Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here using an arbor press and in-line dies for any of their loading?

In my ongoing quest for accuracy I recently purchased the little RW Hart press and Wilson dies. These things are standard for benchresters, but for me it's a whole new way of loading.

First use has been with the .308 Winchester, and the loads are more consistently accurate now than before - I have noticed an improvement.

The trick behind these things is the chamber-type dies that neck-size only, and seat the bullet with near perfect alignment. So far I've found that it's only a little slower than using my tried and true RCBS Rockchucker, and the loads are superior.

Interesting way to spend money if nothing else! :roll: Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First 100 yard group with ammo loaded on the arbor press. This was fired prone, with only the sling for support. No bipod, sandbag or other rest. Iron sights and my Model 70. I called the flyer left, which was the third shot. Decided to bear down and try a fourth shot to see if I could get it back in with the first two. So far I'm pretty happy with the results and haven't started messing with overall length etc, the cartridges were just loaded to factory length, to function through the magazine. Regards, Guy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice Group!! So what does a set up like that run pricewise?? I have a sporterized 1903 that will shoot like that I'm sure if I could tighten up the quality of my reloads, I suppose, although I can't really complain now. But for some reason in my shooting hobby, the quest for precision has popped up and I would like to try it out with my springer. I don't think bench rest is for me, but I can see what draws some guys into it- :D

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Hart press runs about $130, seater dies are in the $30 - $35 range and size/decapper dies are about $40 or so.

Very simple process to load with the little arbor press. There are less expensive presses avail too. Sinclair has a nice one for about $100 I believe.

I don't do any benchrest competion myself, prefer to shoot highpower competition at this point. It was a bunch of benchresters who got me interested in the arbor press though... Those guys are amazingly detailed in their ammo prep! Regards, Guy

·
Registered
957 Posts
Would you count using Lee Loader dies in a bottle capper? I did that back in the day.

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leftoverdj - I count anything except factory loaded ammo as handloaded!

For a long time I used only a little Lee loader, the kind that requires a mallet. Only had two centerfires, a .357 mag and a 6mm Rem. Still have those two Lee loaders, although I haven't used either of them in 20 years.

Churned out plenty of ammo to kill rockchucks and other varmints real dead! Regards, Guy

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I bought a 38 spl Lee loader at a farm sale for a buck or so, and it took me forever to load a box of 50. A kind-hearted friend gave me some brass & a partial can of AL7, so I bought a box of 125 JHP, and 100 primers. I had a Charter Arms 38 snubbie that went through the 50 rounds in an incredibly short time.

From such humble thrills are raging addictions born! :D SW

·
Registered
957 Posts
The bottle capper was my effort at eliminating the mallet in the Lee Loader process. For those of you who have never seen one, a bottle capper is an arbor press of sorts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts