Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just ordered a williams fire sight peep for my guide gun. I have a vortex 2-7x32 on it right now but wanted to try a peep. Any advice on using a peep? It should be similar to using the peep on my compound bow right? Are they accurate out to 100+ yards? Where I moose hunt 100 yards is a long shot, especially if im pushing bush. With a peep am I better to sight in with a 6 o'clock sight picture or a dead on sight picture? I figure what's the worst that can happen, I dont like a peep so I have to sight my scope back in, that's a terrible thing huh. Lol just means more range time either way.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Ha! Well, I use peep sights on most of my Marlins, but, it all comes down to the individual, especially that individuals eyesight! Peep sights work, very quick for you to put your gun on target, especially at close range and easily out to 100+yds. You just need to shoot it and get used to it. Won't take long at all. Nothing wrong with scopes, I've been resisting using one on my Marlins and so far I don't feel I need one. But again, personal preference!
Try it! I think you will like it!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already ordered it so im giving it a whirl. I have a sweet .22 that would look good with that scope on it. Im excited now. Just have to wait on the damn postal delivery system.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yes, the aperture sight on a rifle works exactly like it does on a bow though you have but one "pin" choice for range.
Thousands of long range black powder cartridge rifle shooters us aperture sights to hit 36" and smaller circles at 1000 yards on a regular basis. Figure out your optimal engagement range and zero your rifle at that range. Then, without changing your sight setting shoot targets at greater and lesser ranges to determine your point of impact relative to your point of aim. Don't use too small an aperture and avoid an over large front sight bead or blade. You will find the aperture easy to use and accurate.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dan the more I hear the more I like my choice. If I really get onto the peep sight I could see a skinner Alaskan in my future. They are a pretty peep. But my williams was less than half what they are worth. Or who knows maybe I will stick with the Williams. I seem to have a problem where I like to change and upgrade things just because, they work fine but I like new and better. Only seems to be with my guns and bows and knives tho. I bet im not the only one on this sight with that affliction. Lol

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I have a peep/ghost ring type sight on my 1895GS. It works well for me. I got the Skinner SS model. I like the idea of getting a fast target acquisition. I use the GS for bear protection while in Alaska. I tried a peep on my 1894 .44 mag but didn't like it. I shot it better with the stock buckhorn iron sights. I comes down to personal preference and eye sight.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Which model Williams peep did you get?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fire sight set that mounts on top of the reciever using the scope base holes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont really care for the ones that mount to the side of the reciever

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
It sort of depends on how big of a target you set up a 6 O'clock hold on, and how far away it is. I set my sights so they are about 2 inches above dead on at 100 yds. 90% of shots on game are inside 75 yds, with an occassional shot out to 150 yd or so. The key to a rifle peep, is maintain a consistent cheek weld, then focus on the front sight being on target and trigger control, and let the brain automatically center the front sight in the peep.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok cool. Sounds really similar to archery sights. Forget about the peep just put the pin where you want it to go and let your body take over.

Reactions: graymustang

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
uploadfromtaptalk1400509964921.jpg
This is the set I ordered.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My gg already has that front sight on it, I bought it used, so its only a matter of taking the scope and base off and installing the aperture.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
uploadfromtaptalk1400510493619.jpg here she is right now, once the peep shows up I will post another pic. And here is the from sight that is on her uploadfromtaptalk1400510557177.jpg looks the same as the one in the set i ordered.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
If you find it shoots to low or high, swapping out the front sight is easy. Williams/Lyman have charts to help figure this out, when/if you punch out the sight # will be on the bottom. Consider a twilight aperature, really helpfull on dreary days.

20140513_234313.jpg

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I use peeps on most, but not all, of our Marlins, both Williams and Skinners. The Williams FP is easier to adjust and a good choice if you plan to switch loads a lot. The Skinner is tough as nails and a great choice for backcountry work and it looks great - my first choice for a back country gun.

Basics of using a peep apply: just look though the peep and concentrate on the front sight, make sure you allow enough light to see the front sight and target, well. On dark days or back in the timber, I just remove the aperture and go ghost ring. What little accuracy you lose won't amount to a hill of beans for something like hunting.

For target work, I much prefer a six o'clock hold with the sights set to shoot high enough to print in the middle of the size of bull I am using. For anything else and especially hunting, I have always preferred the dead on hold. I figure when you get an opportunity to take an animal, you sure don't need to be messing with how much lower do I need to hold with the six o'clock to put the bullet where it needs to go.

For target work, I much prefer a blade front sight with my peeps, but out in the woods and during first and last light shooting, those Firesight fronts are amazing. I highly recommend them for hunting. Be aware that they are not as rugged as all metal sights, but they're not overly fragile, either and most of us don't use our Marlins as machetes, anyway. :) If you're out in the back country, not a bad idea to carry extra light pipes or even an extra Firesight front, just in case.

Jesse, that's the Williams Guide set. Because that peep rests so high on the receiver, you will most likely have to use the Firesight that comes with the set. That's why Williams sells it as a set. I've used that peep on a number of my Marlins and have never yet been able to use the factory front. No big deal to install a front. The Skinner website has some great info on it (scroll down to bottom of page).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok sweet. Im pretty sure the rear sight has vertical and horizontal adjustments. But if they dont or dont have enough its good to know about the sight number on the bottom.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since I already have a front installed and the set comes with a new one I will take your advice about keeping a spare light pipe in my kit bag.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I figure its probably easier to change that in the field than the whole front assembly. That way the front sight stays in the same spot.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Sometimes if you go from a slow heavy load, to a fast light load, you really need/or have to change the front. What North Country Gal was talking about was dead on. For target work, a 6 O'clock hold works best, and is great for load development. Going to dead on, or in my case a 2 inches high, is a good game set up. At 100yds, I can't really see the two inches, but it allows for a center of mass aim on a deer chest out thru 150yds with the load I shoot.

Broke a pipe once hunting. I cut a small fresh twig and placed in pipe holder. The bright little end of the twig worked okay.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts