Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not familair with the 39a and wondering if buying a new one would be a solid buy

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
I would try and find one prior to 2006 and you should be safe. I would shy away from the new one but that is just me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Horryleverman said:
not familair with the 39a and wondering if buying a new one would be a solid buy
Hi I bought one last month and am very happy with it. I had a heck of a time finding one in my area. Shoots good no problems and I put a Williams peep on it. No FTF or FE and very accurate also no worries about buying someone else's problems.I would do it again, but then again I'm a notorious "goof" ;), Regards, Mike

·
Registered
226 Posts
Horryleverman said:
Just what did you expect posters on the Marlin Rimfire page to say? Sounds like you're looking for justification. Otherwise, your not much of a detective.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well sport,I wouldn't buy a remington made 336 and just curious if the
39a was just as shoddy. It seems that some people think they are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jayhawkhuntclub said:
Just what did you expect posters on the Marlin Rimfire page to say? Sounds like you're looking for justification. Otherwise, your not much of a detective.
Hi, if I came to the Marlin Rimfire page and saw the pages and pages of discussion on extraction problems I would have never bought one. Lucky for me I bought one first. After seeing those posts I ran out into the snow to test fire my new 39a. Happy to say no problems.$600 is alot to spend on a 22 rifle. All the salesmen tried to sell me a Henry. I'm happy with my Marlin. :) Regards, Mike

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I don't like the rebounding hammer and the safety on the new guns, so if I was buying a 39, I'd be looking for one that was pre-safety.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Horryleverman said:
Well sport,I wouldn't buy a remington made 336 and just curious if the
39a was just as shoddy. It seems that some people think they are.
Hi, has Remington made any 39a's yet? Will they be marked Remington anywhere. I pretty sure mine was a left over as everything is marked Marlin. Just wondering, forgot all about Remington. When I was searching for my rifle I sent Remington an E-mail asking if they will still be made.They responded "yes, but we don't know when they will be available". Regards, Mike

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Halwg said:
I don't like the rebounding hammer and the safety on the new guns, so if I was buying a 39, I'd be looking for one that was pre-safety.
10 minutes and a hacksaw will fix that rebounding hammer...

·
Registered
711 Posts
I love my 2008. I did have the extractor break at the tip after several hundred rounds fired, and replaced it with a Wisner's.
The action and trigger were a little stiff new, but not terrible. I cycled the action while watching TV, probably a couple thousand times. I then took it all apart and stoned and polished all the areas that showed any wear, and stoned any rough edges. Smooth as silk now. I went after the trigger next, and after just a few strokes of the stone on the sear and hammer I had a crisp 2# break. Stock iron sights were replaced with XS ghost rings with Williams aperture. Last I refinished the stock with Tru-Oil, sanding off the checkering in the process. I think I have achieved the perfect "new" 39A.

None of these things I did were really a must, I just like to tweak my rifles.
Oh, and it'll shoot the wings off a fly at 50 ;D

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Yes! The two that are here in our home are a few years old and just fine shooting rifles.

Catherine

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Uncle Mike said:
Hi, has Remington made any 39a's yet? Will they be marked Remington anywhere. I pretty sure mine was a left over as everything is marked Marlin. Just wondering, forgot all about Remington. When I was searching for my rifle I sent Remington an E-mail asking if they will still be made.They responded "yes, but we don't know when they will be available". Regards, Mike

I dont know either. Thats what I was wondering about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts