Marlin Firearms Forum banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Got this 11 point at 8AM on 10-13-12. My left hand is holding a drop tine. This one and an 8 point came in together. The 8 was also a really nice deer. I told myself if either one gave me a shot then thats the one. This one gave me a 25 yard broadside shot. Only went 50 yards. Next morning buddy of mine got a nice 10. It was a good weekend!!!

IMG_0999.JPG IMG_1013.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: chipD

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
This one was taken by my brother with a crossbow in PA. It was shot out of his treestand at 3 yards, ran about 50 and piled up. Was shot about 4:40 pm on 11-5-2012

·
Premium Member
5,059 Posts
Congrats arrowDodger, that sure looks like a great place to hunt you're at! Love them old Razorheads, killed a bunch with the 145grainers as a 2 blade! .DT

·
Registered
575 Posts
This isn't my deer, but
My buddy shot this 260lb moose of a white tail this past October back home in Ohio.
He measured around 170-180 I think he said

franks moose.JPG

·
Registered
575 Posts
Got my first archery kill on the morning of the 30th in Tuscarawas County Ohio.

22 yard, broad side at first light, she ran about 25 yards. Hit her with a 150gr Slick Trick using a 10 Point Stealth X-2.

(The arrow penetrated more than the picture shows, I had just attempted to remove it)
photo-1.JPG

Reactions: dhansen

·
Registered
575 Posts
photo.JPG
Got meat deer #2 yesterday morning. Gotta love helping out the farmers with their deer problem, because they're helping me out with my hunting problem.
This one came snorting and running in from my left (a house cat startled it lol) and stopped in front of me at 37 yards facing away from me, about to head down the hill, so I put my arrow in the base of the neck. No tracking needed. I wouldn't recommend this shot unless you're confident with your skills and equipment. The arrow severed the spine and carotid artery. "Twang Flop" (Bow version of bang flop)
I waved to the cat and said thanks for the drive.

Reactions: RB Rider

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
image-2650202288.jpg

image-2746319577.jpg

Dropped this one tonite at about 6:50pm. He ain't huge but he'll eat good. :) I love bowhunting!

10yds, broadside, workin a lickin branch when I shot him, only went about 40yds after the shot. Perfect double lung, complete pass through.

Mathews Q2, G5 optixs xr2 sight (highly recommended), Scott release, Easton Full Metal Jackets (also highly recommended) with Rage chisel tip 3 blade broadheads.

Reactions: RB Rider

·
Registered
187 Posts
Earlier this summer I noticed that there were leftover antlerless elk licenses for the limited quota unit in WY that I grew up hunting when lucky enough to draw a license. My parents bought me the expensive non-resident license as a gift since my dad also has a license for that unit. I have been an on again off again bowhunter for the past several years depending on how much walleye fishing I do during the summer and how much or how little archery practice I get in due to the walleye fishing. I always hunt with a rifle but I have sat out some archery seasons because I didn't put in enough practice time with my bow. This year I vowed to practice a lot and to bowhunt again. I thought what better incentive to make sure I hunt with a bow this year than to buy a new Hoyt Charger? I bought it back in May and got it all set up and tuned at the local pro shop. I also switched to heavier Gold Tip Kinetic arrows. This setup shoots large fixed blade broadheads (Magnus Buzzcuts) better than any other setup I have had. Actually, it didn't matter which broadheads I shot (NAP Hellrazors, Muzzy 3 blade, Magnus Stingers) as they all shot well. I went with the Buzzcuts and they were hitting true and with my field points out to 50 yards.

I spent two unsuccessful days bowhunting in early September. The elk were not talking at all but I was in a good area as there was quite a bit of really fresh sign. I didn't want to work the thick north facing timber too much where I figured they were holed up as it was a fairly small patch of timber above a drainage and I didn't want to spook them out of the area. I tried some setups along well used game trails leading to and from the timber. I used a decoy and tried some blind calling with no luck.

I went back two weeks later, on Sept. 20, just for a day hunt thinking that I could at least get some scouting done to spend 4 consecutive days the following week hunting elk. It ended up being one of those days where almost (shot placement could have been better) everything went right and I just happened to make a good decision in where to start the day's hunt. I left the truck shortly after legal shooting light and crossed the creek and climbed the ridge above the creek. Right away I heard cracking sounds in the timber to the east. The squirrels are always busy and noisy this time of year and I have been fooled by them a lot in the past when they are knocking the pine cones out of the trees. I stopped and listened and cow called for a few minutes. I decided to move on in the opposite direction per my original plan and work toward a drainage that I had a game camera in. About 15 minutes later, I could hear more loud popping in the timber below me, down along the creek. It seemed way too loud to be a squirrel but it didn't really seem to change location. I set up again and did some more cow calling. I would periodically hear the popping/cracking down in the timber but it always seemed to be in the same spot and not moving. I figured it was a noisy squirrel busy getting ready for winter and I decided to move on. I started dropping down the ridge toward the bottom of the drainage when I heard more and louder popping and cracking. I was now certain it was not a squirrel but was not entirely convinced it was elk since there are also cattle in the area. As loud as the noise was, I was expecting it to be cattle moving through. I started cow calling but didn't get any responses. I slowly worked my way farther down the ridge until it sounded like I was just above the animal(s) making the noise. I finally made out some movement through the thick timber. Whatever was making all the noise was now working up a draw in front of me and coming out of the creek bottom. I threw up the binoculars expecting to see cattle or even other hunters on horseback but instead saw 4 elk filtering through the timber. I quickly gave some cow calls and noticed that the elk were starting to come my direction. They were on the ridge above me and paralleling me, coming my way.

I had kind of forgotten how much more of a rush bowhunting is than rifle hunting. I love rifle hunting and still get a rush out of it, especially for elk, but nothing close to the rush that bowhunting produces. It happened so quickly and a lot of it seemed like a blur. There are a lot of details I don't clearly remember. I think it was the Primos Baby Hoochie Mama call that I used to get them to start coming my way but I am not sure as I was also mixing in calls with the regular Hoochie Mama. I scanned ahead and saw that it was going to be very difficult to get a clear shot in the Ponderosa pines that they were moving through. I didn't have time to use my rangefinder, so I picked the only gap I thought offered a shot and judged the distance. I knew there were four elk but I didn't yet know cows, calves, bulls or what. I caught a glimpse of the first one I saw it was a mature cow which is all I needed to know or really cared about at that moment. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have tried to stop her with a cow call but as small as the gap was I figured the odds of her stopping where I needed her to were slim at best. It was now or never. The instant I saw her chest enter the gap I released the arrow once my 30 yard pin found her chest. At first I thought I shot low and just under her or even maybe skimmed her sternum but then I remembered hearing the smack of the arrow. From what I saw it looked like the arrow hit low and a little farther back than I wanted. The cow started to run off but then stopped and turned broadside behind a tree looking back at me. I was trying to slowly and quietly knock another arrow in case she gave me a follow up shot. She then took off running as did the other cow and a decent 5x5 bull. There was a smaller raghorn bull that just slowly turned and walked back in the direction they came from. All of a sudden the woods were quiet. Looking at my shooting lane after the shot, there were more branches in it than I realized. I think my arrow glanced off one of the branches, plus she was taking a step when I released.

After I collected myself, I walked up to inspect the spot where the cow was standing when I shot. At first, with my mind so full of various thoughts and emotions, I didn't even notice the blood on the ground. I saw my arrow on the ground several yards beyond where the cow had been. I picked it up and inspected it. Not good, not much blood but evidence of a gut shot. Now I had a really bad feeling. I went back to where she had been standing and then noticed pretty good blood on the ground and the start of a pretty good blood trail. This made me feel a little better but not much because of what the arrow showed. I knew I was going to have to give her time. I ranged my shot and came up with 28 yards which I had guessed as 30. As I am giving the cow time and collecting my thoughts, I look up to see a bull crashing off through the timber. Possibly the same bull that had just walked off a few minutes prior?

I followed the blood trail for a short distance to get an idea of how bad she was bleeding and the general direction she was traveling. There were places where there was really good sign such as larger puddles on the ground and where she rubbed on trees and left blood. Then there were other spots where the blood stopped and I would search and search before finding a tiny drop or two. I knew I couldn't go any farther without risking bumping her so I backed off and decided to sit down and take a break before heading back to the truck to give her time and get anything I may need for the possible long tracking job that lay ahead and possibly having to skin and quarter and pack out in the dark. I had most of what I needed with me minus the pack frame (just had my daypack on) and a small lantern that I thought would come in handy for the cleaning chores in the dark. As I am sitting there resting a small 4x4 bull came in behind me and spooked. He went over the top of the ridge but I was able to cow call back to within 25 yards before he finally took off for good. I walked on the backside of the ridge from where I thought my cow was to stay far enough away from her to not spook her. It was about 11:00 now and sunny and warm. As I am walking back I bump another group of elk out in the open in the grass and sagebrush. They went crashing off and I thought man I hope my cow wasn't with them because if so I am really screwed now. I made it back to the truck and decided to drive to another spot to hike in and check the game camera while I am giving the cow enough time to hopefully expire. I ran into a couple friends who I didn't even know were hunting the unit this year. One of them had drawn the primo any elk license that is so hard to get and he was hunting for a nice bull. They are great guys and offered to help me find my cow. We decided to slowly hunt our way in to the game camera hoping to get Chase a chance at a bull. He had hunted that drainage the week before and there were a lot of elk in it and he had encountered two nice bulls. After that, we would slowly work our way over to where I had stopped blood trailing and would pick up the trail after giving her enough time to bed down and hopefully expire.

The hunt in was uneventful. I wanted to give the cow at least 6 hours since it was a gut shot. We picked up the blood trail right around the 6 hour mark and started following it. There were places where the blood just stopped except for a pinhead sized spot here and there that Chase would detect. I don't know if I would have found the elk without their help. It was not looking good and I didn't have a good feeling, but finally we found where she laid down and the ground was covered in dark red blood. At this point we lost the trail again though when she had moved on. I just happened to look down the ridge toward the creek and noticed something that sure looked like an elk bedded down. I put the binoculars up and noticed what sure looked like an elk about 60 or 70 yards away, couldn't see the head or neck though just the back in the sunlight behind some fallen trees. Then I noticed a head appear from behind a tree. I knew it had to be her because no healthy elk would let us get that close without spooking. I snuck down the ridge to get closer to her for a shot. As I got closer it sounded like she was having trouble breathing and it appeared she was too stiff to get out of her bed. I had to maneuver to get a clear shot because of the fallen trees she was lying behind. I finally got a clear 20 yard quartering away shot and placed the second arrow where the first should have gone. She quickly expired after that. I felt horrible about the first shot but I was so relieved that we found her and that she didn't go to waste.

We took some photos and then got to work. We used the gutless method to skin and quarter her so I didn't look inside to see exactly what I hit with that first poor shot. Like I said, it sounded like she had trouble breathing when she was bedded. The first shot had entry and exit wounds where there were small pieces of gut outside the holes. I don't know if I nicked the back of one lung or got the liver or maybe just some arteries and the internal bleeding created pressure on her chest/lungs? The second shot passed through the lungs and the broadhead was sticking out between the front of the shoulder and the sternum on the offside. I initially shot her within 55 minutes of leaving the truck and after the shot she ran back in the direction of the truck. She died at the bottom of the ridge and across the creek from the truck maybe 400 yards or so. We the meat back to the truck and into coolers and then to try to repay the guys for their help, I took them to some wallows that I had another game camera on and where I had some photos of a 6x6 bull as well as a couple smaller bulls. We set up and called until dark with no luck. One elk started to come in but it didn't like what it saw I guess. We did have a heck of a bull moose come in to the wallow and spend about 10 minutes drinking and feeding about 20 yards in front of us. It never knew we were there.

SAM_0935.JPG SAM_0945.JPG SAM_0942.JPG SAM_0949.JPG

Attachments

Reactions: .DIRTY-.THIRTY

·
Premium Member
5,059 Posts
2015 and 2016 Public land rut hunt bucks... Both were killed at same spot... I was sitting on the ground leaned against same tree and both deer feel within 10 feet of each... I cape em and bone out all the meat and pack it out so the skeleton from last year was within 3 yards of this one... No need to wonder where I'll be rut hunt 2017 lol shots where 15 and 20 yards and deer both went around 45-50 yards before expiring... Havent heard from Dr.A in a while... you still on here Doc?

Attachments

161 - 172 of 172 Posts