Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I and looking to buy a ghost ring setup for my 1894P and was wondering if anyone has any input on this matter? good or bad
I just hate the factory sites and think this might be the way to go

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Not a ghost ring per se, but I mounted a WGRS on mine and love it. Faster in general, and much easier to be precise with my old eyes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
adk big buck,
... ghost ring setup for my 1894P and was wondering if anyone has any input on this matter? good or bad.
I also hated the factory sights. Now have AO GhostRing sights on my 1895 and 1894. Here's my 1895 setup ...

Basically, you place the top of the post on-target and the rear site becomes a "ghost" (goes away) ...
With the GhostRing, you simply point at the target w/ the top-of-the-post.
This is a great "sight-pointing" system.

Bill

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Bill's right. Just look thru the ring and put the front sight on the target. The eye finds the exact center because that's where the light is brightest. My 1895GS shoots just as good with the AO ring as it does with the Leupold Scout Scope (the scope came off this year....don't miss it much). I use a small HiViz green and it doesn't cover much target. Just perfect.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I like the ghost ring setup from this company which the others have mentioned.

http://xssights.com/

They were formerly Ashley express, ashley outdoors, AO sights, etc...

I prefer the smaller of the two rear aperatures they send. I think it is a .190 or so instead of a .210. Makes the rifle very quick, especially close range.

I have wondered if the rear aperature from a mini-14 would fit in the base for the 1894 to get an even smaller ghost ring. Has anyone tried that? Hmmm. I should contact xssights.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ghost sights

Hey, imashooter2,
I like the look of your rear sight. Could you direct me to the company or catalog? I'm not clicking with the WGRS. Did you keep the stock front sight?
I've seen the AO, or XS sights but they seem aestheticly flawed as they sit too high. I have Williams on my .35 and 1895s but would like to keep the lines of the 1894 cleaner. But I was shooting the 1894 tonight and realized that the stock sights are pretty limited as the light dims so something has gotta change.

Thanks,
BigAl

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
WGRS is the Williams Guide Receiver Sight. The Williams web site doesn't sell anything but their fire sight combo's these days, but you can get the WGRS from Brownell's or call Williams at (800) 530-9028. The sight comes standard with a .093 aperture, but you can buy disks from Williams with holes from .050 through .150. You can also unscrew the disk and use just the threaded barrel as a true ghost ring. Be advised that an 8-40 hole will need to be tapped in the receiver to mount the sight flush with the rear of the receiver. Use the front scope mount hole for the rear sight base location, drill a fresh hole for the front sight base screw. See the picture below for a WGRS mounted in both factory holes. I used the stock front bead and filed it off to a square post. Works very well for me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've got XS ghost ring sights on both my Marlins - 1894 .44 Mag and my .450 GG and love them. Very rugged and superior to the factory sights by far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotta love the XS ghost ring system. If you call and ask them the have a ghost ring that is threaded to accept williams apertures. I've found the Ghost ring to be very sturdy, hold its zero, and to be extremly quick on target. I'd get it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just mounted some XS ghost ring sights on my 1894C this weekend. I ordered them from midwayusa as they were on sale. Took the rifle to the range this weekend and loved the performance. Like already mentioned, I prefer the smaller of the two rings that was included. The sight mounts directly into the existing scope holes and there's no need to drilling and tapping like with the WGRS which doesn't line up quite right anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Arizona said:
I've got XS ghost ring sights on both my Marlins - 1894 .44 Mag and my .450 GG and love them. Very rugged and superior to the factory sights by far.
I’m getting ready to buy a (new) Marlin 1894 in 44mag/spec. and I’ll be installing a XO Ghost Sight (w/ front sight) from Midway.
Product #: 920514
Manufacturer #: ML-0012-5

Anybody have any trouble with them ? Didn’t have to “call the company for a taller front”, or anything like that ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm stuck between the XS and the Wild West ghost rings. The Wild West cost more, but I like the idea of having "wings" around my rear sight. Has anyone had any experience with the WW ghost rings, and has anyone had trouble with the XS losing zero because they don't have anything protecting them?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've used the Williams peep sight with the aperture removed as a ghost ring setup ON MY 336 SC in 30-30 for years now. I have the Williams red Firesight bead on the front. The whole setup is fast and accurate. A lot of the accuaracy comes from practice using certain loads and being able to estimate range. I recently shot a coyote at 85+ yards - placed the front bead on the base of his throat and that's where it hit. Bang - dead yote.
I agree with Tubby and others on this thread that the ghost ring has become preferable to a low powered scope. As far as ruggedness goes, I keep my carbine in a leather scabbard and then behind the seat of my pickup truck. Witth all this rough handling I have never had a problem with the rear sight being off center (which is the beauty of iron sights).

MadDog

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do those ghost rings work withaged eyes (69 yrs) that normally need a scope ?
I sure would like a "truck gun" that would pretty well hold zero, no matter what !

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Anonymous said:
Do those ghost rings work withaged eyes (69 yrs) that normally need a scope ?
I sure would like a "truck gun" that would pretty well hold zero, no matter what !
Not as good as a scope, but ever so much better than a blade and post. I have had "old eyes" since I was 6 years old and they work pretty well for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have Wild West Guns ghost ring, their green firesight front sight and opened sight hood. Also have a screw in aperture but only use it for target work. In the field use the very large ghost ring because is used in close quarters for elk or other slobbering fuzzy environmentally protected critters now encroaching all over WY. Like the ruggedness of the system. Scopes for long range, use the lever where it belongs - in the timber or for close range defense.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts