Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. Not sure if this is the right sub-forum to post this. Mods please move if required.

I've been looking a lot lately at some AR pistols I find really interesting. I know that there are not a lot of AR pistol fans out there but I would be interested to hear any feedback from those here that have owned one or know anything about the platform. Building one is probably not a option at this point as I do not yet have the expertise or time to complete a project like that so my preference is to just buy one ready to go out of the box. Both the Springfield Saint and Sig M400 are very attractive but I think a bit out of my price range. Palmetto looks interesting with the Shockwave but I also like the ATI Omni Hybrid Maxx and its only $350 or so. So... any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Have been contemplating this very idea myself recently! Looks like PSA has some pretty deals on the shockwave...just not sure if I want to go 223/556 or possibly a piston caliber like 9mm...

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
805 Posts
If you already own an AR pick an upper up off of Armslist and slap it on and pop the stock off, pistol!

·
Registered
28,660 Posts
I was thinking 9mm since I do have a complete lower sitting in gun safe. Tons of 9mm ammo also!

ca,jun56

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'd like to have a pistol caliber rifle, but I think I'll save my gun money for 1894 and leave the 556 in tact for now

·
Registered
693 Posts
I didn't want to put one together either and bought a Ruger AR pistol.
I put an Aimpoint on it.
It shoots very good and is actually pretty accurate.
I have shot it out to 200 yards and am happy with the results.
I bought it because I spend lots of time in the desert down by the border and wanted something I could easily carry in a vehicle.
I actually like shooting it. The only problem is that it is very loud.
It is a fun gun to shoot.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a couple AR pistols, one is a CMMG Guard 9mm, the other a 22 made using a CMMG upper on my stripped Aero lower. 22 I built to shoot 22 for lots and lots of cheap practice and fun. The pic is an early one, the 22 now has the Vortex red dot the Guard has in the pic, and the Guard now has a Sig Romeo 4s sight on it. They are really fun to shoot at the steel drop targets at the local range. Nice deviation from my Marlins, Smiths and 1911s (yeah I'm addicted bad lol).

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
I put one together in 300 blackout for home defense and love it. I am thinking about switching to a 458 this winter to shoot a 500 grain round.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I almost bought one last year on a whim. They legalized them for our Alternative deer season last year and my LGS couldn’t keep them in stock. PSA’s I believe.

·
Registered
939 Posts
If you already own an AR pick an upper up off of Armslist and slap it on and pop the stock off, pistol!
I believe Buckeye33 is correct in that if your AR lower was originally registered with ATF as a rifle then putting a pistol length upper on it can get you a felony conviction (barrel less than 16 inches on a rifle).

·
Premium Member
13,888 Posts
I didn't want to put one together either and bought a Ruger AR pistol.
I put an Aimpoint on it.
It shoots very good and is actually pretty accurate.
I have shot it out to 200 yards and am happy with the results.
I bought it because I spend lots of time in the desert down by the border and wanted something I could easily carry in a vehicle.
I actually like shooting it. The only problem is that it is very loud.
It is a fun gun to shoot.
" It's an assault pistol so, it's bullets has more bang noise packed in them, when they're made."
Finestine

:wink::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
If you own an AR rifle and slap a pistol upper <16" on it you have created an illegal SBR (short barrel rifle). This you must have a $200 tax stamp to own!!

If you have an AR PISTOL, you CAN slap any length upper you wish on it.

Once a AR Lower is deemed to be a "rifle lower", it must STAY a rifle lower.

A PISTOL AR Lower can be changed to into a rifle or pistol at will. (Lesson here, if you buy a stripped lower, ALWAYS deem that lower as a "pistol lower" at purchase time)

All that said, I really like an AR pistol, the concept to me was very intriguing years ago. I built mine and really like it for things like home defense, plinking around and concealment. However, it's the LEAST USED AR platform I own. Cool thing is, I can make a rifle out of it anytime I wish if I get tried of it collecting dust. :smokin:

DR

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for the good feedback. There is much to think about. The reason that I am thinking about an already complete firearm is because I am completely unfamiliar with the AR platform. Never assembled one or broken one down, never seen one assembled in person. And seldom even fired one. I know there are utoob vids about assembling them but utoob ain't real life. At least a complete gun comes functional and with some type of warranty. Again, the PSA and ATI look interesting because of the form factor and price. My Hi-Point 99TS fills my pistol caliber carbine category so I'll probably will stay with a 5.56/.223 Rem simply due to ammo price and availability, and am determining if I would go with a 7"-7.5" barrel or 10". Not sure yet. This will not be for 'tactical operation' or the zombie apocalypse even the coming civil war (although ya' never know...) but for the range, and my nephew has some property in East Tennessee that is prime for shooting!! Also, its because I want one to exercise my still intact (for the time being) 2A right to own one. And that's probably the best reason of all. Bozo O'Rourke be damned.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Building an AR whether a rifle or pistol is very simple. Lots of videos to show you everything you need to know and only a few special tools needed. Before spending money think about doing it yourself. That’s the best way to become familiar with the platform. At today’s prices on components you can get exactly what you want and have very little invested in it. Would make a great winter project.
Remember, it’s a tool that was designed to be serviced in the mud and desert so it ain’t all that complex.
and it’s a lot of fun. Think erector set for adults.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Have a couple and they are a ton of fun. Did pick up an ATI and have had no problems with it. Just as accurate as other's I've shot. Can have it loaded in the vehicle uncased being a handgun. In WI anyway.:dancing2:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm... well I can do a complete bench strip of my Hi-Point 995TS. Perhaps if I can do that I could assemble an AR. All the parts definitions confuse me, tho. Stripped upper, full upper, full lower, lower with buffer, bolt carrier, lower with trigger assembly.... very confusing. Does anyone make a kit with all the parts? I think that would be illegal tho, eh?

·
Premium Member
13,888 Posts
Thanks all for the good feedback. There is much to think about. The reason that I am thinking about an already complete firearm is because I am completely unfamiliar with the AR platform. Never assembled one or broken one down, never seen one assembled in person. And seldom even fired one. I know there are utoob vids about assembling them but utoob ain't real life. At least a complete gun comes functional and with some type of warranty. Again, the PSA and ATI look interesting because of the form factor and price. My Hi-Point 99TS fills my pistol caliber carbine category so I'll probably will stay with a 5.56/.223 Rem simply due to ammo price and availability, and am determining if I would go with a 7"-7.5" barrel or 10". Not sure yet. This will not be for 'tactical operation' or the zombie apocalypse even the coming civil war (although ya' never know...) but for the range, and my nephew has some property in East Tennessee that is prime for shooting!! Also, its because I want one to exercise my still intact (for the time being) 2A right to own one. And that's probably the best reason of all. Bozo O'Rourke be damned.
ARs are so simple I'd say a average 14 yr old could assemble one. With Youtube videos.

Reactions: durf and flatsneck
1 - 20 of 27 Posts