Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are striker fired, specifically glocks safe to carry and holster with one in the chamber? What do you say?

·
Registered
11,566 Posts
:dito:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Glocks are designed to go bang when the trigger is pulled and only then. Their system includes three safeties that require no action on your part other than pulling the trigger. There is the initial trigger safety which must be pulled before the trigger will move, a firing pin (striker) block and a drop safety which are engaged automatically when the trigger is released and disengaged when the trigger is pulled. I have no qualms about carrying AIWB. I DO LOOK when I am reholstering to be sure nothing will catch on the trigger. I also switch my grip so my index finger is with the rest on the grip when reholstering. Guns with manual safeties may not fire when you need them to. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Guns in proper working condition don't fire unless the trigger is pulled so in that respect a Glock is as safe as any firearm. Personally, it seems that the Glock trigger is pulled somewhat more freequently than intended resulting in ventilated Glock owners. I am old school and have seen the elephant so mechanical safeties and single action mechanisims are my friend.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an xdm that I absolutely love. Just trying to settle a debate. I think glocks are awesome. They don't fit my hands right but I believe they are a most wonderful gun.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Glocks are Very Safe! ............They are Only as Safe as the Guy carrying them!

Good gun handler, Very safe..... Knucklehead, Very Unsafe.

BloodGroove4570

·
Super Moderator
6,561 Posts
^^^^what everyone else said. They are safe in terms of inherent mechanical safety. The trigger, when pulled, makes it go bang, regardless of anything else.

Beyond that it os preference. I prefer a manual safety on semiautos. Whats more, I prefer the 1911 placement...on the frame, just above the grip, DOWN to fire......as opposed to, say a Beretta, located up on the slide, UP to fire.

Thumb down to fire is more like what you do when making a fist....and making a fist is what you do when scared...so it seems more natural to me to position a manual safety where it would line up ergonomically while making a fist.

But again, that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
956 Posts
To me carrying a firearm without a round chambered would be useless. I carry a glock with one chambered every day. Was carrying a 26 then went to the larger 19. They are no more dangerous than any other holstered pistol.

I have also heard the arguments against carrying a glock appendix carry. I carry mine this way all the time. I haven't seen the problem with it yet. I practice frequently and always am mindful when reholstering. I have to remove it alot because of work. 80%-90% of the time i am removing the pistol holster and all. And re putting it on my belt whie holstered.

As far as safety, I guess that is something each person has to decide for themselves. Some are fine with anything and some must have the "safest" possible firearm they can buy. All a matter of person preferance.

Kinda like vehicles. Some buy the safest they can with airbags everywhere and others are happy with no airbags, don't wear their seatbelts, and drive way over the limit.

This is just my views. Not everyone will agree.

Reactions: etexoldguy

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
They are as effectively safe as the effectiveness of the safety located between the ears of the shooter...

For me... 1911's - - carried Condition 1... Glocks, S&W M&P's, Springfield XD Series - - all are carried in an effective Condition 1 as well... When commonly carried in this manner, deployed and presented from this condition, and practicing accordingly, these handguns are all only as safe as the mind-set and muscle memory of the person employing them. The best safety for any firearm isn't necessarily the mechanical features of the particular firearm, but the human brain.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Glocks are only as safe as the person handling them, some people can shoot themselves with firearms that have 10 safety's!

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Glocks are Very Safe! ............They are Only as Safe as the Guy carrying them!

Good gun handler, Very safe..... Knucklehead, Very Unsafe.

BloodGroove4570
this is true with any firearm (and other mechanical devices of any type)

·
Banned
766 Posts
Not safe enough for me. I have a glock and an XD, and I can't get comfortable with them to carry. I want visual confirmation that the gun's safety is activated, or that the trigger pull is strong enough to give a fraction of a seconds hesitation. I pretty much only carry revolvers or my Sig with the decocker.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts