Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you use Lee's Zip Trim for your bottleneck brass trimming? If you do, what are the pros and cons?
I have been using a RCBS Trim Pro Case Trimmer for over ten years.

Here is the Lee product ...

bjm

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Whats the recoil rope starter for?? That thing got a chainsaw engine in it? ;D ;D ;D
Seriously, if you have a cordless drill I don't think it is necessary, but I haven't tried one out so don't know for sure..

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eaglesnest said:
Whats the recoil rope starter for?? That thing got a chainsaw engine in it? ;D ;D ;D
Seriously, if you have a cordless drill I don't think it is necessary, but I haven't tried one out so don't know for sure..
Lol ... here is the video I saw this morning on the Lee Zip Trim ... go toward the bottom of the page and click on the "case trimming and chamfering" ... http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

There is nothing wrong my RCBS trimmer and still looks/works like new. I was just thinking that if I start shooting my bottleneck calibers more this year (I plan to) that maybe something else would be easier on my hands. I used to shoot up to 400 rounds a month in my .223, .243, and .308 bolt rifles. I am going to spend some practice time this summer shooting my 7mm-08, .270, and .308's at longer ranges.

bjm

·
Registered
320 Posts
I use and like the ZT, works better with individual shell holders than 3 jaw chuck, I hold the cutter with vice grips and leave resizing lube in necks until after trimming.
No batteries to charge or sparking motors around the powder and primers.

·
Banned
27 Posts
I used one for the 223 brass I bought from Midway (1,ooo cases) and it was faster than my other trimmer. Would I buy another? Depends on how many cases I had to trim! It did the job to my tastes. hth greg

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I used one when I first got started and it worked OK. Like someone else said, you are better off using the shell holders than a universal 3 jaw chuck. I replaced it with an RCBS Trim Pro, but it is still mounted on a corner of my work table as a backup.

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts
I currently use it for the 444, 45/70 and soon the 450. No need on the 44 and 45. I use the individual shell holders versus the universal chuck. I will keep it as a backup forever but I'm looking at a Hornady trimmer sooner than later.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies ... I appreciate it. Not sure if I will try one or not ::). My Trim Pro does the job ... guess I'm getting lazy and looking for an easier way :).

bjm

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Im a precession reloader, I only use a LE Wilson mini lathe style case trimmer.
Id not let in my house

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I only wish RCBS would manufacture the 3-way cutter in .35Rem caliber. I have them in .270 and .223 and they work great and do all the trimming, chamfering and deburring all at once.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2shotal said:
I only wish RCBS would manufacture the 3-way cutter in .35Rem caliber. I have them in .270 and .223 and they work great and do all the trimming, chamfering and deburring all at once.
I have one for my .223 brass but have not used it in a long time. I have done well with my Trim Pro and will probably continue using it with the regular cutter. The regular cutter is on sale now at MidwayUSA for $15.00.

bjm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts