Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AR-15 is a better rifle in terms of hunting and sport shooting. Several Gun Builders have opted to personalize such guns for a better experience. They use a bunch of accessories to do the necessary process. Components such as lights, sights, slings, etc. can be changed according to our own. It is a perfect gun for those who are new to firearms.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I think the AR15 can be a viable hunting rifle, better, well that would be a personal choice. I realize the 5.56 is a capable round with proper bullets i just prefer calibers that start with "4".

The platform is certainly user friendly and customizable but so are Marlins! Enjoy the forum kristianroger.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I’m becoming a fan of the platform for hunting. I’ve built several 450 Bushmaster and 350 Legend rifles strictly for deer hunting. For varmints and predator hunts the AR is hard to beat. When someone asks I explain it’s like the new version of a TC contender/encore concept where the user can make the same gun fit multiple needs.

·
Super Moderator
23,779 Posts
Haven't used the AR-15 yet for hunting but I have successfully used an AR-10.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I bought a 450 Bushmaster upper when they were on sale and it has proven to be an excellent choice for the heavily timbered land here in Western Wisconsin. Use an EO Tech 512 or a Leupold 1 - 4 pig plex scope depending on my mood. Both re-attach to the picatinny rail and maintain adequate zero out to 100 yards (a long shot here). Have used .224 70 grain Hornady GMX successfully on whitetail in a 1 in 7 twist upper. Am personally skeptical when it comes to lighter bullets in in 223 caliber rifles for whitetail, that's my personal opinion and I have friends who use 55 grain bullets successfully. Just call me conservative!

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
I bought a 450 Bushmaster upper when they were on sale and it has proven to be an excellent choice for the heavily timbered land here in Western Wisconsin. Use an EO Tech 512 or a Leupold 1 - 4 pig plex scope depending on my mood. Both re-attach to the picatinny rail and maintain adequate zero out to 100 yards (a long shot here). Have used .224 70 grain Hornady GMX successfully on whitetail in a 1 in 7 twist upper. Am personally skeptical when it comes to lighter bullets in in 223 caliber rifles for whitetail, that's my personal opinion and I have friends who use 55 grain bullets successfully. Just call me conservative!
I also built a 450 Bushmaster and enjoy shooting it. I put a red dot on mine. Not many shots 100 yrds. or longer around here either. I reload so ammo cost is not a problem

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
When you ask about whether an QR-15 is better for hunting and sport shooting than other rifles, you are only asking about a platform. "AR-15" refers only to the design and action type. Kinda like asking, "is a Chevy good for hauling bricks and taking the family on vacations?".

Just as there are many different Chevrolets for different purposes, there are many different calibers and forms of AR-15s for different purposes.

The AR-15 is the preferred platform for long range target shooting in various calibers, It is also the preferred platform for competition in many shooting sports. Superbly accurate AR-15s are often the base for building long range varmint rifles. And the AR is one of the best choices for hunting feral hogs, particularly at night.

I hope I'm wrong, but do I detect a little scepticism in your question that the AR-15 is useful or necessary for any legitimate hunting and sporting applications? Even a cursory search will show dozens of uses of the AR platform for the applications you ask about.

The functions of the AR--auto loading, calibers, magazine exchangs/magazine capacity--are all available in sleeker looking fire arms with traditional wooden stocks. The ergonomics, caliber exchange flexibility, modular design, ruggedness, and accuracy potential are not. Weapons designed for the militaries of the world have all found their ways into civilian applications. This is a result of their familiarity with service men and women, and the availability of arms and parts rotated out of service. The AR-15 was designed in 1956 by Eugene Stoner. That makes it a 64 year old design.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
To me persoally, the AR platform has the appeal of a circular saw.The saw does its job well , but it doesn't have the natural appeal of a nice wood and steel rifle. Same thing with an AR, It works fine, but I will never sit around in the dead of winter admiring its lines and pretty wood as I clean it. I had to qualify every year with an AR, and never liked the way it felt and I hated the big "BOING" of the main spring in my ear. I have nothing against them, and I hope they stay around, but they just don't make my turkey gobble.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,924 Posts
Tool, art, or both? I say both! The engineering that went into the AR makes it an art unto its self. The tool has been proven to the point over a half a century it has been our military rifle through the slight changes through the decads.

AC

·
Registered
789 Posts
Definitely. I have a good friend who took a Missouri whitetail or two every year with good 77-grain expanding ammunition in his AR. 6.5 Grendel is also a suitable round for Eastern hunting, to say nothing of the big-bore chamberings.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Did someone say trout? Could be, kinda fishy. Who says AR 15, and with a gap? Why a Marlin, (who make no AR types), forum? Perhaps Mr Roger, who needs a little help with his English, would be good enough to explain?

Quote 'They use a bunch of accessories to do the necessary process. Components such as lights, sights, slings, etc. can be changed according to our own.'

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Anyone else notice that the OP has been banned?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well damn!!!!!!!!! Anyhow I don't like his rifle but I do like his Buck Knife. Just something about walking into the hunting cabin and seeing the wall lined with rifles from star wars that is just wrong.

Reactions: Drm50

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Looks like the venerable Buck 119, a classic. I have 2 of them and a few of their 110 Folding Hunters.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts