Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a line to buy a 2008 JM Original Golden 39A for $399 that is in excellent shap. The only question I have is what are the holes in the upper left of the receiver for and is that normal? Picture attached!

Marlin 39A Receiver.jpeg

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
No they are not all factory holes, the two holes towards the front of the reciever, can't say for certain what they would be for.

Foot in mouth again, they are correct for newer guns. Thanks guys below, for pointing out reality.

·
Super Moderator
15,879 Posts
I have two holes on my 2004 39A, top one is for excess pressure vent, lower one is for visual inspection if there are any rounds left in the magazine. However I'm at work just now and the placement if I recall is different, I'll post a pic when I get home around 2:30 pm. Take a look see and see if them holes line up with the chamber area and mag. If they do...they are stock from Marlin!

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Those ARE normal and factory on a Model 39A of that vintage. They are inspection ports to tell if the rifle is loaded. The lower hole allows you to see the colored magazine follower when the mag tube is empty.

$400 is a good buy on that rifle if it's in the condition you described. Don't let those holes queer the deal.

Roe

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Yes, they are factory. From 1988 to now at least. The top one is to vent the chamber, in the case of a shell rupture. Something that my 1988 39TDS did with some old 22 shells. The lower one is in line with the magazine. You can tell if it is loaded or not.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I had a feeling they were normal but figured I'd asked the experts! I have other pictures and from what I can see it's like new so I agree, it's a great deal! This will be my first 39A and once I know for sure it's mine I'll post up a thread with more pictures and give due credit to the member on here who found it for me and lead me to the dealer in Virginia!

·
Super Moderator
15,879 Posts
hey ..don't feel bad graymustang, Marlins are an on going learning experience, and this site is the perfect place to get good info. I've put my foot there more than once too!! :biggrin: Mr fixit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts