Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know it has a rail but even still I am not accustomed to scoping a lever gun. I have a 110% awesome jm SBL but I have 47 year old eyes and I am ugly. I have thought about the Leupold VX II 2.5 fixed and then there is a variable Leupold scout 1-4 from the custom shop. I could also go with a traditional scope with less eye relief. Most shooting will be done goofing off on paper from 50 to 100 yards but ai would love to use the rifle on hogs or bear so I guess that is where the rubber hits the road. What do you guys have that you like and why?

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
You think yer ugly now, wait till scope bite gets you

I shoot outto 550 yards, have 60 year old eyes, and none of my levers are scoped.

Latter, peep, and ghost are the way to go

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I shoot an m8 2.5x20mm Leupold on my 1895G. FOV is large enough for close stuff, magnification is enough for 200yds on critters. I had no trouble scaring a 12"x12" plate plumb to death @ 620yds once I figured out my holdover with 405 cast @ 1511fps.

I had peeps and once things got over 50yds in the woods I did not feel comfortable shooting, the 2.5x magnification took care of that for me. Lots of guys are more comfortable with peeps than I am, but it was a low powered scope for me.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pard.....I bow to your superior genetics. I have the big ghost ring on the back now and when I try to put them all together with back, front and target things are just a bit fuzzy. I'm not sold on the scope yet, perhaps some more casting, reloading and squinting would be cheaper.

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
You think yer ugly now, wait till scope bite gets you

I shoot outto 550 yards, have 60 year old eyes, and none of my levers are scoped.

Latter, peep, and ghost are the way to go
The only thing I own that can reach 550 yards is my truck when it starts up.:hmmmm:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I havent scoped my 45-70 yet. But I have my 336 in 30-30. I have a bushnell banner 1.75x4 with 6" eye relief , and a circle recticle that I like pretty darn good. I dont have a fortune in it if I change my mind. The Glennfield on the bottom is it.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Pard.....I bow to your superior genetics.

I have the big ghost ring on the back now and when I try to put them all together with back, front and target things are just a bit fuzzy.
Its hard to be humble when you come from northern European stock. Ve shall rule die vorld! I aint good lookin, nor smart, no rich, but I can see for miles

DO you wear glasses? there is a spot you can stick to your glasses or safety glasses that will make your eye focal point adjust to the sights.

Diopter Devices Aid Older Eyes « Daily Bulletin

thats how I will roll when I get old :)

The only thing I own that can reach 550 yards is my truck when it starts up.:hmmmm:
Both of my 45/70s have ladder sights on them. It takes a few seconds for that blob of lead to reach out there, but the clang tells all.

Ive shot the 30WCF out to 300 years, never figured on going any further

1 - 8 of 8 Posts