Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use them? I'm comsidering the sog Trident 2.0. When I was young I had a ka bar I bought in the p/x on benning. It was a great knife, used the hell out of it. But now its at that age where it needs to have the blade reprofiled and I honestly would just rather retire it and keep it in my footlocker till my kids are old enough and start snooping and find it.
My father still has his randall somewhere, I have one on order comeing in 2016.
I have toyed with the idea of buying a stock #16.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I don't have one of their knives but I have one of their throwing hawks and if their knives are as well made as the hawk you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
I like Sog knives, but opted for the Gerber Steadfast for my combat knife due price.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I carry a sogzilla knife every day. I've had it for a while and it it still very sharp. I've always been afraid to try to sharped in because I might screw it up haha. Great knife, sharp, light, thin and easy to carry around, and very tough.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've never owned a SOG,but have sharpened many of them for my friends,law enforcement,first responders,and also the hawks,the knives hold a heck of a edge you can't go wrong with one...good knife

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I've got a SEAL PUP and one other in there, who's name escapes me at the moment, but yeah, they are very decent knives. My Dad passed those two down to me and he carried one in his ruck and even when diving for years.

They are not made like they used to be made - not even in the same place anymore from what I understand. I think they were made in Washington or Oregon maybe, and now they are made in China. I dunno, double check that.

Anyways, IMHO the best knife deals out there right now, by far - and it is not even close - are either the knives from Swamp Rat Knife Works or the knives from Scrap Yard Knife works. Both of them are Busse family members ... their steel is incredible, their designs are solid and their prices are just awesome for what you get with those knives.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually, they are still manufactured in Lynnwood Wa. They mostly use Chinese steel. They also still have the lifetime no questions asked guarantee on most models. They will sharpen them while you wait often at no charge, but if you send them in there is a nominal charge. My company is a SOG dealer (full disclosure :). I'm still pretty happy with them.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Great knives.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a first modal seal pup that was marked seki japan when I worked on the docks but droped it in the water climbing on a barge. I remember it being really sharp. Now there marked tiwan. I actully decided to go with a stock randall from AG Russell.
Like I said I have a custom sportsmens bowie which should be done in 2016 which ill keep in the safe but I'm going to buy the modal 16 fighter to use.
I really like the sog trident but I think the randall is the way to go.
I can't get a good edge on my ka bar so its not comeing out of retirement.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
have had a SOG flash ll for a few years....a folder that will take care of most knife chores....good knife

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I carry a benchmade 485 and it holds an edge great. But I'm more of a fixed blade fan. I like to imagine I'm gonna use them more then I probably will.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a Seal Pup. It dulled pretty quickly dressing out a deer two seasons ago. Seems like my Gerbers do a better job on the skinning/breaking down. I really like the Pup alot, though, but will probably use it more for a utility/woods knife and use the Gerbers for hunting. Just my experience, and I'm admittedly not a knife expert or anything.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've got a few SOGs, my favorite is the SOG Demo... Beautiful lines. Nice feel.

SOG-SSD01L-SOG-Demo.jpg

Reactions: erik7181

·
Registered
118 Posts
Got a couple of SOG folders. Good knives strong, stay sharp. Mine have been used and abused and I've had no problems or complaints.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can anyone tell me which wood be a better steel. Stainless or tool steel. I have some carbon steel knives and I like carbon steel but would stainless be a better choice for a camp and all around knife?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts