Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are "Texans" Common?

Was the straight stocked version of the 336 RC common? Seems quite a few members here own them but I rarely see Texans in my travels? Were they produced in .32 Special or only .30-30 and .35?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,903 Posts
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

Not sure but I have only seen two up here in Northern NY while checking out the local gun shops. I bought one and the other is owned by my freind from WV. All the other 336s I have seen have had pistol grips.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,038 Posts
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

When my wife bought mine (for Christmas, ;D ) nthe pawn shop had two of them. I would like to get two more to pass down to my grandsons.If I buy any more Marlins, I will look for the "texan" as I prefer the straight stocks on lever guns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

Spotted one recently, an early to mid-sixties RC in .30-30, at a local gun peddler. Condition was decent -mostly handling marks in the wood - Priced at $350. Left it there since I've been spending a little too much lately but starting to rethink it. The first one i've come across and I don't yet own a .30-30. Bet a little TLC would do her some good. Those straight stocked guns are kinda classy looking! 8)

One in .32 would be a cool find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,558 Posts
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

I have no idea how many were produced, but I run across one every now and again. They sure have a certain appeal to me also, and I have just had to bring a few to the house. Two in 30-30 and one re-bored to 38-55.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

Well, couldn't resist. Went back to the shop and it turned out to be a "68" Saddle Ring Carbine with straight stock. Very good shape 90-95% with minor handling marks in the wood and a few minor rust spots around the elevator sight that should clean up nicely. Still has hammer spur and sight hood. Round lever and brass saddle ring. Very fine gun but price was $384. Is that fair or too high? ???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

Littlemarlin said:
Well, couldn't resist. Went back to the shop and it turned out to be a "68" Saddle Ring Carbine with straight stock. Very good shape 90-95% with minor handling marks in the wood and a few minor rust spots around the elevator sight that should clean up nicely. Still has hammer spur and sight hood. Round lever and brass saddle ring. Very fine gun but price was $384. Is that fair or too high? ???
Based on your discription, that sounds like a fair price and in some areas the Texans have been going in the $425 t0 $500 range depending on condition and caliber. Seems the .35 Rems tend to draw a litte more $$$s. I am not sure they made the "Texans" in .32 Win. I don't think they did, but I may be wrong. The sticky on "Marlin's Texans" at the top of the 339 section doesn't reference any .32 Win Texans being made. ;)
CJ
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,576 Posts
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

Nice find. That's about the going rate for one around here. Lets see some pics.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

That's a little high for here in TN. I bought my '68 Texan with the saddle ring last year for $275. It had a period Weaver scope on it. I since bought a '75 Texan for $170 but it needed a buttstock. I sold that one to a friend that had been looking for one. There is currently a Westernfield version of the Texan for sale locally for $250. It has the rounded lever (vs square) like my '68 although I don't know the serial # to date it. On the other hand, I don't see them often for sale but they do show up. The price will reflect your local area also. $384 may be a good price for your area especially if they don't show up often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

I appreciate the feedback guys. Not sure I have it in me to let this one get away, even if the price is high. It will be my first .30-30!

Never cared for the straight stocked guns much but hanging around here (MO) has really sparked an interest in these. Spending time on this site certainly does contribute to my financial plight.

Anyway, I'm tall, so the length of pull is a little short but I'm still enamored with these little straight stocked carbines. The saddle ring really adds to it's character. Cool gun! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

If I seen that in my area I would not let it go. I have only seen I used one (texan) over the years and I bought it. Gave a little under $300 for it and needed some cleaning up. I would buy another if it showed up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,050 Posts
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

Littlemarlin said:
Was the straight stocked version of the 336 RC common? Seems quite a few members here own them but I rarely see Texans in my travels? Were they produced in .32 Special or only .30-30 and .35?
Here is a link to our "Texan" History tread. Lots of good info and great pictures. MO esteemed member Ranch Dog did a great deal of work compiling the numerous "Texan" 336 variations for the tread. Now as to rare...some are and some are not so much. All are sought after because they are quick handeling and harken back to older models (1893,1897's, ect.) IMHO. I would have to say they are most definitively not "common" though. ;D

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,59739.0.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,753 Posts
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

Lonnie said:
That's a little high for here in TN. I bought my '68 Texan with the saddle ring last year for $275. It had a period Weaver scope on it. I since bought a '75 Texan for $170 but it needed a buttstock. I sold that one to a friend that had been looking for one. There is currently a Westernfield version of the Texan for sale locally for $250. It has the rounded lever (vs square) like my '68 although I don't know the serial # to date it. On the other hand, I don't see them often for sale but they do show up. The price will reflect your local area also. $384 may be a good price for your area especially if they don't show up often.
I am also in Middle TN. and have never seen a Texan or a Marauder for sale here or in North AL. Not many 35's either.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

CJ-5, I sent you an e-mail with links to the local website I use here to buy most of my guns off of. On there you will find the Westernfield version of a Texan and a pistol grip .35 for sale as well as other Marlins. Hope that helps you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

CJ-5, I also sent you a PM with the same info. Please let me know if you receive it or the e-mail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

Greenhorn said:
I would have to say they are most definitively not "common" though. ;D
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,59739.0.html
It would be interesting to know how they were produced at Marlin. Would there be a constant run of them during the production year or are they put together, here and there, while focusing on top selling pistol-grip version?

Came across this fun and interesting Fadala article, that many of you have probably seen, regarding the Texan. The quote about the demise of the Texan "due to lagging sales" and customers demanding pistol grip versions "by a 10 to 1 Margin" was interesting. Funny how consumer interest changes over time! :D

http://www.gundigest.com/article/littlemartin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

I've seen 2 around here in 4 mos. FYI, there is a 3030 on another sight in Beaumont, Tx.
A .35 in a T would be nice to see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,666 Posts
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

Not very many around here but if I drive down to Texas they are very common. ;D ;D ;D Sorry, I had too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,090 Posts
Re: Are "Texans" Common?

janott said:
Not very many around here but if I drive down to Texas they are very common. ;D ;D ;D Sorry, I had too.
Good Lord, I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later ;D

I havn't had my claws on a straight grip double .30, I been looking for one at pawn shops and gun swaps for a couple years now. I would call 'em uncommon for me. .DT
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top