Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13 year old refrigerator started doing the same darn thing again! Flap where the crushed ice and cubed ice was staying stuck open. Bought new part and replaced it today. Who wants to pay somebody $75 to show up to fix something they can fix! Not I said the ca'jun!
Picture of old part! Rusty and old!

20191210_131324.jpg , 20191210_131338.jpg .

Get her done!

ca'jun56

·
Super Moderator
15,677 Posts
I like this. So many repairs we can do ourselves if we only try. My wife shouts 'maintenance' when I and my tools are needed.
Mine too! I even have a sweatshirt that says "Maintenance Department" on it...

·
Registered
13,509 Posts
I look up appliances & furnances all the time on you tube. Just like guns there are the ones you run into everyday and you can usually figure out what's wrong in minutes. Get against one you've never messed with before and you are better off checking out a trouble shooting video before you "operate".

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
You mean you don't subscribe to the Libertard philosophy of it is beneath me to fix my own stuff---Thats the job of a deplorable

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
I always end up fixing the appliances around here. Every time the wife hears a noise I have to go investigate it. Replaced the dryer rollers and belt twice, fixed the circuit board on the washer and replaced the tub in it (that job sucks). Refrigerator surprisingly has given us zero trouble in 17 years, probably should start thinking about replacing it but it's so damned reliable I don't want to jinx it.

Stu

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Ever since my divorce my maintenance is way,way down. Haven't had a dryer in 4 years! Clothesline outside in the summer and hang the clothes around in the winter. Things just don't get broke like they used too!

·
Registered
29,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always end up fixing the appliances around here. Every time the wife hears a noise I have to go investigate it. Replaced the dryer rollers and belt twice, fixed the circuit board on the washer and replaced the tub in it (that job sucks). Refrigerator surprisingly has given us zero trouble in 17 years, probably should start thinking about replacing it but it's so damned reliable I don't want to jinx it.

Stu

Three water pumps that drain the tub on washer, one control board on gas dryer, one condenser fan on same refrigerator, thermostat in freezer also, ceiling fan in living room and bedroom, one gas hot water heater also. Bought a new stove to replace my old gas stove. The list can go on and on!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
353 Posts
Appliancepartspros.com has a nice troubleshooting guide and gets you the parts fast. You can also usually find them cheaper elsewhere if it's something you go through alot. This fridge has been ok so far. Had to replace the water valve and ice maker in the last one. Computer board in dishwasher twice before the motor/pump combo stopped which cost enough we just got a new one. New one had the upper rack bracket break after a year, original was plastic and the replacement is SS. New front loading washer for some reason they put a strainer basket before the water pump which clogs with dog hair and needs cleaned once a year or so. Have to take the stupid thing half apart because it's all sheet metal screwed together with no access panel for the cleanout which you couldn't reach from the front anyways. Next time I'll likely just cut a hole in the side in front of the cleanout for easy access. Replaced the door lock on it when it was about a year old and the rollers at about 2. Probably going to be our last front loader. Old top load washer just a water pump in the 10 or so years we had it and only because a sock got in it and broke the impeller. That was until the transmission shaft splines stripped out because it was machined poorly and only half of the spline length would engage. New motor/trans combo was more than it was worth. Old dryer used to burn out the temp sensors every couple years, gas valves once, ignitor once, rollers several times. Dryer before that about the same. No issues with that matching washer until the bronze thrust bearing on the bottom of the tub wore through. It was a common size and available at Ace. They're making appliances that are harder and more expensive to work on and require more maintenance because they want you to just replace them. 2 year old kenmore overhead range microwave computer board went out over the summer. For about the same money as a new computer board I just got a new LG unit to replace it.

·
Registered
29,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just ordered only motor to repair drain pump, $23 for only motor. Some places want to sell you complete assembly for $132! Lol! not today or tomorrow! It's good to have part on hand.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
I also use AppliancePartsPros.com. Great place to get help diagnosing the problem and parts at the same time. Makes it a whole lot easier since being in the computer age. Either way, haven't had a repair man visit in over 30 years. And that was because it was still under a warranty. Didn't cost me a thing.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
I replaced the rubber door seal on my Whirlpool front loader a while back. It was leaking around the door on to the floor. I hate trip and slip hazards. The job was a lot like getting a cow's prolapsed uterus back in. I've never done that, mind you, but I've seen Dr. Pol do it on TV.

Washer doesn't leak now.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I replaced the rubber door seal on my Whirlpool front loader a while back. It was leaking around the door on to the floor. I hate trip and slip hazards. The job was a lot like getting a cow's prolapsed uterus back in. I've never done that, mind you, but I've seen Dr. Pol do it on TV.

Washer doesn't leak now.
Seems like someone from Pol Veterinary is always elbow deep in a bovine vajay-jay.

·
Premium Member
13,363 Posts
Since I retired and have time to work on things, I've become an all around fix-it-myselfer. Not a whole lot that I don't repair or overhaul rather than calling in someone that'll charge an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I am an auto tech so I naturally try to fix my appliances. I completely rebuilt a washer and dryer then sold them on craigslist and bought a new (matched set) pair because we do 25-30 loads per week.

I have since replaced the control panel twice and one water valve on the washer.

My $3500 fridge started leaking at age 3 so I replaced a water valve. Then the ice maker started acted weird so I replaced the entire assembly.

My top oven stopped working a few years ago and I found the wiring schematic folded up behind the controls so I diagnosed a bad relay in the $300 control board. My solution was to un-solder the bad relay and I then wired in an automotive relay in its place.

Only took me a couple times working on the dish washer before I junked it and bought a nice one.

I am constantly fixed toilets and faucets around here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts