Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody had one with pretty fancy wood and sold it for $850, so he said. Are the JM's going up in price? Dave Petzel says lever actions are losing popularity so that doesn't really jive. The interest in tactical firearms could be a reason.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I believe what guns sell for depend on supply and demand in a given area. Some members of this Forum report there are not a lot of Marlins in their area and can only rely on trade-ins at a LGS in their area.

In central PA there are still quite a bit of lever guns for sale, but I have noticed that the ones in good to excellent condition have been going for higher prices. Personally, I have never seen some of the value prices that other members Post that they bought rifles in Pawn Shops. I have never seen a Pawn Shop in my area with any kind of guns.

I have been relying on Estate Sales for the rifles I have bought this year, except one that was a private sale. I keep checking prices on Gunbroker.com and I don't see much of a difference in prices.

Don't rely on one source, shop around.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I saw one listed on Midwest gun trader a week or so ago. The guy must have been on crack or something. It was a Remlin and he stated, "LNIB this is the one all the collectors are looking for" and I think he was asking $1000 for it. I almost spit my coffee on my computer I laughed so hard. So to answer your question, if you ask him they are lol.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
For me, I don't mind paying a little more for a weapon that I know has been well cared for as for pawn shop rifles $350.00 would be about the most I would pay for a 336.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Ha Ha what people are asking for and what they can get for it are two different issues. There was a guy at a Gun Show I went to a couple weeks ago that had a Remlin 30-30 that had been fired but looked new and was asking $465 for it. The checkiering was a mess, but the rest of the gun was OK. Not interested and certainly not at that price. With Remlin, maybe not at any price. I have a bad taste in my mouth for Remington.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I think it really depends on which model. The more rare models will be more of the money makers, such as a waffle top, or marauder etc. Personally I dont see the average JM 336 going up beyond $500 (good used condition, unfired/NIB is another story) anytime soon.

I recently got curious and I compared the old prices for a Marlin 336 and plugged them into an inflation calculator.... Pretty interesting results.

In 1957 a 336 SC, 219 zipper, C and Texan were $76.95 (according to this ad)

So $76.95 in 1957 is equivalent of $647.07 in 2014! Kind of hard to believe! So yes, prices have been going up. But after considering inflation, have they really gone up that much?

To me, it says something about the quality of the Marlin product in the 1950's, compared to the $400-500 brand new remlins being made today.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Depends on where you are I guess. In my immediate area lever guns are still pretty popular with the older local hunters so prices average between $325 - $400+ depending on caliber. Winchesters usually get priced higher and are more collectible, but Marlins are the ones that sell. Sadly, I have to admit that the average hunter I talk to in a few of the shops isn't even aware that Marlin got bought by Remington, and therefore doesn't know what to look for. They just know they like the size and convenience of lever guns.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Depends on where you are I guess. In my immediate area lever guns are still pretty popular with the older local hunters so prices average between $325 - $400+ depending on caliber. Winchesters usually get priced higher and are more collectible, but Marlins are the ones that sell. Sadly, I have to admit that the average hunter I talk to in a few of the shops isn't even aware that Marlin got bought by Remington, and therefore doesn't know what to look for. They just know they like the size and convenience of lever guns.
Most of the gun dealers in my area know whats going on with Marlin. There wasn't one Vendor at the Gun Show I went too 2 weeks ago that knew anything about Remington buying out Marlin. There were also Vendors that knew just about NOTHING about Marlins and how to price them. I did manage to buy accessories and ammo I was hunting around for locally.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I would say they are probably just a little more than they were a year or two ago but not that much!!! I've seen them around here for anywhere from $300-450!!!

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
Guns and ammo in general have been going up in price over the last few years. JM Marlins, older Savages and Winchester levers are gaining in collector/shooter popularity due to interest in everything from "The Good Old Days" . Like my old grandad used to say about buying land- "They don't make it no more....."

·
Registered
970 Posts
We all know Econ 101: price is determined by supply and demand. OK. But the impact of Remington's assassination of the Marlin brand has yet to kick in hard. Marlin fell on its knees with the concession to the gov't with the cross bolt safety. Most shooters will say that didn't change performance of the fine rifles. But it did. A company who manufactured classic American firearms fell to the tyranny of government. Every time you look at that cross bolt safety there is bitterness in the hearts of many people. So a pre-cross bolt safety rifle is certainly worth more to them than those with it. Time will tell how much of a difference. Lastly, Remington is turning the Marlin brand into the Yugo of rifles. You can't replace quality craftsmanship with a fix-it warranty. The desirable Marlin rifles of yesteryear will only increase in value as time goes by. Yeah, there is a large supply of ordinary Marlins out there, but the truly unique rifles of years past are being made no more. As that reality sinks in, the best prices are yet to come.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I attended the big Tulsa Gun show while in the US earlier this month. Thought I would buy myself a nice JM Marlin as a memento of the visit. Spent 2 x days looking for a Standard (not cowboy) 1894 in .357 mag. One guy wanted $1600 for for an as new example (no box) and thought he would get it. Actually found private sellers wanted high prices across the board compared to previous visits.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Swany took the words right out of my mouth. In my neck of the woods a shooter is about 350 and a nice 336 runs around 400-450. It still amazes me as to how many people who have hunted have never heard of a 35 rem. Its pretty rare to find someone in his twenties or even thirties that has heard of a 35 rem.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
As to Blackberry's Post which included his thoughts on the cross bolt safety. All my Marlins are Pre-cross bolt safety vintage. I had an opportunity to look over a nice JM 336 in 99.5% condition. It worked well and I can understand why Lawyers wanted them on rifles. Our state game commission trainers said the Winchester and Marlin half-cock safety is no safety at all. They said during the Hunter Safety Training that if a round had been chambered, the rifle is half-cocked leaning up against something, slides and hits the ground, the rifle will go off.

The cross bolt safety does not have to be used. The rifle I handled also had half-cock. So, what's the big deal? That cross bolt safety would not stop me from buying that gun if I wanted it.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
In general, the answer is yes, but the general answer needs to be tailored to different locales, and the awareness of sellers regarding the item they have and the buyers of what they're buying. Knowledgable buyers can still find good deals, but that's a personal valuation.
I my mind, I value a pre-microgroove gun from 1936 through what..1955... in very good condition much higher than a later JM gun, and can often be had for less. Remlins? No comment .. you're on your own.

When I really get lucky, I'll find a long barrelled "A" model unmolested and immaculate shape for around $300.... square bolt or round, they should go for more than the new XLRs...

Again, it's all in what you value, and I value old school quality, like Grandad carried.
Yep, you guessed it... I cook in dutch ovens and cast iron skillets too!!! (Drives the wife nuts!)

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I can't speak for the rest of the country but I hit quite a few gun shops, pawn shops and yard and estate sales around Kansas City, Missouri and on over to Topeka, Kansas just because I drive back and forth a lot and can't go past a gun store or yard sale sign once I notice it without at least stopping to browse.

What I've seen is that about 3 years ago, used (JM) Marlins were running about $300 to $350 in the stores and private sellers were in the $200 to $350 range. Didn't much matter if they were "new used" or "old used", scoped or unscoped. That's just what they usually had on the tag. If it had been there a while or if you could point out a legitimate defect while flashing a stack of bills you could usually get them to come down about $50 "out the door". Now, those same shops are pricing the same grade of used guns in the $450 to $500 range and they ARE aware of the demand for JM guns because they will be priced about $20 to $50 more than a used remlin sitting right next to it. They also commonly print a big "JM" in plain view on the tag. I expect that come fall and hunting season, I'll regularly see prices closer to $550 or $575 than to $450 or $475.

Then what about them cowboys eh? Can't touch most of them for under about $750 and the more desirable ones are constantly going for $1,000 a pop or more. '94s in 357? Whooo boy!. Stainless steel? XLR's, Limiteds? Whoooeeee, better bring a hefty check book. Heck, new Remlins are priced like high end bolt guns seems like but honestly, I can spot one of them from about 50 ft and just walk on by without even looking most of the time. Want a vintage gun like a waffletop that's not drilled or something older like an 1893? I can't afford 'em. I'd love to have a nice 1897 model 22 but they can't be found under a grand most of the time any more. Heck, can't hardly find a 39A for under $500 and the Cabela's here in KC has one with a G prefix (I think) in real nice but not amazingly good condition and they have it in the cabinet in the gun library with a price tag of $899 on it!! I own two that I bought in the last year and a half. One is a 1947 with a cracked wrist that I got at an estate sale for $250 and felt like I stole it. The other is a 1964 that was at the exact same Cabelas and appeared to be as new, unfired and they had it for something like $395 and I jumped on it like Rosie Odonnel on a French fry. So, yea, deals can still be found but a guy has to be ready to jump "right now" to take advantage of 'em because if you don't jump, the guy standing behind you probably will.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Most of the gun dealers in my area know whats going on with Marlin. There wasn't one Vendor at the Gun Show I went too 2 weeks ago that knew anything about Remington buying out Marlin. There were also Vendors that knew just about NOTHING about Marlins and how to price them. I did manage to buy accessories and ammo I was hunting around for locally.

Mike T.
Hope ya didn't educate them...

Reactions: miket156
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.