Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am going to be staying in Arizona for Jan. and Feb. next winter. In the Phoenix area and will be checking the BLM land, public land for shooting and maybe hunting if they have any seasons going on then. Do they have feral hogs in Arizona ? What laws about shooting and any do's or don'ts ! Don't want to be digging my grave in front of some drug dealers crossing the borders :/ . Love hiking in the desert, it's a big change from MN northern woods and swamps. From driving threw the state there is a lot of land to check out and need a few starting points to work from , thanks !

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
It's also been some time since I've been to Az. but... no wild hogs but they do have javelina. Javelina are a pig-like animal that can be found just by stumping around in the desert. There is a hunting season for them though. Do yourself a favor and do some early morning wandering around in the desert. Be absolutely sure you use a GPS or a compass to mark where your vehicle is though. It's flat and open and dirt roads pop up everywhere and before you know it, you walking down the wrong road. Jan and Feb is cold in the morning so you might wear long johns in the morning and about 11:00 it warms up and they get stashed in your backpack. Snakes shouldn't be a problem that early in the year. A Leatherman Tool or pliers can be handy to pull out cactus thorns. Rabbit hunting is almost always good. Phoenix has some serious sprawl so you'll have to drive but once things open up, just take a dirt road and drive till you find someplace that looks good and explore. Don't forget the compass or GPS. You'll need it.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I haven't seen this post till now or I would have answered sooner. January and February have two different big game seasons. Most everything in January is archery. Over the counter archery deer tags can be had and January is when they rut in the desert.
In February, we have our rifle seasons for javelina. You have to be drawn for one of those tags and the draw deadline was last Tuesday. All is not lost, there are left over tags that are available after the drawing is complete. If you are interested in a leftover tag, let me know and I can keep you abreast of news about leftover tags.
The best and easiest hunt in January/February is the predator hunting. Wildlife managers are begging hunters to kill more coyotes and other predators in this state. Again, if you are interested, let me know and I can share more info.
If you are in the downtown area (south side) then your closest range is Rio Salado range (not 100% sure about my spelling). If you are in the Northern side of the valley, then Ben Avery is the closest range.
It's getting harder and harder to find acceptable places to target shoot on public lands in close proximity to Phoenix. There are always a few bad apples in every group. Because Phoenix has such a large population, those few bad apples are measured in the thousands. Therefor, the impact of irresponsible shooters among us are getting many popular shooting areas shut down due to the large accumulation of trash left behind and unsafe shooting practices. Anyways, you might find some difficulty finding public land to target shoot, without driving a fair distance.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
johnme let me know how your winter shooting goes as I plan on Arizona in Jan. 2016. We are trying florida this winter. Stay warm my friend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts