Marlin Firearms Forum banner

121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,059 Posts
Re: """ ARCHERY KILL PHOTOS and STORIES

Just got back from my 5 day public land rut hunt. Day 1, less than 15 yards from where I killed last years 16pt, I got this one... (You know you have hit good when you get the Pepto Bismo nose blood ;D )

Tried to shoot a 8pt on the way in, I slipped toward him as he fed toward me until we got 35 yards distant, but the wind changed and out snorting he went. Made my way on to my tree, climbed up and the hunt last 4 minutes!! Heard brush breaking, looked to my right to see a doe, then I saw the buck stood up turned around in my stand, very thick growth to shoot through, had not ranged the distance, figured close to 40, (more like 30) shot a quartering toward shot, hit high but arrow penetrated length wise through deer with only 6" of 30" arrow visible, he made 3 bounds and then body slammed himself.

Ended up seeing 4 bucks total, including 1 big one that came within 50 yards, no shots on does. Deer movement was in the middle of the day. From 11:00 til 2:00, then good in the evening.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts

Good job!

You're just a rootin tootin killing machine here lately. You just described perfectly why i like bow hunting. Had a shot at an 8 pointer last PM, but decided it was too early to quit, and he was too small. I'd like at least a 3 year old if possible. How old is that thing, and is it the end of the season for bucks? How many can you kill?

·
Premium Member
5,059 Posts

Howdy Doc,

Just a 2.5 year old. I'm at the point where a 2.5 or older makes me happy ;D

The state allows us 1 buck and 3 does standard.

My trail cams havn't shown anything but those little ones I have let go. No rifle hunting for me but am gonna get out the homemade hickory bow and start practicing for some more backstraps!!

.Dirty-.Thirty

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts

I think that is what I"m going to do. Since I probably will have to shoot a 2.5 year old or possibly a 3 year old, I'll do it traditional. Might mean a little more...

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts

Thanksgiving 2010 Martin Hunter bow 170gr. Zwickey Delta at 8 yards and ran 38 yards.

·
Premium Member
5,059 Posts

Congrats Doc!! Thats a nice buck by any method of harvest, especially great to kill him with a trad bow!!! You've set the bar high again this season for everyone to follow. I hope he is going on the wall? ;D I'm sure your Mrs. won't mind juuuuuuusstttt 1 more mount? ;D

.Dirty-.30

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts

I'm going to mount the antlers myself. I'll forgo the shoulder mount. The MRS. is very understanding, but she has also been in on about 25 of them. This is not one to mount. ::) ;D Just saw the big buck last PM I thought was dead. I'm dissapointed I didn't see him, but glad he is alive. Now if I can just keep him around till next year, or maybe my son will get a shot during rifle/crossbow coming up here. He is a wonder. :D

How in the word do you take off time to go hunt deer elsewhere in the season? I'm afraid my wife wouldn't be that understanding. ;)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

Missed a buck with my rifle and muzzle loader earlier in the year so I was not going to pass this guy up when he came in. Not the biggest buck in the area but not bad either. Got him with my bow, 20 yard shot and he only ran about 40 yards.

Heres a before picture.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts

Congratulations guy's very nice... I missed most of our bow only season :'( due to knee surgery and once gun season starts its tough hunting with a bow. Oh well maybe next year ::)

·
Registered
25,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #131

Looks like a good buck to me.. ;D Congrats

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts

Yall are makin this place look good! Great shootin.

·
Registered
26 Posts

This is a picture of my first deer with my bow. This was not the first year I bow hunted but Was the first hit deer. The year of 2010 was the first year I conviced my dad to go bow hunting, he woul always go up for shotgun season with some of my uncles but I stayed home since I did not have a shot gun or wanted to buy one for deer hunting, anyways this was actually the first year me and my dad hunted together let alone bowhunt(side note Im 20years old). We hunted every weekend for months seeing lots of does but no bucks, no does would come into range either. So the weekend before firearms started here in Mn, we started our hunt on a friday night and again seen some does but nothing in range, the next morning we went out and it was cold! We agreed that a 10am we were getting out of the stands and heading for lunch, well about 930 a small buck appeared 40yards from me, I nocked my bow and he came to 30yards and I smoked him, Igot offered a perfect quartering away shot and took it. The deer ran strait threw the woods. I was pumped up, about 10minutes later I hear my dad yelling so I climbed down and meet up with him. When I found him he kept saying, WE got him, so I asked WE? The deer ran strait for him and stoped for him, I didnt get a pass threw and when he seen the deer he shot it not knowing I had. After he hit him he went 15yards and balled up. he went to look at it and noticed my arrow lol. The awesome part of this story was that it was my first deer with a bow and his first deer ever! What a great way to take a deer when hunting with your dad. -Anthony

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts

Man that was ah great father son story that will be told for generations. Congrats!

·
Registered
26 Posts

Gurn said:
Man that was ah great father son story that will be told for generations. Congrats!
Thanks Gurn!! I never get tired of telling that story. But my dad still clames its his deer since it droped after he shot it lol!!

·
Registered
893 Posts

Good for you! Tell your dad if it wasn't for you he wouldn't be out with a bow in the first place! By the way, where did your arrow hit?

·
Registered
26 Posts

Mine went threw the right ribs, threw the right lung, cliped the heart, and stoped in the left sholder. Dads went threw the left rib area and threw the kidney area. our stands were about 110-130 yards apart.

·
Registered
174 Posts

This was my first and only archery kill to date. The photos are graphic... sorry, reality is messy sometimes. I spotted this little 6 point from about 60 yards. He walked straight in and turned to my left at 12 yards, presenting a perfect quartering away shot. The Grizztrick 100 grain broadhead apparently skimmed a couple of ribs before penetrating. The deer ran about 40 yards dropped within sight and flopped in a circle before expiring in view. Even if I hadn't seen it go down, the blood trail was about 4 feet wide (no joke). The second picture shows why...

·
Registered
256 Posts

Shot this one last year along with two others close to the same size with my Mathews.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts

Nice!!

121 - 140 of 172 Posts