Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking hard for a side-by-side shotgun, ideally in 16 Ga but 20 would do it, too.
BUT, I want it to be:

- Single trigger + barrel selector
- Automatic ejector
- Interchangeable chokes tubes

Can I find this? or do I have to wait for a space shuttle to take me to Mars?

Thanks for your comments.

(I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but have no idea where else to go)

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
So far as I know, the CZ's with a single trigger in a side-by-side would be a Ringneck, but IIRC, it has only extractors - no ejectors. I have the Bobwhite in a 12 Ga. - - double triggers, straight English wrist butt-stock, and extractors (again, no ejectors). I'm pretty happy with that CZ Bobwhite, especially now that I have an aftermarket pad on it and cut about 1/2" off the toe of the butt. Before I did this, that forearm would jump completely out of my left hand. Now the angle of the butt directs less of the recoil upwards, and I am actually able to hang onto that little, scrawny splinter forearm. :biggrin:

Not too familiar with other current production side-by-sides, and I reckon you have some work cut out for you to track them all down via the "net". Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Single trigger and barrel selector are available upgrades on Stoeger SxS shotguns.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
I understand the single trigger preference, the grip is the same for every shot. My wife had SxS for a few years with single trigger and it was best for her. Me.....I like being able to select which choke I'm going to use in the field by touch rather than looking at a selector as a pheasant busts out of the grass.

Never have figured out the ejector preference. Fast reloads aren't necessary most of the time, except maybe in a dove field but usually one is restricted to a max of three rounds in the gun when hunting anyway. It's much easier to keep my empties out of the pheasant fields and not have to bend over to pick up empty hulls on the trap stations with extractors. To each his own.

Sorry for the slight thread drift. My Stoeger SxS is a nice shotgun. Like P-bass said it can be had both ways and with 26" or 28" barrels. At least I believe they still offer two lengths other than the coach gun style.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I understand the single trigger preference, the grip is the same for every shot. My wife had SxS for a few years with single trigger and it was best for her. Me.....I like being able to select which choke I'm going to use in the field by touch rather than looking at a selector as a pheasant busts out of the grass.

Never have figured out the ejector preference. Fast reloads aren't necessary most of the time, except maybe in a dove field but usually one is restricted to a max of three rounds in the gun when hunting anyway. It's much easier to keep my empties out of the pheasant fields and not have to bend over to pick up empty hulls on the trap stations with extractors. To each his own.

Sorry for the slight thread drift. My Stoeger SxS is a nice shotgun. Like P-bass said it can be had both ways and with 26" or 28" barrels. At least I believe they still offer two lengths other than the coach gun style.
Thank you, Jeff, very good comments.

For me, the only must are single-trigger and interchangeable chokes options. I'm lefty and with two triggers, the second feels to be out of the way. As for ejectors or extractors, I think you are right. As for barrel selector seems to be a nice to have in the skeet range, where we play in the club every now and then. Interchangeable chokes tubes give more flexibility and expand the range of use of a 20 Ga, I think.
The two viable (affordable by me) options I see at this point are CZ Ringneck and Stoeger Uplander Supreme, both in 20Ga and 26"Bbl. The first doubles the price of the second, though. How they do compare?

Thanks to all for your comments.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Have a CZ Bobwhite 20, choke tubes, double triggers. Have a Bobwhite 16 gauge, fixed 26 inch IC&M, double triggers. Bobwhites are straight stocked (English style), all double triggers, 12 &20 have choke tubes. Very solid field guns, nothing special. CZ uses different frame sizes, specific to gauge

Have a Ringneck 12 gauge, rounded pistol grip stock, single trigger, safety barrel select, choke tubes. This one I fitted with sling swivels and rifle sights is my go to shotgun, mostly used for deer drives. Ringnecks have the features you mention.

For the money a very good field gun, allowed my Ithaca SXSs to retire.

Reactions: Kaweskar

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I would look for an SKB 200 or 280. They are no longer made, but not hard to find. They have a single trigger and ejectors. You can have choke tubes added for just a little $ by any number of reputable places. The CZ shotguns are nice, but not the equal of an SKB. And the stogers, while serviceable, aren't even close to the same league. I will, however, throw out what I find most important in a shotgun: FIT! You really have to handle a shotgun before you buy. Shotgunning is just too dynamic for a poorly fitted gun. Stock drop, cast, barrel length, weight, balance point and other factors are personal. What fits most may not fit you...especially as a lefty.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Picked up this NIB CZ Ringneck in 20 gauge for a song at an auction. Has the ST and tubes, but extractors, not ejectors. It's made in Turkey (Huglu) for CZ. Nice little gun for the money. Most places sell these for $900 plus. Haven't shot it, yet, though.

Otherwise, you might try looking for a used 90s vintage SKB SxS if you want choke tubes, but you'll likely pay more than $900 and that's IF you can find one. Most of the SKBs floating around on the market are earlier guns without tubes. If you want a two barreled gun with tubes, you have a lot more options with an OU.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would look for an SKB 200 or 280. They are no longer made, but not hard to find. They have a single trigger and ejectors. You can have choke tubes added for just a little $ by any number of reputable places. The CZ shotguns are nice, but not the equal of an SKB. And the stogers, while serviceable, aren't even close to the same league. I will, however, throw out what I find most important in a shotgun: FIT! You really have to handle a shotgun before you buy. Shotgunning is just too dynamic for a poorly fitted gun. Stock drop, cast, barrel length, weight, balance point and other factors are personal. What fits most may not fit you...especially as a lefty.
You are very right on importance of FIT. And that is my curse, specially being left-handed shooter, because in this country where I live, you have to buy what is there, and not many options available; and second, you have to pay first and shoot later, unless you buy from a friend. For me buying guns is always a gamble. This is one of the reason why I grew fonded with Marlin levers ... they all fit me! :biggrin:
Thanks a lot for your advice on the SKBs, I will look for them.

Cheers

Reactions: vrkar10

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
Dad had one of these for a few years: RBL Reserve

And liked it very much, but interestingly, not as much as he liked his CZ for roughly 1/4 the price...

My only side by side is an Ithaca (SKB) 200-E from the 1970's. I still hunt upland game with it. It's still tight and still looks good. The Japanese can make one heck of a gun.

Guy

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked up this NIB CZ Ringneck in 20 gauge for a song at an auction. Has the ST and tubes, but extractors, not ejectors. It's made in Turkey (Huglu) for CZ. Nice little gun for the money. Most places sell these for $900 plus. Haven't shot it, yet, though.

Otherwise, you might try looking for a used 90s vintage SKB SxS if you want choke tubes, but you'll likely pay more than $900 and that's IF you can find one. Most of the SKBs floating around on the market are earlier guns without tubes. If you want a two barreled gun with tubes, you have a lot more options with an OU.

Thanks a lot and congrats for your new gun. Let me know how it shoots when you can.
I'm very stubborn, I want a SS. I have fixed in my mind an old SS shotgun my grandad had. I never saw it again growing up and my mom says he got rid of all his guns when I was very little and he was having some financial troubles. Too bad, that would've been a nice to have item. At least I got his Army sabers and swords.

Cheers

Reactions: RB Rider

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Been looking' for a nice 20GA SKB for years to go with the 12GA, like a needle in a haystack.

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
Been looking' for a nice 20GA SKB for years to go with the 12GA, like a needle in a haystack.
Keep yer doggone mitts off my 20 ga SKB then! :biggrin:

It is a nice one... Had it since hmm, about 1970 I believe. IC/Mod, 26" tubes. All original, nice finish. Used for ducks a few times in the 1970's and 1980's, but it's mostly been a fair weather pheasant, quail & partridge gun.

Guy

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'm a lefty too and fit can be tough. My best bet is a gun with no cast or a modern semiauto with shim adjustable stock.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Thanks a lot and congrats for your new gun. Let me know how it shoots when you can.
I'm very stubborn, I want a SS. I have fixed in my mind an old SS shotgun my grandad had. I never saw it again growing up and my mom says he got rid of all his guns when I was very little and he was having some financial troubles. Too bad, that would've been a nice to have item. At least I got his Army sabers and swords.

Cheers
Thanks.

If you can skip the choke tubes, you'll have a lot more options when it comes to shopping for a used sxs. Be a shame to pass up a good Japanese made side by side like an SKB pr Miroku because it didn't have tubes. Best of luck in your search!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
image.jpg image.jpg You mentioned another one of my favorites, the Miroku 500. Mine isn't what Kaweskar is lookin for because it has fixed IC/M chokes, extractors and double triggers. I did shoot a 22 at skeet this weekend with it...left handed.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
SKB SxS have been sold under various trade names to include Ithaca, Charles Daly and a couple other names I forget. So if looking for one, look under these names as well, frequently they go for less money cuz people don't know what they are, but are the same gun. SKB closed down their factory in 2010 and sold off the trade name and drawings sort of like Marlin. Many SKB guns have painted on wood grain, so as a rule don't refinish well unless a person is good at painting on fake grain. A good SKB/Ithaca model 100 or 120 (blued receiver) usually go for about 800 for a twelve and close to a grand for a twenty, which is less than a Browning BSS. The 200 series with chromed reciever are more. All SxS 12 gauge are 2 3/4 inch while the 20 is three inch.

My sporing clay and grouse gun is SKB Ithaca 20ga Model 120, and is my most valued gun.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts