Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally picked up a 989m2. This is just another variant built on the model 60 receiver. This one has two holes on the left rear of the receiver. My first thought was it's been drilled for a peep sight. I have never seen a factory drilled model 60 or any of the other variants built off this receiver, until I started looking at the 989 series. I have seen more of them drilled than not. Like mine, these others show no signs of a receiver sight ever being on it. This one is pre68 so no serial number. Did these come drilled from the factory? I have a spare early receiver and was going to swap it out but now I'm not so sure I should.
Wood Metal

·
Super Moderator
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None of the ones I can find pictures of have those holes...
5 of them on Gunbroker recently. I have noticed this is only on the early non serial numbered receivers, but yet not 100%? None of the serial numbered receivers have this that I have seen. These holes are all in the exact same spot and show no signs of a peep having been there. The filler screws appear factory style. None of the stocks are routed out to make room for a peep. What are the odds that these were all drilled by different gunsmiths, but in the exact same location, never got a sight mounted or stock modified, and all have the same style filler screws?
I also found one at a gunshow this past weekend. These pics are all different guns but all 989's or 989m2's.
Wood Table Hardwood Furniture Plywood
Gun Rifle Firearm Air gun Trigger
Gun Firearm Shotgun Trigger Revolver
Gun Rifle Shotgun Trigger Air gun
Bumper Automotive exterior

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.