Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a dovetail filler and am planning to thread a hole in it to store my aperture in when not in use. I think this will be a good way to keep from losing it if I decide to take it out and use the ghost ring.

What size are the aperture threads?

Also, I am not a machinist. Is there anything special I need to know? I have an old tap and die set around here somewhere and I am willing to risk a $5 dovetail filler.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Thread size is 12-40 which is just a few thousands from 7/32-40 which is why our apertures fit great in almost all the other aperture sights on the market.
A 12-40 tap is pretty expensive since they are not common.

If you send me your dovetail blank I'll drill and tap it for you.

Its a neat idea and I'd like to see it done!

Andy

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! That sounds like an offer I can't refuse.

At least let me buy a dovetail blank from you. How about if I order one of yours and you drill and tap it. I certainly don't expect you to work on something I bought somewhere else. If you're willing to do that I'll be more than happy to field test it for you and let you know how it works out. I'll even post pics here.

Let me know if that's OK with you and I'll place the order, or if you mail me one I'll send you a check. Whatever works for you.

Thanks.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Sounds good. Send me the order and I'll drill and tap it for you. (This is a pilot project. If it looks like a good plan perhaps we will add it to the Skinner Options via www.skinnersights.com)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I'm very excited about trying this out, so I went online to order.

I am having some difficulties and can't get Paypal to accept my order.

Is there another way to order or some helpful Paypal tips? I have ordered off your site before with no problems.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
No idea about the Paypal glitch. It seems to be working fine here. Zip me off an email detailing the issue and I'll try to help.

Thanks!

Andy

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the Paypal thing figured out and ordered a dovetail blank.

It is the order for Pitts going to Apalachicola FL. If you need more info please let me know.

I really appreciate your doing this and I hope it turns out to be a good product for you.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my drilled and tapped doveatil blank today and got it installed. It is SWEET! It is going to be the perfect solution to storing my aperture when I want to shoot the ghost ring. I just screw it into the dovetail blank and it is out of the way and not getting lost.

Thanks again Andy, I really appreciate it! I hope these become a successful addition to your lineup. I think it is the perfect solution to the problem of storing your aperture when shooting ghost ring.

I will post pics ASAP. I can't wait to field test it this fall.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Looking forward to the pic! Always a good thing when the vision becomes a reality. :)

Keep smiling!

Andy

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been meaning to do a photo shoot and post pics, but have been pretty busy. I had a little time today and went fishing. It was worth it, I pretty much wrecked em.

I will get the pics up ASAP. I think you'll like the way it works and looks. Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts