN that permits one to take extra deer at times. I enjoy shooting a deer. They are all trophies.

DEP

·
Registered
29,164 Posts
Nothing like a little deer/pork sausage for the freezer!

Nice shot and sweet looking Marlin.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Congrats. You are way ahead of me. I didn't know about the early doe season until I opened the game and fish app last night to see when regular season opened.

Reactions: Da Duke and Arky73

·
Registered
914 Posts
Nice rifle! Seems like it aged well. I am hoping to pass on one to my grandboys as well. P. S. Nice shot.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Way to go Arky! I spent last weekend with my buddy in Salem Arkansas and you guys definitely need to take a few does out of the herd. Too bad I wasn’t there this weekend. If things work out I will be back in Salem next week from the 21st to the 24th for the Muzzleloader season. He hunts about 500 acres on the North Fork of Spring River, we seen about 30 does just driving through it the other day. Looks like on average the does might weigh 70 or 80 lbs, little smaller than our deer. I love to hunt over there in the hills and hollers, it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to go either.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Arky73

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Way to go Arky! I spent last weekend with my buddy in Salem Arkansas and you guys definitely need to take a few does out of the herd. Too bad I wasn’t there this weekend. If things work out I will be back in Salem next week from the 21st to the 24th for the Muzzleloader season. He hunts about 500 acres on the North Fork of Spring River, we seen about 30 does just driving through it the other day. Looks like on average the does might weigh 70 or 80 lbs, little smaller than our deer. I love to hunt over there in the hills and hollers, it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to go either.
Hope you get to come back and hunt. The does range in size all over the state. The one I shot was young, the older does in the area I mainly hunt are twice that size. Muzzleloading season should be good this year, acorns are falling like rain right now in my area.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice rifle! Seems like it aged well. I am hoping to pass on one to my grandboys as well. P. S. Nice shot.
Thanks. It did age well. Because he never shot it! Lol. He bought it new, I was the only one to shoot it when I was 12. And after I used it that year, he put it up, and it was never fired again until last year. It looks brand new.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Congrats on the doe and the day in the woods. I spent about 15 hours total in blinds over the weekend. I saw a yearling doe and watched her feed for nearly an hour. I heard several shots on adjoining properties. I'm hoping for different results for the muzzle loader opener next weekend. I did see half dozen doe/yearlings driving too and from and had to get hard on the brakes to keep from hitting a 6 point on the way in Sunday AM in the fog.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats on the doe and the day in the woods. I spent about 15 hours total in blinds over the weekend. I saw a yearling doe and watched her feed for nearly an hour. I heard several shots on adjoining properties. I'm hoping for different results for the muzzle loader opener next weekend. I did see half dozen doe/yearlings driving too and from and had to get hard on the brakes to keep from hitting a 6 point on the way in Sunday AM in the fog.
Thanks. It was for sure foggy Sunday morning. I went squirrel hunting for a few hours, and I was about 15 minutes late getting to my favorite spot due to the fog. I was driving 50mph in a 70, and couldn’t see 50 yards.

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
yall are making me crazy, i saw 2 does in front pasture about an hour ago, right about when the sheriff went driving by. gun sason doesnt start here till 11-23

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Arky73, I let my wife hunt while I worked at other locations on the lease. She was not successful. I saw more driving the Ranger around and working on stands. I've already seen two bucks chasing does. Good Luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts