Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried looking up info on this combination without too much luck..... so I tried figuring out my own load but now Im beginning to doubt my choices ... so can anyone tell me if 33gr of AR2206H would be too hot for a 336 ss 20inch barrel (Remington cases & CCI Large rifle primers)...? ADI page doesnt have loads for the 160gr FTX and I am trying for about 2250fps ....
I haven't shot any of the loaded bullets yet and am wondering if I should pull the Bullets and rather start at 30gr or Maybe 32gr Ar2206h ... Any pointers would be of great help... Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge :) Huh

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Leverlad, 33.0 grains of that powder, (H4895 to us Yanks) is listed as being slightly above or below the maximum charge for a 150-grain bullet, depending on whose data you use. Lyman says 30.0 is tops, buit Hodgdon says you can go as high as 34.0 grains. Powders vary from lot to lot, and much of the testing isn't even done in a real gun, it's done in a pressure barrel, so the data they show generally involves a whole different set of circumstances. You can use all the same components they use, but rarely (if ever) will you get the same results they did, both in regards to pressure AND velocity.

So you're using a heavier bullet than they were, and you're clearly close to top-end, if not past it. The prudent reloader would be a bit less ambitious, break them down, reduce the charge a couple grains, and work up slowly. That's not what everyone does.........but it's what they should do.

I haven't worked with that bullet, and I don't remember how it's contoured, it might have more or less bearing surface than similar bullets of about the same weight, i. e., 150 and 170-grainers. I'm betting it has less, which would make it a little more forgiving, but this doesn't even qualify as a SWAG (Scientific [email protected]$$ Guess) so step carefully. In the field of experimental ballistics, there are cowpies everywhere you look! :eek:

Having said that, and me being me, I'd fire a couple and see how they did. If they're overloaded you'd know after one or two, and could adjust your course as you saw fit. I'm not recommending you shoot any, I'm just saying that I would fire a couple and see where I stood. I'm a well-known Dumas, and don't always follow good advice.

I've been asked how I learned so much about handloading, and the truth is (and Swany will back me up on this) that I've stretched the envelope a few times in the course of my experiments. Sometimes you get away with it, and sometimes bad things happen, but you learn from your mistakes, and don't repeat them.......unless you're an idiot.

Remember.....I did NOT tell you to shoot any of those. Just because I probably would doesn't mean YOU have to be a Dumas too. ;)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Have only got loads for the 308MX which is Bull tits for what you want to do.
PJ, the 160 FTX is a boat tail so probably would have less bearing surface than a conventioal flat base but like you I would only be guessing as for as load recommendations are concerned.
If I find something I'll let you know LeverLad.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aussie 1 said:
Have only got loads for the 308MX which is Bull tits for what you want to do.
PJ, the 160 FTX is a boat tail so probably would have less bearing surface than a conventioal flat base but like you I would only be guessing as for as load recommendations are concerned.
If I find something I'll let you know LeverLad.
Thanks Mate I would really appreciate it ! I am gonna break down most of them but will put 2 or 3 over the chrony to see what they are doing - i know manufacturers like to play it safe and rarely list loads approaching doomsday results ....

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
papajohn said:
Leverlad, 33.0 grains of that powder, (H4895 to us Yanks) is listed as being slightly above or below the maximum charge for a 150-grain bullet, depending on whose data you use. Lyman says 30.0 is tops, buit Hodgdon says you can go as high as 34.0 grains. Powders vary from lot to lot, and much of the testing isn't even done in a real gun, it's done in a pressure barrel, so the data they show generally involves a whole different set of circumstances. You can use all the same components they use, but rarely (if ever) will you get the same results they did, both in regards to pressure AND velocity.

So you're using a heavier bullet than they were, and you're clearly close to top-end, if not past it. The prudent reloader would be a bit less ambitious, break them down, reduce the charge a couple grains, and work up slowly. That's not what everyone does.........but it's what they should do.

I haven't worked with that bullet, and I don't remember how it's contoured, it might have more or less bearing surface than similar bullets of about the same weight, i. e., 150 and 170-grainers. I'm betting it has less, which would make it a little more forgiving, but this doesn't even qualify as a SWAG (Scientific [email protected]$$ Guess) so step carefully. In the field of experimental ballistics, there are cowpies everywhere you look! :eek:

Having said that, and me being me, I'd fire a couple and see how they did. If they're overloaded you'd know after one or two, and could adjust your course as you saw fit. I'm not recommending you shoot any, I'm just saying that I would fire a couple and see where I stood. I'm a well-known Dumas, and don't always follow good advice.

I've been asked how I learned so much about handloading, and the truth is (and Swany will back me up on this) that I've stretched the envelope a few times in the course of my experiments. Sometimes you get away with it, and sometimes bad things happen, but you learn from your mistakes, and don't repeat them.......unless you're an idiot.

Remember.....I did NOT tell you to shoot any of those. Just because I probably would doesn't mean YOU have to be a Dumas too. ;)
Thanx PappaJohn you and I think along the same lines ... may just chrony a couple to see what's cooking... I dont think 2250fps is asking too much of these bullets considering the hype ...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi Leverlad - what amount of ar2206h have you found most accurate under the ftx projectile?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Leverlad - what amount of ar2206h have you found most accurate under the ftx projectile?
Hi there Australian... 31gr AR2206H gives me 2050fps and the best groupings .....

Reactions: Australian
1 - 7 of 7 Posts