Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot hit much with the buckhorn sites. I want to upgrade to an aperature sight. Shooting metal plates out to 200 yards. Please recommend a site and let me know if I need to do anything with my front site. I’m shooting 340 gr cast.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Skinner is a great option, but so is the latest offering from RPP.

Reactions: rlm1

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I have a Lyman 66 on my 1895. It's been on it for 40 years. These type of click adj sights allow you to crank sights for different ranges easily and allow you to return to 0. Ideal for range & field use. They sight in just like a scope. The aperture size is more of a personal preference. Target apertures are usually the smaller and for hunting the larger works best. Williams makes similar sights.

Some of the popular aperture sights are basically made to sight in at one distance and lock. This is fine for rifles used in general hunting but restrict you as far as range adjustment when target shooting. On the 45/70 range adjustment is a great advantage when target shooting. I shot Silos with my 1895 and had the ranges marked on the witness plate. I could crank to any line of targets and 0 was my 100yd hunting 0. Using this type of sight eliminates you having to hold over or under.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Skinner, XS, New England Custom Guns, Williams.

I think Skinner is a better sight than XS, but the XS kit comes with a front sight as well. I haven't stretched out to 200 yards yet, but I easily hit a 6" plate at 100 yards with the XS setup I have and 405gr Missouri Bullet Company Buffalo #1 that I'm shooting.

With the NECG on my Mauser, I'm also consistently shooting 1-1.5 MOA

Nice thing about NECG is they send an adjustment table along with their sights, based on the sight radius of your gun. It takes ***all*** of the guesswork out of finding your zero. The one thing you'll need to figure out is the distance traveled of one complete turn of your elevation and windage adjustment screws (NECG also provides this when you buy their sights).

After that, it's a simple ratio to figure out how much adjustment you need, and if you know how far a full turn pushes your sights, you'll know precisely how many turns, or fractions of turns, to push your sight.

For example, say your first 5 on paper are 6" high and 3" left at 100 yards.

100 yards = 3600"

And say your sight radius is 26"

Your formula for elevation adjustment would be

x/26 = 6/3600

x = 0.043" of down elevation adjustment

since windage in this example is half the distance of elevation, you'd need to push your sight over by about 0.022".

If your screws have 10 threads per inch (they're finer than that, this is just any easy number to fool with), then you know that one full turn of the adjustment screw moves your sight by 0.1" If you have 24 TPI, then one complete turn of the screw would move your sight by 1/24 inch, or 0.042"

The real beauty is you don't even need to measure anything with calipers, provided you know your thread count.

edit
if you're sighting in at 50 yards and have say a 27.5" sight radius, plus 4" high and 7" left, your formula looks like this

50 yards = 1800", so

x/27.5 = 4/1800 (for elevation)

and

x/27.5 = 7/1800 (for windage)

x = 0.061" of down elevation adjustment, and about 0.106" of windage adjustment.

just adjust the formula to suit the numbers you're using/getting in the field.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you go with a Skinner there's a good chance you will need a taller front site. I installed a Skinner on my 1895 22" last year and went ahead and bought the .50" front and it was perfect, didn't have to file it down at all. If you're not sure I would get a tall one, you can always file it down if it's too tall but can't add to it if it's too short!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
If you go with a Skinner there's a good chance you will need a taller front site. I installed a Skinner on my 1895 22" last year and went ahead and bought the .50" front and it was perfect, didn't have to file it down at all. If you're not sure I would get a tall one, you can always file it down if it's too tall but can't add to it if it's too short!
Aperture sights use a bead front sight, how do you file down a BEAD front sight?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.