Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
You're right, two different rifles, takedown vrs solid frame. The top one is #136xxx, the bottom #221xxx. I suppose you could get what ever checkering you wanted from a special order gun.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I think the price is nuts ..

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Picture no. 5, what is the blank behind the rear sight, receiver end. The engraving is NO 1, it is the same pattern as in my book for a Model 1894.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason I posted the question was the mag tube looked funny, but about 30 minutes after I posted, I realized it was a take-down model and needed that feature........but it still looks like Winchester sights to me??

Shum8

G

·
I don't know based on some other prices I've seen for engraved 1893's and the fact that I don't think I've seen pics of more then a couple other engraved 25-36's I thought the price was alright. I can't afford it , but based on others I think its inline :? If I were buying it I would prefer it not to be takedown thou :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
It does appear to be #1 engraving. The engraver's name is not John Ulrich, as it was his brother Conrad who engraved for Marlin, and Conrad's son George. John was Conrad's brother in a private engraving business, prior to Conrad and George's employment by John Marlin.
The Winchester rear sight is as mentioned wrong. The Lyman(?) front sight would have been optional at that time.
I do have a little concern about the casehardening. Just because it's in very good shape, but no traces of varnish on the receiver. Every Marlin I've seen with very good case colors left, has also had some of the original varnish left on the receiver. Marlin dip varnished all their receivers after cashardening to preserve the colors. The buttplate doesn't fit as well as I'd like for a gun with that much color left, and the rollstamp is a bit light on the barrel.
I'd sure want to see this gun in person, before spending that kind of money. If a guy could pull the buttstock, you could tell right off. The varnish will always remain under the wood, unless it's recased, and there wont be any then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts