Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Got a couple of SOG folders. Good knives strong, stay sharp. Mine have been used and abused and I've had no problems or complaints.
Very nice blade... My wife would thrust it into my ribcage if I spent that much though! And I thought my SOG demo was expensive!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can anyone tell me which wood be a better steel. Stainless or tool steel. I have some carbon steel knives and I like carbon steel but would stainless be a better choice for a camp and all around knife?
That's gonna depend on how hard you like to work when sharpening. All knives eventually dull, stainless is a BEAR to sharpen properly with hand tools. I like razor sharp, so I prefer carbon steel for skinning. My discontinued SOG folder is near impossible to sharpen, but it holds an edge quite a while, and I can usually con SOG into sharpening it for free when the edge starts to go.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
i have been running a SOG on my side for the last 11+ years. i personally love them, for the price, build quality, edge that they hold, and ease of sharpening i think they cant be beat. My opionion i know, the X-ray vision fits my hand best of any folder that i have used(i run xl/xxl gloves). i dont care for the flash, but of all my SOG's and my friends that i have sharpened on ocation they sharpen up quickly, and hold their edge great. I also have one fixed blade(a team leader made with Duratech) and it'll open a deers rib cage like its cutting skin, i can fully dress two deer(skin/gut) wash it off and then shave my arm with it with nothing else done to it.
As far as custom kinves? randells sure look nice but i couldnt bite on the price(even used) and i ended up getting a custom knife made from a knife maker and think i came out a long ways up. check him out if you want, the names Ryan Weeks, www.ryanwknives.com.
Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I had kind of made up my mind about getting a randal #14. But I have been doing a lot of research and talking to some people about it.
The randle is going to cost around $600 with shipping. Pros Its a randall, gaurenteed quailty, tool steel, and its made in the USA. Cons: its a 7 1/2 inch blade which I feel is big for camping, fishing and hunting (I FEEL) I don't know how I feel about the shape of the handle options.
Now iv also been looking at the SOG bowie 2.0. Pros: I like the handle, Blade is 6.4 Aus 8 steel. Cons: made in tiawan, The sheath has bad reviews which is fixable but may cost more money to replace.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I had kind of made up my mind about getting a randal #14. But I have been doing a lot of research and talking to some people about it.
The randle is going to cost around $600 with shipping. Pros Its a randall, gaurenteed quailty, tool steel, and its made in the USA. Cons: its a 7 1/2 inch blade which I feel is big for camping, fishing and hunting (I FEEL) I don't know how I feel about the shape of the handle options.
Now iv also been looking at the SOG bowie 2.0. Pros: I like the handle, Blade is 6.4 Aus 8 steel. Cons: made in tiawan, The sheath has bad reviews which is fixable but may cost more money to replace.
You could probably buy 4 or 5 SOG Bowies for the same money. I would go with the SOG hands down.

Reactions: erik7181

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use my Trident on the fishing boat and it holds an edge no problem. I have a "Field" knife with BG 42 steel that I like. I gave my old Tigershark to my daughter for the grandchildren to use camping, under her supervision. A Tomcat is in my tool box. I like SOG products.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
I don't know how I missed this thread but I've been running around with a Flash II in my pocket for about 6 months. I love the blade but hate the pocket clip (minor quibble), I've had that clip snag on my flannel shirts and rip the knife out of my pocket more times than I can count. I've been meaning to bend the clip down a bit so that stop happening but haven't gotten to it yet. I'll also mention that there is just a little bit of wobble wher the blade is attached to the handle which I suspect is caused by the plastic handle flexing slightly (another minor quibble). I think my Kershaw Blur was a bit better built but I prefer the blade of the SOG. If I could have the handle and pocket clip of the Blur with the blade and assist mechanism of the Flash II it'd be just about perfect.

Stu

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a Sog Twitch, the smaller one, loved it but lost it. Sog's are great knives but its awful hard to beat a Kershaw. This here is my favorite/everyday carry knife. Called "Needs Work". Has the speed safe. Made in USA-Some Kershaws ain't. Just food for thought.

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts