Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all

I just loaded up my first batch of 30-30 rounds this morning and I had a concern. My lee seating die would not seat the 160gr FTX bullets to the 2.55" seating depth that I was originally going for. At the deepest setting, I was able to get them to 2.70 which puts the case lip right at the bottom side of the cannelure. These are loaded up with 32gr, 32.5gr, and 33gr (5 rounds each) of LeverEvolution powder, 32gr being the minimum load listed.

I cycled a few of these through the action and they cycle fine and I cannot see an imprint of the rifling on any of the bullets.

What do y'all think?

I'd appreciate any insight on the matter.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Doubt at that length they will cycle in a marlin or winchester lever gun but the pressures will be just fine

Reactions: Magnum6

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I don't understand "My lee seating die would not seat the 160gr FTX bullets to the 2.55" seating depth that I was originally going for.". Is this a matter of the powder taking too much room, the die not being able to adjust to the desired seating depth or some other problem? I agree with the other posters, though. If it cycles it should be fine to shoot.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I had a redding die that would not seat the ftx bullets deep enough either. Never looked into it just got an rcbs instead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't understand "My lee seating die would not seat the 160gr FTX bullets to the 2.55" seating depth that I was originally going for.". Is this a matter of the powder taking too much room, the die not being able to adjust to the desired seating depth or some other problem? I agree with the other posters, though. If it cycles it should be fine to shoot.
Sorry about not being fully clear. It. The die would not adjust deep enough. I didn't have to compress powder or anything at these charges.

Thank you to everybody for the info. My main concern was with pressure. These do surprisingly cycle well. It's weird. I think I'm going to order one of the custom length seating pins from lee, but wanted to make sure that these initial rounds would be safe in the meantime. Who knows, perhaps the longer oal will be good for accuracy. I'll let yall know as soon as I get to the range.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
g-Man,
You May Have Accidentally Stumbled On the Perfect Length for Your Gun.
You May be Pleasantly Surprised at How Accurate they Shoot.
I'd be Willing to Bet that the 33gr Load Shoots the Best.
Give 'em a Try. They'll Probably Shoot Great.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: Slugnut

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
May want to go over setting up your seating die again. Was your die set up for a different press? Does it touch the shell holder when it's all the way up, or slightly off (if you don't want to crimp)? I did have a sizing die that wouldn't squeeze the neck enough to grip the bullets. The seating die would pull the bullet back out a little before it released. I think I might have forgotten to lube the case neck on that batch before sizing.:flute:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
G~Man" , I use the Hornaday Factory loading for those FTX 160 gr. bullets >>> 30/30 >>> 28.9 gr's of H~4895 >>> CCI or Wolf primers >>> Rem. cases >>> Case length 2.029" >>> OAL >>> 2.535" >>> send's the bullet out of a 20 inch barrel at >>> 2100 ft. per. sec. loads .

I use them in my Glenfield rifle and my Model 94 Winnie AE I use lee die's and the factory crimp die for crimping the load >>> the group @ about 2 1/2 inches @ a 100 out of both rifles. Never had any trouble with the seating die seating any 30/30 bullets , I've ever ran through it ....

Dave

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
g-Man,
You May Have Accidentally Stumbled On the Perfect Length for Your Gun.
You May be Pleasantly Surprised at How Accurate they Shoot.
I'd be Willing to Bet that the 33gr Load Shoots the Best.
Give 'em a Try. They'll Probably Shoot Great.
UncleSarge58
UncleSarge" have you shot that load your talking about in your rifle" , and if so , How did it group for you @ a 100 yds. ? just wondering , cause , I'd like to tighten those groups up a tad in my two rifles , maybe switching it to LeverEvolution powder ...

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
In My '74 336 JM MG .30-30......30gr LVR Seems to Work Best w/ 170gr Cast RNFP.
(Havn't Nailed it Down Yet) Shot 1in. groups w/ Full Length Barrel.
Still Workin' on Loads since I Cut the Barrel to 17.5in. LVR Powder is Still on the "To Do List"
US58

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
May want to go over setting up your seating die again. Was your die set up for a different press? Does it touch the shell holder when it's all the way up, or slightly off (if you don't want to crimp)? I did have a sizing die that wouldn't squeeze the neck enough to grip the bullets. The seating die would pull the bullet back out a little before it released. I think I might have forgotten to lube the case neck on that batch before sizing.:flute:
It's the lee dead length seating die. I used it to seat the bullets and then the lee FCD to apply the crimp. I turned the die body down until it met the shellholder and then 1/4 turn further. I then started with the seating pin up fairly high and tried it, turned it some more, tried it again, etc. The bullet of course was seated deeper each time and then I got to a point where the seating pin would not adjust down any further, even with some substantial effort to turn it and at that setting is where I got the 2.70 length I ended up with. I could feel some good resistance as I was seating the bullets, so I don't think that it's a neck size issue. I even dropped a bullet on it's nose against the bench from a couple feet up to see if I could get it to set back any, and it wouldn't go. This was before the FCD. I think I'll take the seating die apart and see if there's an issue inside that might be causing it to not adjust all the way down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.