Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a used pistol grip rifle and would like to make it a straight grip. Before I get out the grinder and big hammer, would anyone like to trade? I would offer the lever and / or the tang for same in a straight grip.:willy::vroam:

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Honestly, most people are usually trying to convert the same direction you are so they don't want to give up the straight ones for curved. There is a post here somewhere where a member converts his curved to straight and makes it look easy. No heat involved and the lower tang only has about 5/16" of metal removed. I think that with a little planning, it could be done in an afternoon.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've noticed that, but as going the other direction requires parts, thought I'd ask first.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't have a trade, but my preference is curved, so I would be wanting to go the other way. I just don't intend to buy straight stocked.
If I buy an 1894 in 44mag, I'll be wanting to convert to curved.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in NY, near lake Ontario.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
The reason I asked is because Nessmuk, aka George Washington Sears, was famous for his explorations and writings in the Wellsboro, PA area. I have a friend in Wellsboro, with a very well used straight grip 336. It is from the 70's but looks like it is from the late 1800's! If you were close I would have introduced you and see if you could make a deal with him. The gun is well used and has never had the scope base filler screws removed. He knows nothing of this conversation, so pretty much forget about it; it was a thought if you lived in the same town.

·
Registered
661 Posts
How would a person deal with the serial number on the tang when swapping parts? Could be an issue.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have mine in hand yet, good point.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I don't have a trade, but my preference is curved, so I would be wanting to go the other way. I just don't intend to buy straight stocked.
If I buy an 1894 in 44mag, I'll be wanting to convert to curved.
You and me both!! I have a 1894 in 44 Mag straight stock and want to eventually change it for Pistol grip!!!

Doc

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
How would a person deal with the serial number on the tang when swapping parts? Could be an issue.

"The first rule of fight club" Once they are swapped just don't talk about it. If they were bought face to face without federal paperwork, the two guns are exactly the same as they were originally. The new ones with the serial # on the side of the action has solved a lot of them problems. Converting a curved to straight cutting the numbers off on the lower tang. Simple enough restamp them all but the letter is on the left side of the upper anyway.

The biggie with the feds is altering or removing numbers. Of course they would get a real problem for you if you shot someone then converted with new numbers.

Doing the conversion swapping parts with others, remember to record the old numbers, if it came to a court date through anothers fault it may save you a lot of grief. Date the transaction and such.

Just one more reason I like face to face sales with no paperwork. Oddly enough many of these lower tangs go on sale at a lot of the auction sites with no big problems.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, my offer stands if anyone is needing my parts for theirs.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the numbers on the lower tang are far enough forward that it's not an issue. Metal only gets removed from about the last 1.5 to 2 inches of tang. Less than you would expect. Look close at your parts and you'll be able to tell. A straight edge held to the bottom of the stock line helps.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts