Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a box of Hornady 255fg.FP cowboy cast bullets. They seem to have some sort of coating on them (powdery), is this lube from Hornady? Or do I have to learn about this and apply a lube to these bullets. Any idea how soft they are, won't be shooting at anything live, just target shooting. Thanks, Mr fixit
P4190012 (2).JPG P4190014 (2).JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
I think those are swaged bullets... I've loaded those in .38 and they were some of the most accurate bullets I've ever loaded.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
I've loaded same in 44mag, shot good...
I think it's lube.? Hope so because they were loaded As Is.... ;-)

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yup, that powdery stuff is the lube! They are fairly soft, I tried them in .45 Colt and not very successfully, I may have been pushing them too fast at 940 fps. Now I use LazerCast from Oregon Trail.

·
Super Moderator
16,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at a few books for loads, I find it interesting that Hornadys 6th Edition doesn't show Titegroup as a powder, although in the 8th Edition it shows a start of 4.5gr to a max. of 5.6gr. with fps 850-1000 respectively. Lees second edition list nothing for rifles in general, however they do have lists for 45LC, Ruger and T/C, they list powders I don't have, upon further research I found Lymans 49th Edition shows a recipe using Titegroup for a 255 gr. cast with a starting load of 5.6 gr to a max of 6.2 grs with FPS ranging from 816 to 896, the same info shows up in Lymans 3rd Edition of Pistol & Revolver Handbook, I assume this is for a pistol only and not a rifle. I have to ask though, Will the .454 diameter bullet have issues going through a .452 bore? I have read that reloaders do want a cast bullet a thou or two oversize for a good seal. Of the two Hornady & Lyman where would you start since Hornadys max is a starting point for Lyman? Mr fixit

·
Super Moderator
13,472 Posts
Looking at a few books for loads, I find it interesting that Hornadys 6th Edition doesn't show Titegroup as a powder, although in the 8th Edition it shows a start of 4.5gr to a max. of 5.6gr. with fps 850-1000 respectively. Lees second edition list nothing for rifles in general, however they do have lists for 45LC, Ruger and T/C, they list powders I don't have, upon further research I found Lymans 49th Edition shows a recipe using Titegroup for a 255 gr. cast with a starting load of 5.6 gr to a max of 6.2 grs with FPS ranging from 816 to 896, the same info shows up in Lymans 3rd Edition of Pistol & Revolver Handbook, I assume this is for a pistol only and not a rifle. I have to ask though, Will the .454 diameter bullet have issues going through a .452 bore? I have read that reloaders do want a cast bullet a thou or two oversize for a good seal. Of the two Hornady & Lyman where would you start since Hornadys max is a starting point for Lyman? Mr fixit
.002 over is ideal with cast boolits, and it's what I try to achieve when I cast my own. That will be perfect.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Is it just my old eyes messing with me, or is that bullet knurled? Sure looks like it. :questionmark:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yup, it's knurled.
For the OP, it might be a good idea to size these before loading them. Something I didn't do, as I didn't know any better yet. :flute:
For you that have had good luck with these, what speeds were you using for best obduration/accuracy? I'm only asking because I couldn't get them to work in my Blackhawk, still have a bunch loaded, and I gave quite a few away. In these times of scarce components where you are loading what you can get rather than what works best, I'm asking in case I have to go back to them.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I wouldn't resize them.....if you do that then the powder coating which is the only lubricant they have will be removed. Besides, since they are very soft lead even as much as .003-.004 over size the barrel will size them down just fine. If they will chamber then shoot them.

45nut, what did you mean when you said "I tried them in .45 Colt and not very successfully"? Was it accuracy, leading, chambering, pressure or? Curious minds would like to know.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
I wouldn't resize them.....if you do that then the powder coating which is the only lubricant they have will be removed. Besides, since they are very soft lead even as much as .003-.004 over size the barrel will size them down just fine. If they will chamber then shoot them.

45nut, what did you mean when you said "I tried them in .45 Colt and not very successfully"? Was it accuracy, leading, chambering, pressure or? Curious minds would like to know.
YES... don't resize them!

I'm going to guess they leaded the barrel pretty bad, he mentioned running them almost at 1000fps. I don't think they are intended for that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
No, they didn't lead the barrel, just that I've gotten tighter groups at 25 feet with my 870 shooting birdshot. :biggrin:
If the people with experience say don't size them, then by all means don't! I'll take their word for it.
Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
16,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got a reply from Hornady regarding the hardness of the bullet, they don't do hardness tests, but know these are very soft as they are made of pure lead.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I guess they need to go slow then! 800 fps is probably better. They should probably put that information on the box before some genius like me tries to get the original 45 Colt speeds out them. Live and learn! :flute:

·
Super Moderator
13,472 Posts
Got a reply from Hornady regarding the hardness of the bullet, they don't do hardness tests, but know these are very soft as they are made of pure lead.
A dollop of unique or trailboss should do you good then. They're already .002-.003 larger than you groove diamater. My guestimation, is that they'll obturate before they hit the leade/throat, and won't leave any trace of lead behind. If they do, as John stated, it's pure lead and it will act as a lubricant anyways.

I'm not sure if you said it or not, but is this for a rifle or revolver?

·
Super Moderator
16,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For the rifle Travis,....don't have a pistol in 45Colt...........................................................................................Yet!!:biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
13,472 Posts
For the rifle Travis,....don't have a pistol in 45Colt...........................................................................................Yet!!:biggrin:
The bug will bite you soon enough! :biggrin:

Like I said, don't worry about leading. You're already perfectly oversized for your bore, you'll still get some obturation, and pure lead again, acts as a lubricant anyways, just remember to keep it slow, and keep an eye on it for the first 5-10 shots and see what it's doing in there. It may take a few shots for your bore to be "seasoned" to cast boolits, before you get the accuracy you're after. Remember that leaded gasoline lubed valve guides, so a little won't hurt in your bore.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I had a box of those several years back when I got my first 45 Colt rifle. If I remember correctly they didn't shoot well in my gun and leaded like crazy but I think I was trying to drive them faster than what they were designed for. If I remember correctly Hornady list a max speed of 750 fps from a revolver for them. Loading them at that level should be alright in your rifle but don't expect much increase in velocity from the rifle. The speed will just be to slow to take advantage in the rifle barrel. I kind of suspect they also have a tad of tin mixed in to give them a little more strength. Not much tin but just a smidgen. Now that I have a 45 Colt revolver I might pickup a box just for low velocity fun loads.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Every .45 colt bullet I have laoded is .454 sized and they ahve shot excellent. But thery should work well. I use Clays powder for handgun and as I recall 4.5 grains under a 230 grain round nose was my last loading. I cast mt oiwn bullets and size the ones i will use for the acp but not the ones for the colt. Not sized they are about .454 every time fore me. Given I would have to check the Lyamn 49 th edtion for the heavier bullet but this load has been exceptionly accuarte for me

·
Registered
126 Posts
According to my Hornady 7th edition, 5.6gr of Trailboss is max load for that powder and will get 750fps from a 7 1/2 inch barreled revolver.
5.7gr of Unique will get you 750fps and 7.0gr will achieve 850fps and that is max for that powder.

I was using the 200 grainers and 950fps is in the middle of the speed range for that bullet, all this according to Hornady's 7th edition, which was current when I used this load. I thought, since it was their bullet, their load data would be the preferred source.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts