Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first AR a few weeks ago. It’s a Palmetto with adj stock and flattop receiver. Got the bolt on carrying handle in the deal. I wanted solid M16 type stock on it. Thanks to mole man got buffer tube off.
He sent me contoured block to hold buffer in vise. The castle nut holding it was staked in 4 places. I slipped a 12g barrel cut off over the wrench for cheater and broke it loose. 5 minutes and had it switched out. Still haven’t shot. Have to turn me a 2.75” plug for bottom of new buffer. Got me a chunk of 1” nylon or Teflon that I’m turning it out of. Main thing is I didn’t have to drill stakes out. Only thing I had handy was blue loc time
Air gun Trigger Wood Machine gun Gun barrel
, so give it small dab. Ought to serve my needs the way it is now.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Nice looking rig.. I’ve been very pleased with palmetto products.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Enjoy your new rifle. Don't see many A1 stocks any more.

CD

Reactions: Kendawg and Golphin

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nice, I also like the shorter A1 length stocks over the A2's although I have them both. The prices on the PSA lower parts kits are hard to beat.

·
Registered
14,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice, I also like the shorter A1 length stocks over the A2's although I have them both. The prices on the PSA lower parts kits are hard to beat.
Any advice on my buffer tube depth? New tube is 9.75”, was 7.0” on adj stock. Planning on filler made of nylon of 2.75”. Planning on getting 1K of Mil Spec 55gr.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Good looking rig. Eager to hear how she shoots.

Take her out and show that lady a good time.

Reactions: Golphin and Greyta

·
Registered
14,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to take it out for sight in session. Going to do old school like we did back in basic. The 25 meter combat sight in. That should be perfect for my needs. Have buffer issue to take care of first. Got a bout 3 days worth of stuff piled on the old lathe. If I was lazy would saw off a piece of broom handle for spacer.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would go ahead and get a rifle length buffer (h2 I think) and spring. You will love how it smooth it shoots. I have had one for years in that configuration and it is one of my favorite rifles. Quick follow up shots, soft recoil and no bolt carrier bounce.. Much safer too.

·
Registered
766 Posts
PSA makes a great gun, slapped a new .300 Blackout upper on a lower today, in hopes of eliminating a few pig Large Hogs that are annoying me. Put about 40 rounds through it sighting it in and playing, and she's definitely a shooter.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would go ahead and get a rifle length buffer (h2 I think) and spring. You will love how it smooth it shoots. I have had one for years in that configuration and it is one of my favorite rifles. Quick follow up shots, soft recoil and no bolt carrier bounce.. Much safer too.
H2 is a carbine buffer. Rifle length buffer is longer. A rifle length spring should go with the rifle buffer. However, understand OP wants to reuse what he has.

CD

Reactions: Old Creek

·
Registered
380 Posts
Any advice on my buffer tube depth? New tube is 9.75”, was 7.0” on adj stock. Planning on filler made of nylon of 2.75”. Planning on getting 1K of Mil Spec 55gr.
Sounds like a plan. If you go shorter there's a chance the gas key will hit the rear of the receiver where the buffer screws in and damage it, same as if the spacer was missing which would worry me more than any potential over gassing Did the stock come with the rifle buffer and spring?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I came to ARs late in life but really appreciate them now.
I'm the same way. Only a mere year ago I had zero interest, and would never dream of buying one. Several factors convinced me that now is the time - mostly because we have an anti-gun, Leftist controlled government for another three plus years, and I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to own one. Also, various happenings on our nations streets like violent protesters and roving gangs of vandals and looters made me realize that my current weapons of choice were inadequate. Lastly, my recent trip to the range with my old school iron sighted thumpers made me realize that I couldn't hit the side of a barn with my age-deteriorated eyesight. I easily attached an inexpensive red dot optic to mine and it should keep me on target at the under 200 yd. distances I normally shoot. My shoulder isn't getting any younger either and the low recoil but good terminal ballistics are appealing as well.

To me, the AR just makes sense. Flat shooting, accurate, efficient, effective...and importanty the ammo is lightweight! I'm always surprised when I go to lift a case of 5.56 and it doesn't weigh 60 or 70 pounds like the old 7.62 NATO cases of surplus that I used to tote around!

Reactions: pacificpt

·
Registered
14,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like a plan. If you go shorter there's a chance the gas key will hit the rear of the receiver where the buffer screws in and damage it, same as if the spacer was missing which would worry me more than any potential over gassing Did the stock come with the rifle buffer and spring?
Stock came with buffer tube, no spring. I’m not into ARs but would have no problem buying a buffer spring if that was a better option than a filler. I though since gun was manf to function with carbine length buffer spring & tube, simplest fix is to put filler slug in to equal measurements.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'm the same way. Only a mere year ago I had zero interest, and would never dream of buying one. Several factors convinced me that now is the time - mostly because we have an anti-gun, Leftist controlled government for another three plus years, and I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to own one. Also, various happenings on our nations streets like violent protesters and roving gangs of vandals and looters made me realize that my current weapons of choice were inadequate. Lastly, my recent trip to the range with my old school iron sighted thumpers made me realize that I couldn't hit the side of a barn with my age-deteriorated eyesight. I easily attached an inexpensive red dot optic to mine and it should keep me on target at the under 200 yd. distances I normally shoot. My shoulder isn't getting any younger either and the low recoil but good terminal ballistics are appealing as well.

To me, the AR just makes sense. Flat shooting, accurate, efficient, effective...and importanty the ammo is lightweight! I'm always surprised when I go to lift a case of 5.56 and it doesn't weigh 60 or 70 pounds like the old 7.62 NATO cases of surplus that I used to tote around!
This is pretty much my thinking. Also I have a female family member who is not into guns but wanted to know how to run a rifle. My AR with a red dot worked perfectly in building her confidence.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I changed out the adjustable stock on my AR10 DPMS to a fixed A2 stock. I don't remember what company I ordered the kit from, it may have been from Brownell's, but it came with the buffer spring, the buffer tube, the buffer and of course, the stock with screw. The stock was made specifically for the AR10. I don't really like adjustable stocks, although, I left my other AR10 with the adjustable it came with, and don't plan on changing it out, or the one on my AR15 as well.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Sorry Combat Diver and Drm50, I did say rifle length buffer and spring, however i should have typed A2 instead of H2... no misinformation intended.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Stock came with buffer tube, no spring. I’m not into ARs but would have no problem buying a buffer spring if that was a better option than a filler. I though since gun was manf to function with carbine length buffer spring & tube, simplest fix is to put filler slug in to equal measurements.
That'll certainly work just fine or if down the road you want to change it out to the rifle spring and buffer and If your gun was running just fine before with the carbine set up I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

There's two lowers I test new wildcat or "standard caliber" barrels with when deciding on the gas port diameter. A mid 80's A1 stocked lower and an early 90's carbine stocked lower, both have standard springs and buffers in them. They'll usually start cycling first with the well loved A1 stocked gun so it's the main testbed. Once they're reliably locking back on an empty mag I'll try the carbine lower. Often the carbine lowers need the gas port opened up .002"-.004", but not always. After that they're good for whatever rifle caliber lower (A1/A2/Carbine) I want to use them on.

·
Registered
14,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That'll certainly work just fine or if down the road you want to change it out to the rifle spring and buffer and If your gun was running just fine before with the carbine set up I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

There's two lowers I test new wildcat or "standard caliber" barrels with when deciding on the gas port diameter. A mid 80's A1 stocked lower and an early 90's carbine stocked lower, both have standard springs and buffers in them. They'll usually start cycling first with the well loved A1 stocked gun so it's the main testbed. Once they're reliably locking back on an empty mag I'll try the carbine lower. Often the carbine lowers need the gas port opened up .002"-.004", but not always. After that they're good for whatever rifle caliber lower (A1/A2/Carbine) I want to use them on.
I was just now looking at parts. The stock I took off is Magpul 1LX50 with buffer tube and castle nut with the bushing that goes against reciever. Thought I might sell that stuff and buy the buffer for rifle buffer. Cant find that number listed. What’s reasonable value of that stuff.
Its been 52 yrs but these ARs seem heavier than our M16s back then. Maybe it’s because I’m 71 now, not 19. Haven’t turned the slug yet. Any advice appreciated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts